How Important Are Sports in Your Life?

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 05:24 am
I just was reading a thread about Wimbeldon, and I realized something. I know next to nothing about professional tennis. When I thought about it some more, I found that I knew very little about professional sports at all.

To many people, sports are a very significant part of their lives, be it of the spectator variety, or that in which one participates. How important are sports to you? Do you watch sports on TV, go to games, sports bars? Do you engage in sports yourself? Team or individual?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 17,500 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:47 am
In our family, my wife is the sports fan. We faithfully follow the Atlanta Braves, Florida State football and basketball, ACC basketball and March madness. We try to attend 1-3 games in each sport, but TV viewing is our main stay.

For me, some sports signal the rites of Spring, Fall and Winter. Being a maple leaf, I look forward to the changes in the seasons.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:56 am
Lost interest. I might make it to a minor league baseball game, but it's not a high priority.

And I'm not really a team player. You can't march to the beat of a different drummer coming out of the huddle... it just doesn't work that way. This time of year I get most of my aerobics on the idiot end of a shovel.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 07:08 am
Why do those of us who do not follow sports, watch sports, or participate in sports belong to the category "Other?" Why do we have to "Explain" ourselves?

It seems to me that those who go

"The whole 9 yards, Go to games, watch on TV, participate myself."

should have to explain themselves.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 07:17 am
Not at all. Zip. Nada. Nothing.

I prefer yoga, pilates, ballet, walking, things I can for free and alone.

I use to play softball decades ago.

Lost my competitive spirit, but, like Pavlov's dog, I bet I'd still run after a rolling softball if one came my way.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 07:19 am
fishing and punchin the heavy bag. I cant watch football, but I can watch bass fishin. Do I need help?
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:56 am
I do a bit of all of the above.

I'll go to a game if I have a free ticket.

I'll watch if one of "My Teams" is on, or if I see a potential for a good game.

I study Aikido (Does that count as a sport?)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:29 am
Hmmm...

I'll see about 10 or 15 professional baseball games this year; usually make it to two or three professional basketball games, and had season tickets to the inaugural season of the Texans (NFL) this past fall. I live thirty minutes or less from the stadium in each case, though, so it's much easier for me to attend. (Sidebar: when I moved back to Houston eleven years ago, one of my conditions was to live close enough to the Astrodome to be able to go to a ballgame whenever I felt like it. I found a small apartment close enough for me to walk from my front door to the ticket box office in 20 minutes.)

I saw a couple of college basketball games (U of H) this year; a couple of college baseball games (Rice and U of H) as well.

About the only thing I'm NOT a fan of is hockey.

I'll watch on TV all of those (not hockey) plus track and field, the Olympics, college football, basketball, baseball, professional boxing, tennis (the women are more entertaining than the men these days), golf...

I play rotisserie sports online also. No money involved; just for fun.

I do go to the racetrack a few times a year but don't consider that sporting.

I have in the recent past played softball, racqetball, and tennis but won't any more because of the potential of old bones and ligaments being broken. I still play golf about monthly and manage to get into my gym about twice weekly for some weight work and aerobics (no running; bike only).

So, I suppose I'm a fanatic.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:55 am
Im a pretty big Hockey fan but, the price of tickets keeps me waiting for those free handouts and with my recently changing positions, Ive had few of those the last few years which has actually made me less of a fan...I watch on the tube less often even, seem to be less interested in a way.
Ive been known to be so bad as to ignore people and watch the game if out and I can see it in my view...Im working on that.
I guess I can vote as a fantatic but, Im really unsure....its evolving and all.

Other than that...Im not interested in most sports. I'll watch outlaw racing if I happen by it through the remote, I watch a few baseball games but, usually dont watch more than a few minutes before Ive had enough. Football I could watch but, would never go to a game...did enough of that freezin my butt off when I was younger. I went to a Celtics game once and that was enough. If I want to sleep I can put on golf, Im really really bad a mini golf so, Ive never even given it a thought as in a participant.

Strange to think about though as I had a few years of overachieving in the all sports catagory as a participant but, nah...not any longer. I used to play tennis and was actually a varsity badminton player in high school, always enjoyed all kinds of sports through college, and went on to get into the racing circut for a few years but, I wont even run after a frisbee at this point. I could be convinced to prolly do something like archery again....not much running and all there but, its not something I have to do...participate in some sport...this also could change but, Im not a fanatic anymore, and Im okay with that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:54 pm
I played competitive b-ball on and off until my late 30's, when tendonitis started really limiting what I could do. But my love of the game remains, and so I watch pro basketball all season, and am pretty rabid during the playoffs. I watch some college basketball. I'm a fan of pro tennis - The Williams sisters, Davenport, Capriati, Agassi, Roddick...

I suppose I'm generally just fascinated by what the human body can do in certain circumstances...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:13 pm
I was never much of a sports player as a kid. (In camp, when we played softball, I was always the one WAY in the outfield). As a teenager, I was a dedicated Dodger (Brooklyn) fan.

My 1st husband was a spectator sports nut, so much so, that the whole idea really turned me off.

As an adult I am into the gym. I love to work out, lift weights etc. The only sports that I will sometimes watch are tennis matches and gymnastics on TV. The rest I can leave alone!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:19 pm
T.v. now and again. c.i.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:24 pm
I voted for "Other", but I'm actually the third choice in reverse. I don't really play sports but I will watch 'em.

I watch, hmm, baseball, basketball, wrestling, horse racing, hockey and Olympics stuff, but I really am not a fanatic about any of these (even wrestling; definitely don't watch as much as I used to). Can't stand football, and I'm not a big tennis fan.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:04 pm
My wife watches more golf tournaments on t.v. than me. But, again, she sits in front of the t.v. a great deal more than me. c.i.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:06 pm
As a kid, I played on the high school volleyball team and swam on the local swim team.

Anytime I go see the Oakland A's play at the Colisuem, they lose so I stopped going. I'm a jinx for them. They could be on an undefeated winning streak for the season. If I go to the game, they lose.

I love watching sporting events on TV, especially the Olympics and other non-mainstream sports. It is even more fun and entertaining to watch them from another country where you get to see all[/i] the participants and not just the American ones and not just the top 5 media darlings.

These days, I suppose you can get the same thing from a satellite tv dish, but I wouldn't know. Have never seen one up close and personal.

I truly despise the way international sporting events are telecast by American broadcast and cable networks.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:14 pm
All I know, is when the Red Sox win the world series, and I'm in Boston, I'm going to go out, get hammered, scream at people, and pass out in an alley in a puddle of my own puke.

Wait, that's every other weekend.

But anyway, I played sports up through high school, and now just into fitness...but I miss playing baseball.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:21 pm
Sports fan here.

Played soccer as a young child, baseball as an older child, was deeply involved in athletics as a teenager; played soccer and baseball and was involved in bowling leagues as an adult. Every now and then, I go to the rink to ice skate. I also do yoga (not a sport, but exercise).

Went with my dad to maybe half the season games (soccer as a young child, baseball as an older child); as an adult to maybe 5 baseball games a year (until 2000, when my beloved Tigres moved from M.C) and to 3-4 soccer games a year (with my sons: huge footie fans).

I have been to two Olympic Games (1968 and 1992), and hope to be in Athens 2004. Also to Panamerican Games, CentralAmerican-Caribbean Games, and Universiads. To one Soccer World Cup,
Davis Cup tennis games, Formula I Grand Prix (twice), and one World Diving Championship. I've been to Italian Calcio games, NHL games and Major League games (but not World Series, yet).

I don't watch too much sports on TV. Maybe 2-3 hours a week. Except if it's Olympic Games or Soccer World Cups. There, I'm a sponge, and if the hours are against me I hardly get any sleep.

What sport bores me to death? Golf. They say it's fun to play, though.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:22 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
I love watching sporting events on TV, especially the Olympics and other non-mainstream sports. It is even more fun and entertaining to watch them from another country where you get to see all[/i] the participants and not just the American ones and not just the top 5 media darlings.

I truly despise the way international sporting events are telecast by American broadcast and cable networks.

Couldn't agree more!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:39 pm
My sports fanaticism has varied. I played sports all the time in h.s. -- soccer, track, cross-country skiing (hey, it was Minnesota.) Track was the only one I was really good at. Sprinter.

My dad has always played pick up b-ball, (he lives near the Timberwolves training facility and plays with some players occasionally (!) -- little Jewish 60-yr-old) and I would go watch when I was a kid, shoot around with him a bit. I never really liked organized girl's basketball teams, though. Too nice. They didn't like "no blood, no foul" . Wink Never got into pick up seriously until I was in college. Spent a summer at home playing, really got into it, and got pretty good. For a while there I was playing 2-3 hours everyday, with guys. Long enough ago that I was a novelty -- pre-WNBA. Probably couldn't get away with it now. (I depended on the guys laying off, not defending me too closely, then I'd have a wide-open three and take it -- once they figured out I could do that, I'd fake a three, they'd come up to block it, and I'd duck under and drive in for a lay-up. Once they figured out I could do THAT, I was finished for a while unless they decided to humor me or I got a steal. I was always the shortest and weakest player, but scrappy on defense. Occasionally there was someone as short and weak as me, or maybe a little lazier, and then I'd get to really play, and that was SO fun.)

In terms of watching sports, I've really drastically cut down, and that has a certain snowball effect. Like, I haven't seriously watched the NBA for a while, so I've lost track of who the players are, and don't know the new guys, so am less interested... etc. Still have to watch the Packers if they're on, though. That'll probably last until Brett retires, then I dunno.

[size=7]edit-- mixed up the three/layup order[/size]
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:09 pm
I was never a fan of watching sports either on TV or in the stands. I have gotten into passing some time at games lately. I went to a sox game a couple of years ago. It was fun, but I didn't follow the season. I went to a Bruins game too. That was fun!

Anyway, I played sports as a kid, mostly gymnastics and some soccor. As an adult I don't play sports. It's too bad. I keep wanting to get involved with a casual bball group. I tried the bartenders' softball league in Athens, GA, but my shoulders are too messed up to play.
0 Replies