Point taken.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 02:14 pm
Damn, Lindsay Davenport lost! Confused Confused

Well here are my picks for who's winning the semifinal:

1.- Serena Williams defeats 3.- Justine Henin 6-4 5-7 6-4

2.- Kim Clijsters defeats 4.- Venus Williams 6-3 6-4

Btw,frolic, what did you mean by Mary Pierce being an ox, or did you meant a fox?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 03:31 pm
An OX, but its a Flemish expression so the meaning gets lost translating it. a bear, a Buffalo,... She was to fat/lazy to lift her feet!

Its Belgium against the US (or Williams as u like)

Lets hope for another Belgian Final, and this time with more suspense.

Jenifer has shown Serena isn't untouchable. One more game and it could have been the other way round and Jen in the semi's.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 04:46 pm
frolic wrote:
An OX, but its a Flemish expression so the meaning gets lost translating it. a bear, a Buffalo,... She was to fat/lazy to lift her feet!

Its Belgium against the US (or Williams as u like)

Lets hope for another Belgian Final, and this time with more suspense.

Jenifer has shown Serena isn't untouchable. One more game and it could have been the other way round and Jen in the semi's.

You can live in that fantasy if you want to, but the last 4 matches have gone similarly - Capriati fast out of the gate; Serena catching her and sitting her back down. And Serena has beat her the last 8 times they've met - but I'm sure Capriati fans feel better saying "just one more game..."

"let's hope for a Belgian final?" Now, why the hell would I hope for that?
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:57 pm
As much as I would like a Belgian final, with Justine having problems tossing the balls that won't be possible.

Btw, Venus shall fall to Clijsters! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:16 pm
Davenport, I am glad she has held as far as that. Always liked her, an actual sane woman tennis player and good too. She is one who will be able to write about it all later, with no help from a coauthor.

I, a woman, in case anyone here doesn't know that, have always like women's tennis somewhat (if not always) more than men's for the same reason that I like under 6 foot basketball at Venice Beach better than pro dunkathon games.....at best, more finesse, more tactics, just...more thought involved.
Haven't followed sports lately, but used to follow fairly closely.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:23 pm
"an actual sane woman tennis player and good too."

What have the rest of women in tennis done to make you perceive them as insane?
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:29 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Davenport, I am glad she has held as far as that. Always liked her, an actual sane woman tennis player and good too. She is one who will be able to write about it all later, with no help from a coauthor.

I, a woman, in case anyone here doesn't know that, have always like women's tennis somewhat (if not always) more than men's for the same reason that I like under 6 foot basketball at Venice Beach better than pro dunkathon games.....at best, more finesse, more tactics, just...more thought involved.
Haven't followed sports lately, but used to follow fairly closely.

More tactics in women's game, false.

The men's game requires a lot of tactics, since it takes a lot of them to break one guy's serve, & also a little of finesse(for dropshots & volleys, which actually are more in men's game than in women's game)

Btw is much more competitive men's game than women's game, the only exciting matches of women's tour is from Quarterfinals to the Final, not before, while at men's tour in every match there's the possibility of an upset.

PS.- I really hope Lindsay may be able to come back to Wimbledon next year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:39 pm
Oh, I have paid half attention to tennis for a bunch of years. It is true that women's tennis went to power some time ago, and Lindsay has gotten as far as she has by power. Yah, it may be that there is less serve and volley in women's than men's now, I am not really watching it. I am just not that interested in power as what it is all about.

Sane, well, gee, have you read various interviews? Lindsay was a mediator, often sympathetic in interview re various players behaving petulantly, trying to see their side and calming waters. A pattern over a number of years.

Sorry, not interested enough to go get years' worth of quotes from insane women tennis players.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:47 pm
I don't really dislike women players, and I suppose there are immature guys too, I was picking Lindsay out as apparently quite a lucid person. This is not a knock in other clothing of the Williams sisters, I am interested in them, and am glad they have done well, in part because they have added finesse to their already good power.

Did Lindsay gang up with whatsername, against the Williams sisters? I agree that wasn't her finest hour.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:52 pm
The Williams sisters, one or the other or both at the same time, keep growing, and I would like one of them to win. On the other hand, Clijsters seems sharp.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:08 am
Williams 6-3 6-2 Henin-Hardenne

Brilliant tennis on both sides of the net sadly one of them had to lose.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 10:45 am
frolic wrote:
Williams 6-3 6-2 Henin-Hardenne

Brilliant tennis on both sides of the net sadly one of them had to lose.

Yeah, I guess Henin was good competition - I'm looking forward to the Cloisters (sp?) girl and Serena - lotta power there...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 05:43 am
Gloat, gloat, Gloat......
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 10:19 pm
My picks for the finals:

Men's Final
Roger Federer beats Mark Philippoussis 6-4 3-6 6-3 7-6

Women's Final
Serena Williams beats Venus Williams 6-4 6-2
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 10:42 pm
Btw, men's rankings will get more interesting, Lleyton Hewitt slips to the fifth position, which means that unless he wins the US Open & some Master Series we will have a new season ending #1, could be Agassi, Ferrero or Federer, it's gonna get interesting.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 01:15 pm
Serena won, 1 out of 2 in my picks so far
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 02:40 pm
Dux
Let's hope your second pick doesn't come home.Flip has by far the best legs!

Another Aussie in the final! Aussies in the last 4 mens finals! Go Flip!

Tood Woodbridge has just won, with Jonas Bjorkman, his 8th mens doubles title.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:29 am
2 out of 2, Roger Federer won!!, this is great! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:31 am
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
0 Replies