Hanging art and the art of procrastination.

morganwood

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 02:10 am
Gyprock seems to be an Australian product?
I typed gyprock+picture hanging in google and got several hits.

In dry wall, you do not have to find studs. There are many types of simple hangers on the marlet with weight bearing ratiogs from10 to 50lbs. They are simple to use and require no drilling. I have 50+ pictures hanging in my home and I have found that the simple hangers you can get at a hardware store to be sufficient. The important thing (Beyond picture placement) is to maintain the aprox 30 degree angle to the wall when driving (tapping) in the small nails that secure the hangers. I have a 3' x 5' framed stainglass mirror that is hung with 2 hangers used side-by-side and it works fine. The mirror is quite heavy. If you would like nice looking hangers a company called Light Impressions sells some higher quality hangers. They also sell security hanging systems for valuable art works. Again, gyprock and drywall seem to be quite similar but that may not be the case. picture hanging in Google should also lead to a lot of useful links. It is not a difficult task. It is a little tedious if the pictures use picture wires and you want to hang them so that the frames are on a level line as the wire on each picture is probably a little different on each print. There is a inexpensive, simple plastic tool that is made to level pictures that use hanging wire. I'm sure that you can find it through a Google search for picture hanging supplies. The place I mentioned is:
<lightimpressionsdirect.com>
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 02:33 am
Here is a link to a place that sells hardware and the hanging tool I mentioned.
http://www.cornerhardware.com/cat_406/Hardware/Hooks_Hangers_Brackets/Picture_Hangers.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 03:09 am
Thankee, Morganwood - good to have your experience.

I guess gyprock and plasterboard are the same - is that "dry walls"?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 04:21 am
yep, gypboard=plasterboard=drywall=sheetrock.
Well have you got em hung yet, or are we using this information gathering to further procrastinate.?
i cant help on the drywall direct fasteners, no experience, dont know how strong they are for hanging framed works but if Morganwood has 50lb mirrors hung and the wall isnt deformed , sounds real easy . Just get on with it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 04:57 am
LOL!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 02:53 pm
of course if youd like to wine and dine a few male friends for aide as well....dont let that opportunity pass you by either Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 03:04 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 03:40 pm
Lessee here. I have done a lot of picture hanging in my day. I like Farmer's answer, with some modifications, but don't think Morganwood is offbase either.

I have had crown molding in two homes (corner molding?) and have now in this home some molding that is about a foot down from the ceiling in some rooms that I can hang certain s-shaped bands on, and from those hang fish line. I use the highest weight fishline, that is the one that takes 50 pounds. I have old fashioned plaster on the walls and don't particularly like to mess it all up, since I do move pictures around on walls all the time. For one thing, many of them are my own pieces, and I sell some of them.

So, with my fish line method, I use one or two lines, depending on the width of the picture. You may be able to do this without crown molding, or the mid level molding that I have, by trying a nail at the top of your wall near the ceiling...there should be a wood plate of about 1 1/2 depth going across the top of the stud wall behind your sheetrock (if there is one...)

At work we have some wood walls, made with redwood tongue and grove 3/4" thick and we change up to twenty five paintings once a month by pulling out the nails, and painting over the hole, slamming in some more nails. Key thing here is to have the work level and at the desired height for comfortable viewing for everybody coming in, and placement relative to each other painting. That is a matter of pro opinion. Some like them to hang with a horizontal center line through them; we would rather have either tops or bottoms of the main big ones match and position the smaller paintings at some
proportion in between. Sometimes we do picture groups, if the works are small. Anyway, all of this with nails and our handy level. Two nails for a wide picture. Another little intricacy is that the back wire may be in different places, so to do each picture level with the other, if you wish, then you need to figure out where the nail needs to be to hold that wire taut....

Ok, then we have some sheetrock walls with wood studs. By now we pretty much know where the studs are, but if we are hanging something seriously heavy we pull out the studfinder; they are good items. The slightly more expensive ones will tell you if there is an electrical wire back there....

If the painting for these sheetrock walls is a big and sort of heavy one, we try to have at least one of the nails go into a stud. It's lovely if it can be two studs. If the paintings are light, this is of no matter. Put the nails in at an angle, as morganwood said, and make sure the wire sits down at the "crotch" the angle makes. You can use the hook and nail gismos you buy at the hardware store, that gives you a ready made placement for the wire. We don't bother with those. You will find the nail goes into air. That's ok if the nail is reasonably sturdy and at the angle mentioned.

Finally we use this gummy stuff you find in art stores now to hold the bottom edges in place...just like two wads of gum. This material comes with different names, forget what they are. Watch out for it. You'll find yourself walking around rolling gumballs, very soothing. You may not have to do this if your building never moves, but in California's wood buildings we get a lot of shifting.

On where to put the pictures...yes, ask those architects to dinner....but make up your own mind afterwards...

And one last idea...a picture shelf. I see that done once in a while. You install a shelf at some level you like with a bit of molding running across it to hold the pictures you slant against the wall. You see this in some modern style design mag photos.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 04:02 pm
Thanks Osso - I may be able to use the nails, mainly, because much of what I am putting up is not pictures, but masks and fabric and little stone mouldings and suchlike. One mask is seriously heavy, though - I will need a serious gyprock hanger for that - and I MAY put up one heavy picture.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 03:53 am
Hey! All you hanging stuff helpers!

I have hung heaps of stuff - without the nasty special plasterboard hangers too.

Mind you, my beautiful mirror bent the hook on the 14 kilogram hanger - and it weighs nothing like that - and crashed down, wounding itself, but not too seriously.

Almost all my masks are up, and my little stone mouldings, and one of my pictures - (which doesn't look right where it is - sigh) - but, if I wish to change things around, a little dab of paint fixes things!!!!!

More stuff will go up in the next few days....... love it.

Thanks to all of you!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 03:55 am
Mind you, I await more horriffic crashes - I have put breakable things below all the heavy objects again, after waiting for a while....shiver, tremble....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:17 pm
I KNEW you could do it, Deb!
Well done! Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 06:04 am
now you will learn about the physical concept of CREEP, wherein all objects attain a degree of plastic deformation when subjected to time and gravity.
Nother words, hangin stuff slowly droops till it drops.

Your job is to prevent this from happening
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 06:15 am
Er, how?

I am powerless to prevent my own drooping...
0 Replies