I finally did it! I bought it!

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:38 pm
I had completely forgotten that Chai's husband's name was Wally.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:48 pm
It's ok, Gus. Btw, Gus is your name.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 03:54 pm
<scribbles name on paper>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:14 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Chai Tea,

I'm really proud of you! It looks like you're starting off the New Year right! By next New Year's Eve, you're going to be one hot babe.

I just hope Wally Tea can handle it!

Btw, speaking of hot, who's the handsome guy in Shewolf's avatar? HOTCHA! HOTCHA!

Thanks!

Honestly, it didn't have anything to do with the New Year, it was just the right time.

heh...I didn't want to put my real name on the concept2 website, so my screen name there is "Holly Rue"

Holly was just the first name I thought of and the Rue came from Coco LaRue. When we were teens and played computer or board games that asked for a name, that was the name I used. My friends were something like Bink Buffingham and Muffy Hathaway.

I was the rebel.
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:30 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Chai, can you post naked photos of yourself on a daily basis so that we, as a community, can monitor your progress and see just what sort miracle machine this truly is?

This will strictly be for research and, who knows, maybe you could get some commission from the company if one of us decides to buy one.

<gustav>

No photos for you, Gus! Chai is my territory.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 06:37 pm
So far I've rowed over 74 kilometers, or 46 miles.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:54 pm
Do you have buns of steel yet?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 10:07 pm
Does it really work all those different body parts? I always loved rowing, but I didn't think it did all those different things-- if you find it's working for you, I might have to start saving up...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:46 am
cyphercat wrote:
Does it really work all those different body parts? I always loved rowing, but I didn't think it did all those different things-- if you find it's working for you, I might have to start saving up...

Yes, it works everything.

Even though it had been probably a year since I sat at a rower, your muscles have a memory, so fortunatly my muscles memory kicked back in rather quickly.

By making slight adjustments in your grib, whether your lean back a little or sit straight, arm angle, or just concentrating on using certain areas more, you get everything.

Some muscles you feel/see an immedicate result in, like your deltoids. Right now, if i put my arm out straight, palm down, and rotate my arm inwards, there's an attractive long line of deltoid muscle running from shoulder toward the elbow. I could see feel a difference in them within the week.

The other day, I was on my hands and knees, looking under the couch for something, and I reached up and pressed in on my lower stomach with my hand. Right above the pubic bone, there was this small band of muscle that hadn't been there before.

The first day I rowed, I only went 20 minutes and the next day my quads and gluts were feeling it, that really good pain, you know?

Within a week, I was up to 40 minutes, and legs feel fine.

Of course it's great for the back and lats and those muscles along the tops of your shoulders (traps?), but by bringing in the angle of your arms, you can work your pecs too.

It's fabulous for stretch. On the stroke recovery, you lean forward, and the cords naturally pulls you out, and you of course help it along. Within the last week, I'm finding an effect on my posture. It's like you have this all over substrcture of strength that hold your hips and spine more efficiently. I guess that's it in a nutshell, it seems to make your body adjust itself to a more proper balance.

What I like most is that it's your body working against your body. Like, when your lifting weights, and you have a machine set at 50 pounds, each rep is, well, 50 pounds. On the rower, you can warm up, then challenge yourself with 10 or 15 strokes (doesn't sound like much, but believe me, it is if you're going all out), then recover for a few minutes with lighter pulls, and do it again.

I record shows to watch while rowing, but honestly, 20% of my attention is on the TV, 80% on my technique. For those who would say they would find rowing boring, I'd say it's not if your thinking about what you are doing. If you just mindlessly pull, I guess it'd be boring, but not when you're thinking about posture, the muscles, your breathing, etc.

Needless to say, it's great aerobically.

Lastly, it's so much better having your own rower that you can keep clean, and isn't sitting in a gym with it getting all dirty and misused. I cover it with a sheet between workout, so dust doesn't get in the turbines, or on the chain (you clean/oil them maybe once a year).
Last night, when I started rowing, I noticed a slight catch on the slide, the bar the seat glides on. I got off and examined the slide bar itself, it was clean. Then, held a towel to the rollers under the seat and pulled it back and forth, getting off a surpising amount of dust/lint. That took car of the problem, smooth as silk. If that had been in the gym, it just would have gotten dirtier and dirtier, making the ride bumpy. It's just taking care of your investment.

Since you already know you like rowing Cypher, yes, I'd really encourage you to save up for one.

We could start an A2K rowing club!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:32 pm
That sounds so good. Thanks for all the info. I'm really thinking I want to do this, it's just a matter of how long it'll be before I can afford it-- but come to think of it, my mom keeps telling me she wants to help me buy some kind of workout equipment, so maybe I'll tell her we need to start socking away money for this!

One more thing, does it take up very much space?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:36 pm
Well, it doesn't work everything (abdominals come to mine), but it's pretty good

Good point, cyphercat. Some rowers are bigger than others. I have the Kettler Favorit, which is pretty good for the price. Unlike some, it doesn't discourage you from using it. About 26" wide, and 56" long, or thereabouts. I built a ramp for mine so you can row uphill. Well, it's really so you can put more load on the legs and less on the elbows, which are something of an issue with me.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:59 pm
Do either of you have a recommendation for where to find product reviews of different brands? I was just looking at some different models and price ranges, etc, and some looked good, but there's such a range of prices...you wonder what's wrong with the cheap ones... Confused
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:25 pm
Chai Tea - good for you.

Concept II is the most widely used model and has hardly changed in 15 years, it's that good.

I used to row competitively at school (between 13-17) and trained a lot on these machines (or maybe it was Concept I in those days!). They really work your muscles and are amazing aerobically.

I just can't stand them personally after all those years of training. I'm almost disappointed in my own attitude given your joy in the new toy, though.

Have fun.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:25 pm
Chai Tea - good for you.

Concept II is the most widely used model and has hardly changed in 15 years, it's that good.

I used to row competitively at school (between 13-17) and trained a lot on these machines (or maybe it was Concept I in those days!). They really work your muscles and are amazing aerobically.

I just can't stand them personally after all those years of training. I'm almost disappointed in my own attitude given your joy in the new toy, though.

Have fun.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:27 pm
When I got my Kettler, it was from a web site dedicated to rowers, and they did have reviews. I'll see if I can track it down tonight, if you're interested. Anyway, the one I got was rated way better than much more expensive rowers that also used resistance cylinders. It was also rated the best buy of all the lines they carry. The wind and fluid rowers tend to be much better, and much, much more expensive. They also weigh more and take up more floor space.

Anyway, the discussion has prompted me to dust it off, and get to using it when the weather is too wet (it's never been too hot or too cold) for cyclying.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:35 pm
kitchenpete wrote:
Chai Tea - good for you.

Have fun.

Thanks KP.

I can totally understand your not liking it. You probably preferred being outdoors on the water, right?

I'm not much of a water person, and for me personally, I like the fact I can be alone and get into the zen zone.

Yeah, it basically hasn't changed much over the years, no need to, and like you said, that's a good thing.

cypher - I've used the Concept2's in the gym so long, I'm most used to them. I've been on other models at various times, and just personally did not like them as well.

I'm wondering if you could go to a gym somewhere and bat your pretty eyes at them, and convince them to let you use theirs for a few minutes?

Seriously, check out the Concept2's website. It's very informative.
I sure they have a return policy.
oh, space? not much, the slide is 7ft long, and you need enough room for your elbows. Usually you keep your elbows in, but sometimes I put them out to rest particular muscles and work others.

oh oh oh! Check out Craigs List for used ones!!!

Well, actually I'm going to row now. bye.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 05:49 pm
Roger, I'd be very interested in that site if you can find it without too much difficulty.

Chai, Craigslist is a great idea! I'm gonna check that out.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:54 pm
I'm past 135 miles!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:03 pm
Isn't it about time you got sick of that thing and started loafing around and hitting the Ho-Hos again like a normal person?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:08 pm
kickycan wrote:
Isn't it about time you got sick of that thing and started loafing around and hitting the Ho-Hos again like a normal person?

Or at least get onto the next craze.

Did you post this cause I said you had a great big fat arse?

I'm sorry That I diverted everyone's attention to your BIG FAT ARSE. That was mean of me.
0 Replies