WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO EDUCATION Since 1895 ?

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 10:48 pm
Silent Letters

Q. Why is the letter -L- silent in words such as salmon and solder?

In those two cases, the English spelling originally did not have an -l-, so there was no such letter to pronounce. The fish was spelled samoun, and the fusible alloy was spelled soudur. In the 18th century, our friends the hypercorrectionists decided that these and other words should show their Latin origins. Salmo was Latin for the fish, and solidus was Latin for the joining agent, so doesn't it make perfect sense to graft an -l- into the English words? Not really. The spelling was forcibly changed, but the original pronunciation lived on.

The silent L is often followed by one of 4 letters: D as in could, should, would, and solder; F as in behalf, calf and half; K as in balk, caulk, chalk, stalk, talk, and walk; and M as in balm, calm, embalm, napalm, palm, psalm, qualm, and salmon.

The 18th century meddlers threw in other letters as well as they gave a nod to classical origins. A vivid example is the word dette. It was efficiently phonetic, but they decided that since it came from the Latin debitum, it should have a "b" to acknowledge the origin: debt. Doute was not allowed to stand since in Latin it was dubitum; so it became doubt. And the word subtle reflected the fact that in Latin it was subtilis, so the English sutill had to go.

http://verbmall.blogspot.com/2006/05/silent-letters.html

--------

Death to the silent L!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 12:30 am
Setanta - I'm not advocating phonetic spelling- mostly because I think there could be no standard. Everyone, depending on where you live in the country, pronounces words differently. If we all spelled as we spoke, or pronounced words, it'd be very, very confusing. I was just telling you what a teacher I work with thinks is viable, especially for students who are just beginning to read or write- as a starting point.

My only purpose was to point out the fact that I think David's reason for doing this is not that he can't spell conventionally - I think he can. I didn't comment on whether I thought his reasoning was ill-considered or not. As far as I'm concerned, his reasons are his reasons- and who am I to judge- as long as he's not teaching my child? I'd give you or anyone else on the forum the same consideration.

2packs - here in England, they do pronounce the l in salmon. They actually say SAL-MON. They also say FIL-LET (pronouncing the t on the end of fillet). So when I moved here and asked for a "samon fillay" the man at the fish counter (though we both spoke English as our native language) had no idea what I meant. I had to point to what I wanted.

I don't know about the word solder. I've only heard it pronounced a few times. I know they say it differently than I do - I say SOD-DER with a short o - and silent l as you said. I think they might say SOL-DER- pronouncing the o long, as well as the L. This might be because sodder (as I pronounce it) is a slang term for them- and something entirely different than solder as we think of it.

I was more interested in what difference the concentration on rote memory in the classroom in the earlier part of the century may have made for students who were educated at that time, compared to those who were educated in the latter part of the century when that methodology began falling out of favor.
I think there is a negative link or correlation- in that memorization as a skill is helpful in many subject areas - and neglecting to practice or develop or encourage it as an educational methodology has been a disservice to students.

But again, I think there are many reasons that it is no longer encouraged, many of which have nothing to do with the wishes of the educators.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:49 am
aidan wrote:

2packs - here in England, they do pronounce the l in salmon. They actually say SAL-MON.
Sorry Aiden, but I don't think that I've ever heard a fellow Englishman pronounce the "L".
Sammon all the way! (you're correct with the "T" on fillet, though - pronounced fillit, the e being pronounced i, for some strange reason.)

They also say FIL-LET (pronouncing the t on the end of fillet). So when I moved here and asked for a "samon fillay" the man at the fish counter (though we both spoke English as our native language) had no idea what I meant. I had to point to what I wanted.

I don't know about the word solder.

Solder has a long "O", and we pronounce the "D". Sold - er.
I've only heard it pronounced a few times. I know they say it differently than I do - I say SOD-DER with a short o - and silent l as you said. I think they might say SOL-DER- pronouncing the o long, as well as the L. This might be because sodder (as I pronounce it) is a slang term for them- and something entirely different than solder as we think of it.
Sod is a slang word for us, used as either an insult or indeed, a strange term of affection among friends, as is bugger.
"You romantic sod! You romantic bugger!"
It is also used to indicate that something is proving to be difficult.
"That wheelnut was a sod to undo!"

Can't say I've ever heard the term "sodder", though.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:00 am
LE- My friends here in Somerset definitely pronounce the l in salmon. Because I've asked them about it when I've heard it. The UK, like America, and maybe even moreso than America, has so many different regional accents that it's hard to find a standard of pronunciation across the entire country.
* And actually, now that I think about it, I have relatives in America who pronounce salmon with the l, although I haven't heard it in a while, as those close to me usually pronounce it without it. I don't know which is right or wrong, I just know what I prefer to say myself.

*I just extrapolated that since there were sods, maybe there were sodders. But I get expressions wrong all the time. I had a student the other day ask me, "are you taking the piss out of me?" and when I was relating the story to my daughter I said, he said, "are you taking the piss on me"? She just started laughing and said, "Mom, it's taking the piss out of someone, not on someone."

So definitely don't go by me as the authority on these things...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:01 am
2PacksAday wrote:
Silent Letters

Q. Why is the letter -L- silent in words such as salmon and solder?

In those two cases, the English spelling originally did not have an -l-, so there was no such letter to pronounce. The fish was spelled samoun, and the fusible alloy was spelled soudur. In the 18th century, our friends the hypercorrectionists decided that these and other words should show their Latin origins. Salmo was Latin for the fish, and solidus was Latin for the joining agent, so doesn't it make perfect sense to graft an -l- into the English words? Not really. The spelling was forcibly changed, but the original pronunciation lived on.

The silent L is often followed by one of 4 letters:
D as in could, should, would, and solder; F as in behalf, calf and half;
K as in balk, caulk, chalk, stalk, talk, and walk;
and M as in balm, calm, embalm, napalm, palm, psalm, qualm, and salmon.

The 18th century meddlers threw in other letters as well as they gave a nod to classical origins. A vivid example is the word dette. It was efficiently phonetic, but they decided that since it came from the Latin debitum, it should have a "b" to acknowledge the origin: debt.
Doute was not allowed to stand since in Latin it was dubitum; so it became doubt. And the word subtle reflected the fact that in Latin it was subtilis, so the English sutill had to go.

http://verbmall.blogspot.com/2006/05/silent-letters.html

--------

Death to the silent L!

Thank u for an interesting, informative
and valuable etymological contribution, 2 Packs.

I have always made a practice
of pronouncing the Ls in the red hi lit words above.

I did not know of the reason for the silent Ls
until u enlightened us.
For several decades I have refused to respect
and refused to impliment the rule of grammar
of not splitting infinitives ( and I encouraged others to split them )
because in Latin thay were one word.
THAT IS NOT A REASON; there is no logic in doing that.
I will be concerned about the rules of Latin,
WHEN I WRITE LATIN, not during my use of English.

The rule against splitting infinitives
does NOT deserve our respect, nor our compliance;
hence, I will say: " to boldly go where no man has gone before. "
In furtherance of my disdain of THE ABSENCE OF LOGIC
that was perpetrated by the " Correctionists. "
I will continue to omit Ls from wud, cud or shud,
and if Setanta or his ilk does not like it,
so much the better !

The offerings of the " Correctionists "
shud have been rejected with disdain,
by their contemporaries,
in the service of sound reasoning.

We can do it NOW; better late than never.

Whoever wishes to research the history of any word,
Latin or otherwise,
is free to check an etymology book.
David
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:02 am
Ah! Zummerzet....that explains it, Aiden!

Whar them zoider apples grow.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:19 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Define " zoider " ??
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:24 am
cider
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:29 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Define " zoider " ??

Now THAT is a classic example of the futility of phonetic spelling.

The word zoider is spelt EXACTLY how a person raised in the County of Somerset (UK) would pronounce it, yet you didn't have a clue what it meant.
Zoider is therefore phonetic, according to the man from Somerset.

If it was spelt in the standard way, both you AND the man from Somerset would immediately understand it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:25 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Define " zoider " ??

Now THAT is a classic example of the futility of phonetic spelling.

The word zoider is spelt EXACTLY how a person raised in the County of Somerset (UK) would pronounce it, yet you didn't have a clue what it meant.
Zoider is therefore phonetic, according to the man from Somerset.

If it was spelt in the standard way, both you AND the man from Somerset would immediately understand it.

I have never been closer to that county
than the Heathrow Airport, between planes.
Hence, I have no idea of how people speak there.

It is NOT my position
that there shud be no standard
and that everyone shud simply apply
a fully libertarian, subjective standard
in deciding how to spell.
The Spanish don 't do it that way.
Thay have standardized spelling;
its just conformed to how words r actually pronounced NOW,
not in Chaucerian times.

In my opinion,
competent linguists shud write a new fully fonetic
dictionary; we can live with that for a while,
then offer suggestions for refinement,
tweaking n polishing. It is the Manifest Destiny
of American English to dominate the World,
because of our domination of world communications.
Let 's get the job done RIGHT.

I am ONLY endeavoring to point out the problem
of non-fonetic spelling, so that the problem
will not be perpetuated, as its anti-efficiency
does not deserve to be perpetuated.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:28 am
aidan wrote:
cider

Thank u, Rebecca
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:36 am
aidan wrote:
LE- My friends here in Somerset definitely pronounce the l in salmon. Because I've asked them about it when I've heard it. The UK, like America, and maybe even moreso than America, has so many different regional accents that it's hard to find a standard of pronunciation across the entire country.
* And actually, now that I think about it, I have relatives in America who pronounce salmon with the l, although I haven't heard it in a while, as those close to me usually pronounce it without it. I don't know which is right or wrong, I just know what I prefer to say myself.

*I just extrapolated that since there were sods, maybe there were sodders. But I get expressions wrong all the time. I had a student the other day ask me, "are you taking the piss out of me?"

I wonder what that question MEANS ?
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:45 am
aidan wrote:
Quote:
Setanta - I'm not advocating phonetic spelling- mostly because I think there could be no standard. Everyone, depending on where you live in the country, pronounces words differently. If we all spelled as we spoke, or pronounced words, it'd be very, very confusing.

Because of American domination
of global communications,
I believe that American English
will dominate the World.
We need a standard fonetic dictionary,
for universal use.

Quote:

My only purpose was to point out the fact that I think David's reason
for doing this is not that he can't spell conventionally - I think he can.

I did it for most of the 20th Century,
until I realized the error
of my complicity

in spelling the way that everyone else does,
thereby failing to tear down
the non-fonetic elements of the English paradime of spelling.

David
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 04:20 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:

It is the Manifest Destiny
of American English to dominate the World,
because of our domination of world communications.
Let 's get the job done RIGHT.

David

....unfortunately, this will most probably prove to be true.
In twenty or so years, the majority of the English speaking world will more than likely be reduced to communicating by means of various unintelligible grunts, whistles and profanities, all bellowed at a very high volume, whilst strolling around in a public place with phones hooked over their ears.....and as for their standard of writing, well, god help them.

Happy days....
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 04:23 am
Quote:
"are you taking the piss out of me?"

David

He was asking me if I was trying to give him a hard time by making a joke at his expense.
So though my interpretation of "taking a piss on him" might have fit in one sense - the term "taking the piss out of", I now interpret to mean the deflation of someone's ego. *But ask LE just to make sure that's correct.

*I wasn't - I was being sincere, but we were obviously on a subject (though I wasn't aware of it) that he felt defensive about.

In terms of this phonetic stuff though, after LE's contribution, I thought about a lot of differences in British and American English pronunciations.
Especially in words of French origin, Americans tend to pronounce them with the french pronunciation (fillet, garage, massage, etc.), with the emphasis on the second syllable, while Brits place the emphasis on the first syllable and shorten the initial A(in words such as massage), to a greater extent.
I was wondering if part of this is due to the antipathy the British feel toward the French, thus their reluctance to adopt French pronunciation? Any ideas? If so, this would make any standard phonetic spelling difficult to arrive at on an international basis.

Also, the British tend to enunciate their consonants much more clearly. The other day someone said the name Martin- with a very strong t sound in the middle - and as I repeated it with my own pronunciation - typically American- Mar 'in, and I realized I had almost completely removed the t sound from the name. I'd never even thought about it before.
That's why I think this phonetic spelling would just be too complicated to adopt on any large scale in the long run, David.

But what about rote memorization as an educational tool? Does anyone think the shift to critical thinking has been an unqualified success?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:11 am
Cram rote into them at a young age, is what I say. They may not fully understand what it all means at that time, but they'll remember it all, sure enough, when they have cause to use it.
I include the multiplication of numbers in that line of thinking as well.

Yes, "taking the piss" out of someone is basically ridiculing them, or deflating their ego. In some areas of the UK, the term "taking the rise" is also used, in other areas it's "taking the mickey", but it all boils down to the same thing.

Aiden, I think the Brits are as bad as the Americans for leaving letters out of words. If you listen to some Londoners, they will use a glottal stop on the letter "t", more often than not. Bottle = bo'-'le. The t changes into an almost silent pause, and release of breath. It's hard to explain exactly how it sounds, really.

As far as "garage" is concerned, we have two main ways of pronouncing this word. One way is "garridge", the other being "gararje" (soft j).
The second way is seen as being the proper and "posh" pronunciation, but I would say that our population is split pretty much 50 -50 between the two on that word.

Again, some say ennvelope, some say onvelope.

I don't think it has anything to do with our supposed antipathy towards the French, although I can't dismiss the notion that these words were anglicised because of that reason, when they first came into common usage (just a short while before I was born).

Just as a matter of interest, I'll come back to this after looking up some sites in the UK that feature regional accents/dialects.
You'll be surprised at the variety we have here, and if you think about it, the many and varied accents you have over there in the USA as well.

Back soon.........
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:32 am
aidan wrote:
Quote:
"are you taking the piss out of me?"

David

Quote:
He was asking me if I was trying to give him a hard time by making a joke at his expense.
So though my interpretation of "taking a piss on him" might have fit in one sense - the term "taking the piss out of", I now interpret to mean the deflation of someone's ego. *But ask LE just to make sure that's correct.

*I wasn't - I was being sincere, but we were obviously on a subject (though I wasn't aware of it) that he felt defensive about.

I can 't help but wonder
as to the conceptual origin
of that frase.

Was he accusing u of afflicting him
with so hi a degree of emotional stress
as to cause him to wet his pants ?

Quote:

In terms of this phonetic stuff though, after LE's contribution, I thought about a lot of differences in British and American English pronunciations.
Especially in words of French origin, Americans tend to pronounce them with the french pronunciation (fillet, garage, massage, etc.), with the
emphasis on the second syllable, while Brits place the emphasis on the
first syllable and shorten the initial A(in words such as massage), to a greater extent.

I was wondering if part of this is due to the antipathy the British feel toward the French, thus their reluctance to adopt French pronunciation? Any ideas?
If so, this would make any standard phonetic spelling difficult to arrive at
on an international basis.

Que sera, sera

It is held in some quarters
that it is the destiny of the World
to speak like Tom Brokaw.

I can live with that.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:47 am
Here's an interesting one to start with, David.

If a "Geordie" (someone who was born in Newcastle, in the North East of England) was to write phonetically, what would you make of this sentence?

Aa warnd ye think yorsel clivvor? (clear as day, phonetically, to a Geordie)

You can find out here......

http://www.geordie.co.uk/dictionary/a.htm

http://www.geordie.co.uk/

...and here's a bit of Yorkshire for you....now, if THEY decided to use their local slang and dialect, then write it all out phonetically, it would look like this....
http://snaphappy.com/life/?q=node/5#comment-578

And this is EXACTLY how a Glaswegian (someone from Glasgow, Scotland) speaks. Imagine this being written down phonetically, it would be like some form of secret code!

A short clip from a very popular comedy show from the 80's......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1d30q5gX7Y&mode=related&search=
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:49 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Cram rote into them at a young age, is what I say. They may not fully understand what it all means at that time, but they'll remember it all, sure enough, when they have cause to use it.

Quote:
Yes, "taking the piss" out of someone is basically ridiculing them,
or deflating their ego.
In some areas of the UK, the term "taking the rise"

How does that work,
conceptually ?
To WHAT rise is there reference ?

Quote:

is also used, in other areas it's "taking the mickey",

What is a mickey ?

Quote:
but it all boils down to the same thing.

Aiden, I think the Brits are as bad as the Americans for leaving letters out of words.
If you listen to some Londoners, they will use a glottal stop on the letter "t",
more often than not. Bottle = bo'-'le. The t changes into an almost silent pause,
and release of breath. It's hard to explain exactly how it sounds, really.

Is that the Cockney accent ?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:24 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Quote:
Yes, "taking the piss" out of someone is basically ridiculing them,
or deflating their ego..[/color]
In some areas of the UK, the term "taking the rise"

How does that work,
conceptually ?.

I was once told that it was all to do with stopping someone in "mid flow", metaphorically speaking.

To WHAT rise is there reference ? [/b]
I assume that it is the same as the aforementioned deflation. You just stop them from rising, or getting all puffed up (I think).

Quote:

is also used, in other areas it's "taking the mickey",

What is a mickey ?
I really don't know, to be honest. I'll try to find out.

Quote:
but it all boils down to the same thing.

Aiden, I think the Brits are as bad as the Americans for leaving letters out of words.
If you listen to some Londoners, they will use a glottal stop on the letter "t",
more often than not. Bottle = bo'-'le. The t changes into an almost silent pause,
and release of breath. It's hard to explain exactly how it sounds, really.

Is that the Cockney accent ?

Not just strictly Cockney, but certainly it's a thing that happens in London and the south East of England, maybe elsewhere as well.
0 Replies