WARNING: Do NOT install latest McAfee Update

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:53 pm
Do NOT install latest McAfee Update falsely labeled as McAfee Security Center. It is nothing but an advertisement for McAfee products you haven't yet installed and can not be removed from your computer. Please pass along the warning to your associates.

See copy of my email below to Network Associates. McAfee has a Security Center Feedback thread going on their message boards at http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=64242#64242 if you'd like to add your comments.
Quote:

Subj: Can't Remove McAfee Security Center? -Forced to No Longer Be Your Customer
Date: 6/20/2003 7:23:38 PM Pacific Standard Time
To: [email protected]

Just posted this on your message board forums and wish to share it with your customer support and product marketing management.

I also plan to post on all the message boards and newsgroups I participate in with a copy of this conversation and a warning to not download and install the Security Center.

It is my hope that McAfee will come to their senses and fix this very poor business practice.

I am giving them 10 days to do so before reformatting my hard drive to remove all their products since I can't do so using the Windows add/remove utility.

I am a VERY UNHAPPY long-time customer.

Quote:
Establishing Connection
Please wait while we find a technician to assist you...
You have been connected to Geoffery Smith.

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, thank you for contacting the McAfee Online Support Center. How can I assist you today?

Lynn : Hi Geoff, I've written a long communication. If it will let me, I'll cut and paste it to you now if that is ok.

Geoffery Smith: Yes, please teell me your exact problem.

Lynn : I have two problems with McAfee products I'd like fixed.

Lynn :I'm rather angry but will attempt to not take it out on you since I know it is not your fault. I am at the point that if no solution is found to eliminate these intrusive nusances, I plan to reformat my hard drive to remove all McAfee programs and replace them with alternative solutions from another vendor.

Lynn : First Problem: Ever since I installed the demo version of Quick Clean that came with my 7.0 Anti-Virus Home Edition disk and declined purchase after the demo expired, I get a twice daily alert to a program update that does nothing but tell me I need to update my Quick Clean because the demo has expired.

Lynn : Second Problem: I made the mistake of responding to yet another update alert and allowed McAfee to install this Security Center advertisement. It won't let me remove the program using XP's control panel to add/remove programs. The remnant finder just hangs and does nothing. I have disabled the Security Center for now, but I want to remove it from my computer.

Lynn : Please tell me how to eliminate the nusance reminders to purchase Quick Clean and how to remove this new Security Center advertisement from my computer.

Lynn : :::taking a breath now::: Wink

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, if I understand correctly, you have issue regarding getting Security Center advertisement. Is this correct?

Lynn : that's one of the issues. I want the Quick Clean demo update reminders to stop and I also want to remove the new McAfee Security Center program that was just moments ago installed by McAfee.

Geoffery Smith: Have you previously contacted McAfee support regarding this issue?

Lynn : Nooo, the update was just installed less then 10 minutes ago.

Geoffery Smith: Please double click on My Computer, then double click on the Control Panel, then double click on Add/Remove Programs and tell me what McAfee programs do you see listed there.

Lynn : McAfee Quick Clean, McAfee Firewall, McAfee Security Center, McAfee Home Edition Virus Scan

Lynn : Yes, I've already tried using the add/remove program utility to remove McAfee Security Center. A window pops up that says it is searching for program remnants and just hangs. It worked fine on other programs I've removed prior to downloading the Security Center.

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, please tell me the version of VirusScan in your computer.

Lynn : v 7.02.6000

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, you will not be able to uninstall Security center because it is a part of all McAfee products as it shows which all McAfee products are installed in your computer and from Security center you can update VirusScan.

Lynn : Isn't that what Guardian already does? So the only way to eliminate that advertisement from my computer is to remove all McAfee products from it? Seems like a poor business decision by your company.

Lynn : If there is not a way to remove it, I am sorry to say you have lost me as a long time customer and advocate of McAfee products. I've been using them for
more then 12 years.

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, this Security Center is for your benifits.

Lynn : I disagree and would like the option of being able to remove it rather then it having to be an all or nothing feature I have no choice over. It leaves me with the only choice of not using McAfee products at all.

Lynn : Like I said, a bad business decision.

Lynn : I feel so strongly about this that I am willing to reformat my hard drive and go through the reinstallation of all my programs and data to remove McAfee products from my computer. I am hoping that McAfee will provide an alternative solution other then losing me as a customer.

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, please tell me what exact problem you are facing with Security Center?

Lynn : It is nothing but an advertisement for other McAfee programs I have yet to install on my computer.

Lynn : It is intrusive in that it scans my computer each time it is booted to tell me again that I haven't yet purchased and installed a couple of McAfee products.

Lynn : I have the same problem with the Quick Clean demo update reminder and have been living with that for a year now. This Security Center doing the same but more intrusive thing is the last straw. It has become an unacceptable and intrusive nusance.

Lynn : I would like the choice of removing the Security Center and continuing to use Guardian for the updates of the programs I ***have*** installed. I don't need the constant reminder and advertisement for products I haven't purchased.

Geoffery Smith: Based on the information you have provided, I can now provide the steps that should resolve your issue. If at any time there is something you do not understand, will you please stop me and let me know?

Lynn : Yes

Geoffery Smith: What version of Windows are you using? (95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP)

Lynn : XP Professional

Geoffery Smith: Please click on start--->run--->type msconfig----->hit enter---->click on startup tab---->uncheck McAgent and McUpdate.

Lynn : There is no McAgent, but there is a CMGuardian. I have disabled the McUpdate

Lynn : Will this still allow me to get notifications of updated virus dat files or does it disable that?

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, if you had uncheck McUpdate then you will not get notifications.

Lynn : So, I'm back at the beginning. I am forced to accept the daily intrusion of advertisement for products I have not yet purchased in order to receive update notification for products I have purchased?

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, do you have any McAfee or file starting with Mc listed under Startup tab?

Lynn : These are all the McAfee related items under the start up tab: Plguni,CMGrdian, McUpdate,VsStat,RuLaunch

Lynn : I determined those by looking at the path for the command. Those are the only ones relating to a McAfee path or program.

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, now you will not get advertisement pop up from McAfee as you had unchecked McUpdate.

Lynn : I understand that, but I also understand from what you have said that this also means I will no longer receive notification of virus dat file updates. Is there no alternative that allows for both disabling the pop up and also receiving dat file updates?

Geoffery Smith: No.

Lynn : I understand that as the middle finger to your customer and feel I am left with no choice but to stop being your customer. Please pass along our conversation to your marketing people. I am quite sure I will not be the only person feeling this way. It is a very bad business decision. It is too bad McAfee doesn't recognize that.

Geoffery Smith: Do you have any additional questions or concerns I may assist you with today?

Lynn : Yes, can you give me some email addresses of the people in charge of your product marketing and customer support? I'd like to copy our conversation to them.

Geoffery Smith: This issue or concern is supported by our Customer Service group. You may call 1-972-963-8000, select the option that best meets your needs, and they will be able to assist you. You may also email us at [email protected]

Lynn : alright. Thanks Geoff.

Geoffery Smith: Lynn, are you satisfied with the support I have offered you today?

Lynn : Satisfied with your conduct, not satisfied with the result. But that isn't your fault. It needs to be bumped up to management. It isn't something you can help with on the front lines, unfortunately. I really would appreciate it if you'd bump it up from your end too.

Geoffery Smith: Your reference number for this chat session is 1393030.

Lynn : Thanks

Geoffery Smith: Thank you for visiting McAfee Online Support Center. You may receive a survey asking for your comments on this chat experience. Your feedback will help ensure that I'm providing the highest quality service possible.

Lynn : Thanks for trying, Geoff. Appreciate your effort.

Geoffery Smith: You are always welcome.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,059 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:50 pm
Also, if you do decide to download and install the latest update called McAfee Security Center, do not fall prey to the false security analysis it performs. It does not accurately reflect the state of security on your computer. All it does is do an inventory for McAfee products and if you are missing one, it proclaims you have a catastrophic exposure and vulnerability to the security of your computer.

The false analysis reports are causing undue panic amongst novice computer users when, in many cases, they are merely using another vendor's product for their protection.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:08 pm
oops, wrong topic....ignore this post
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:10 pm
I was about to split it to a new thread and answer it.

There is an easy solution. I'll wait for your thread.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 01:20 pm
McAfee
This won't help you, but I'm putting in my 2 cents worth, just to get it off my chest.

When I got my new (no longer) computer it came with McAfee AV, and a tediously repetitive reminder to register it. No matter what I did I couldn't succeed in registering, updating, subscribing, or contacting McAfee for help. Nor could I get rid of the constant nagging. Rolling Eyes

I'll take Norton any time.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 01:24 pm
I downloaded some Windows updates a couple of weeks back when there was a virus warning. Post download, whenever I opened a search engine other than Google, it switched automatically to Google in about 10 seconds, maybe less. With a window saying, sorry, click here to notify us of this problem! Which I did and about a week later it self corrected. Sheesh!

We're surrounded! They're everywhere!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 04:39 pm
Don't start me on McAffee. It came with my computer, and I could not remove it. When I wrote to McAfee, they sent me a four page letter detailing how to remove it. Seems it was intricately intertwined in the registry.

Ultimately, when I had to reformat my hard drive, I did it sans McAfee. What a pain!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:58 pm
The biggest joke of all with this new Security Center analysis is that some people do have the McAfee producst installed but have them disabled, such as the Personal Firewall. The Security Center in it's infinite wisdom churns through the product checklist and reports a 100% security protection in the firewall category even though the software is turned off! All it does is check to see if it is installed, it doesn't look to see if it is actually being used.

What a joke! As I wrote on the McAfee message forum, "Creating a utility that generates a false analysis and makes novice computer users panic over implied breeches of computer security because they don't happen to have a McAfee add-on product installed is NOT the answer and NOT the way to cultivate the trust customers of an anti-virus company are required to have."
0 Replies