Dark the walls with bahs of humbug: Take my husband 2

boomerang

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:03 pm
Tee hee. sozlette is such a girl!

I think I gained 10 pounds at the paint store this morning savoring all the color choices. Remember that scene is When Harry Met Sally in the cafe? That was me only I was at a table in a paint store all by myself. Freaked the paint sellers right out, the poor dears.

I totally see why the paint is called Devine! Wowie. Knock me over. The colors are so clean -- much better than they show up on computer. Plus, the salesman raved over the quality of the paint. "It is the very best paint we sell" said the pricey paint store guy.

I knew I would gravitate to the Espresso collection and I did. I came home with cards and samples of Green Tea (dining room, kitchen, hallway), Cocoa (trim), Hazelnut (cabinets) and Roast (living room).

Gentlemen start your brushes. I'm gonna be painting!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:27 pm
Oh yay!

I'll be listening carefully, as I really fell in love with the stuff too and may well go with it.

I'm thinking blue for the kitchen now. I don't KNOW! <whine>

Just checked out your color selections, that'll look really gorgeous! With your greenish wood floors too... wow.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
DULUX paint is avaible in the colony of canada , but haven't seen it listed as being available in the "former"colony .
i guess , we are priviledged .
hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:08 pm
oooohhhh, espresso and tea green! My colors!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 10:04 am
Well then. The next time you're in Portland you MUST come for tea!

I'm having second thoughts on the light wall dark trim thing. The window casings are white and I'm worried that everything will end up all choppy looking going light wall, dark trim, light casing.

I'm thinking the transition will be better if I go with either light trim or doing the same color only in a different finish.

Any ideas?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 04:19 pm
when your done. I corially invite you to come on down under

I hate painting. hate hate hate.! We have 14 ft ceilings with tounge and groove ceiling boards. Each groove needs to be cut in with a brush then roller over the rest of the board.

We have small windows so the colours need to be light.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 04:43 pm
Re: Dark the walls with bahs of humbug: Take my husband 2
boomerang wrote:
wall paint is my passion. I live to paint walls.

The better I know you, the more freaky you become.

Please don't ever meet my wife....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 07:43 pm
Okay.

So if some sulky tweenage Jesus threw a big a big tantrum wanting to paint his room God, because he's like all benevolent and stuff, would send Jesus to Miller to buy Devine paint.

This stuff is incredible. I will never chose another paint unless someone comes up with something better.

This morning everyone wanted to sleep in it seems. I got up all paint twitchy though so I taped off areas where I knew I would be sloppy, spackled and waited. Nobody got up. So I went to the garage and dug out my 1" and 3" Purdy and I waited. Nobody got up. I called Miller and ordered my selections (I'd been second guessing myself and knew I had to move).

FINALLY everyone woke up and I dashed out to pick up my fix.... er.... my paint.

This stuff is a dream. Honestly. It goes right where you put it and it stays there. Man. No other paint does that.

Usually I cut in, paint wall, double coat the cut in, double coat the wall and then triple coat the cut in. Not with this stuff baby.

It doesn't show brush strokes, it doesn't ridge, it doesn't spatter, it doesn't drip. I have never seen a paint like it.

The color is intense and crystal clear -- even going over dark walls. There doesn't seem to even be any bleed through of old color. Amazing.

The price is really a bargain when you consider the coverage you get from it.

It is the best paint ever. EVER.

Soz - if you decide you are going to paint you really, really have to try this stuff. It is so easy to use because it stays where it goes without any fuss.

I used to tell people who were thinking of painting to invest (yes, invest) in a series (at least a 1" angled and a 3" flat) of Purdy paint brushes and 3 rolls of painters tape (not masking tape or any other fake tape) to make their lives better while doing their project.

Now I will also tell them to go directly to Devine paint because in the long run you will save yourself a fortune in money and frustration.

Dadpad!! I would love to visit Australia and having the opportunity to paint someones house while I'm there!

Heaven.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 07:50 pm
Oooh!

That's all good news. I already adore the colors, if it has all of these other fabulous attributes I'm there.

I'm still dithering over which colors but am really psyched about doing this.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:13 pm
boomerang wrote:

Dadpad!! I would love to visit Australia and having the opportunity to paint someones house while I'm there!

Heaven.

Saving this to file for future use.

You and mumpad paint.

Me and Mr B go look at trees, logs, timber, plantations, logging coups, mills and chainsaws, and then...... on the second day..... we go fly fishing for trout in the mountains and you girls can do the second coat.

Good plan?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:16 pm
Sounds perfect to me.

I'm sure Mr. B would dig it to.

Hmmmmm Australia. What is the best month to be there?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 10:14 pm
There are 12 best months to select from boomer. In "our Neck of the woods Its Autumn. April.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 08:58 pm
April in Australia sounds devine. I must remember to be opposite!

Okay -- back to paint.

I am much less impressed with thier "trim" finish (I used "powder" finish on the walls).

I bought the paint on Saturday and today it was already separated and required a ton of stirring to get it back together. After all that it was still drippy and sloppy to work with.

Admittedly I was working on some difficult surfaces (heavily varnished, painted melamine (my built in with the cool hand made color that no longer worked), and metal (whatever my front door was made of). When I opened the can I could tell that I was dealing with a three coat paint and it is a three coat paint. On plain wood it did okay. The color saturation is supurb and it reflects light very nice but really I almost would have gone with a budget enamel is I'd know how difficult it would be to work with.

If it hardens to a monster tough finish it will have been worth it. Otherwise..... not.

I am really liking the colors though - they are very intense without being all "faux". My house is looking very clean and modern architecturally which I like mixed with my benign neglect furniture and accessories.

It is a big change from our very serene ex-paint job - understated but kind of a jolt. I'm about 50% of the way done. It is really starting to come together.

Now I'm thinking about making curtains....... but what kind of curtains?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 09:16 pm
Sounds promising boomer, thanks for the update.

Maybe it was the bird pooping on my head, but a stroke of luck this weekend. We went to our friend's house and they were refinishing a room in preparation for a baby that will be arriving in a couple of months. Most of it is done, they are at the painting stage. My friend (I guess FM, friend mom) is usually the paint maven but she's VERY pregnant plus was wary of fumes, so FD (friend dad) (they're expecting their second kid, already have one) was in charge. He was complaining like crazy and generally doing a terrible job. Laughing FM was extremely exasperated. So a bunch of us (one more family was over, too), got to work. I was doing other cleaning-type stuff actually, E.G. did the painting (with the other couple). He LOVED it. He marvelled at how easy it was and what a difference it made.

He's psyched.

I'm psyched.

We're painting, baby.

(The colors are still undecided, but getting there, getting there...)

Question, perhaps related to what you say about this other kind of finish -- how hard is it to do cabinets? We were getting advice yesterday that we should just get new cabinets, because we'd have to strip these and yadda yadda... can someone fill me in?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 07:19 am
I've painted my cabinets twice and I'm getting ready to do it again. I've never stripped the old paint off.

The first time I took them apart, lightly sanded, washed them with a degreaser (dish soap or anything like that made to handle greasy stuff), used primer and painted.

The second time I took them apart, washed them and painted.

Cabinets are a pain just because there is so much surface (not to mention the hassle of having a wrecked kitchen for the duration), and having to remove and replace so much hardware.

But paint will really stick to just about anything clean. Like the metal door and the varnished shelves I painted yesterday, it may take several coats (three) to get a nice, even color -- but I like the action of painting so that doesn't bother me.

Plus, primer fumes are miserable. I wouldn't do anything with primer in bad weather when you can't ventilate. In favor of primer though it can be tinted to your chosen color and it gives you a hard undercoat to paint on top of so scratches aren't as big a problem.

Best of all, paint is a whole lot cheaper than new cabinets!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 07:58 am
Been reading this post with great interest as we have a tricky painting job in our future: 12 foot ceilings (20 x 30) of embossed tin tiles which are currently institution green <<shudder>>. The paint doesn't drip and goes on in one coat?! Could I paint metal? (Or do I have to stick to Tremclad and their narrow colour choices? Anybody know?)

It sure sounds like you are having fun. I've heard of decorating for Christmas but really Boomer Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 08:41 am
The WALL paint didn't drip or spatter.

The TRIM paint (that I used on metal and varnished surfaces) dripped like mad - crazy making drips.

I don't have any idea of how the wall paint might work on metal.

I think I would be tempted to try some color of metal paint as a base coat then trying a regular paint over that. I've used Krylon paint for metal before but I don't think I've ever tried to paint over it.

Can you take the tiles down and experiment on the backside or are they firmly attached to the ceiling? Or, can you buy a panel at the hardware store to play around with?

Ceilings are such a pain to paint.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 08:47 am
I found this:

Quote:
You need to keep in mind that the metal panels are just that. They are primarily steel or in some cases tin plated steel. This means they can rust if exposed to water.

Each manufacturer provides you with detailed painting instructions should you choose a material that requires priming and a finish coat. Always paint both sides of the ceiling panels, trim, cornice, etc. Remember water can come from a roof leak, plumbing leak or an accident from above!

Pay close attention to instructions regarding mill oil removal from the steel. Some steel mills coat rolled steel with an ultra-fine layer of oil. If your panels have this oil, paint will not adhere readily. Don't forget that water based primers can NOT be used to paint bare metal. You can often coat the panels and trim with water based paints once an oil primer has dried

http://www.askthebuilder.com/B223_Decorative_Metal_Ceilings.shtml

I didn't prime my door so we'll see how the paint sticks. I did paint my other metal door with wall paint years ago and it has been fine.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 03:46 pm
Quote:
Remember water can come from a roof leak, plumbing leak or an accident from above!
Quote:

The accidents from above would include copious amounts of rodent urine in the attic which has somewhat rusted at least one tile and destroyed a decorative "trough".

The tiles are 90 years old and no way am I trying to take them down. They are also highly ornate (will post pictures if they turn out). There is a fellow with old fashioned tin-smithing equipment near Kitchener-Waterloo (Mennonite country) who might be able to duplicate them. (Found him on the internet.) No prices; I probably don't want to know.

Thanks for the website!
0 Replies