Jesus and the Stoners ?

snood

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 11:39 pm
Waitasecond. You are comparing yourself with Malcolm and MLK? In what way?

And, I'm not sure how to answer your question, "What changed?" because it seems to proceed from the assumption that a religious faith has to be stagnant and unchanging. I think a person's relationship with their God can evolve, at least as much as can any other relationship.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 02:08 pm
snood wrote:
Waitasecond. You are comparing yourself with Malcolm and MLK? In what way?

Lash wrote:
I wasn't comparing myself to anyone. I was attempting to understand what you mean by "agitating hostility." What you have deemed as me "agitating hostility" is my refusal to allow people to take the words of the originator of Christianity and screw them around or ignore them and use them for their own purposes. It's important tome to at least attempt to attract attention to what I consider a great wrong. As I read your characterization of what I'm doing, "agitating hostility," I remembered many people saying the same things about King and the civil rights movement. I was interested to know how you separate the two.

And, I'm not sure how to answer your question, "What changed?" because it seems to proceed from the assumption that a religious faith has to be stagnant and unchanging.
Lash wrote:
Snood. I posit that Malcolm hadn't had a faith in God to keep. He was full of hatred for his fellow man. He'd had faith in men--bad men at that. I believe he'd been seeking--but he found what fed his own desire--much like you said about your self, during your militant stage. He'd been wrong. You can't swing that wildly and have the same faith in the same thing. This is symbolic to me of many people who think they've found their answers to life in the form of structured religion, but they've just found a socially approved receptacle and outlet for their own hate. Rather harsh opinion, I concede--but I don't think those who crave capital punishment, for example, have a passing knowledge of Jesus of Nazareth.

Opinion.
0 Replies