Whiteness Studies

snood

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:10 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Cav hath spoken? Thanks snood, for the biblical props. I always wanted to be a God. Personally, I don't have enough information to judge whether or not these classes would be good for race relations or not. Why can't general high school history classes cover the questions regarding 'white privilege'? What exactly IS your opinion on this issue? Inquiring minds want to know....

Issue? What one is that? The class? I think it's a good idea.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:12 pm
Okay, that's all I wanted to know. My wife agrees, btw. It's just personally, I would probably have a laugh with it. That doesn't mean I don't think that others would benefit from it.
0 Replies

Sofia

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:13 pm
Here's something I'm sure will bring out the beast in some A2Kers.

Several Universities are teaching a Course in "White Studies", about how race was a construct of white people, and how they are the unthinking beneficiaries of privilege. Whoo-boy! Baton down the hatches!

---------------
That was snood's opener. I was wondering what beasts he expected, and why he felt the need to 'baton' the hatches, as well.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:16 pm
Sofia wrote:
Here's something I'm sure will bring out the beast in some A2Kers.

Several Universities are teaching a Course in "White Studies", about how race was a construct of white people, and how they are the unthinking beneficiaries of privilege. Whoo-boy! Baton down the hatches!

---------------
That was snood's opener. I was wondering what beasts he expected, and why he felt the need to 'baton' the hatches, as well.

I think a couple of the posters have already validated my expectations,, sofia. And if you're really interested in why I think what I think, PM me. Otherwise, address the subject, and not me.
0 Replies

Sofia

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:23 pm
Your remarks were in the topic header, and are part of the discussion. Can you explain them?

Why would whiteness studies elicit beasts on A2K? What were your expectations? Who met them?

Do you think race is a construct of white people?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:26 pm
Oh the irony.
0 Replies

Sofia

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:27 pm
Craven--
Do you consider the content of my questions to be off-topic?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:33 pm
Not in the very least. I find them remarkably on topic as well as ironic.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:33 pm
Uh, I think he might have meant batten, Sophia.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:34 pm
Speaking of race, and whiteness studies, it's almost Molson Indy weekend here in Toronto...
0 Replies

Sofia

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:45 pm
Uh, I think he might have meant batten, Sophia, explained dear Rog. Smile
------------
That's what I was thinking as well, but whether he was expecting us to baton them or batten them, he predestined hatch modification. Made me curious.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:57 pm
Sofia wrote:
Uh, I think he might have meant batten, Sophia, explained dear Rog. Smile
------------
That's what I was thinking as well, but whether he was expecting us to baton them or batten them, he predestined hatch modification. Made me curious.

Make a deal with ya, Sofia. You stop trying to dissect my motives, and address what you think about the whiteness studies class, and I'll not comment on what makes you unwilling to do so.
0 Replies

Sofia

Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:18 am
Why don't you tell what YOU think about the whiteness classes, and I'll not comment on what makes you unwilling to do so.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:21 am
Sofia wrote:
Why don't you tell what YOU think about the whiteness classes, and I'll not comment on what makes you unwilling to do so.

I think the class is a very good idea, as a tool for getting people to think.

How about you? did you even read the article linked?
0 Replies

Sofia

Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:39 am
Yes, I read it. I thought you should go first.
I also think the class may have benefits. Teaching new ways for people to be sensitive to other people is always good.
I do think the overwhelming amount of the reading material is complete bullshit, but at least hearing other viewpoints may increase understanding among people, who might have never understood one another.

Reminds me of that Blue Eyed Discrimination thingie some older woman did in Universities, and of course, Rolling Eyes finally on Oprah. I've been in a Racial Sensitivity lecture, that featured something similar to the Whiteness Walk or Walk of Privilege. I don't buy all of it, but I do think Racial Sensitivity is a good thing. These kids are being subjected to alot of input. I hope they know how to weed the BS out, and glom onto what is useful.

It is an elective, correct?
0 Replies

snood

Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:47 am
Sofia wrote:
Yes, I read it. I thought you should go first.
I also think the class may have benefits. Teaching new ways for people to be sensitive to other people is always good.
I do think the overwhelming amount of the reading material is complete bullshit, but at least hearing other viewpoints may increase understanding among people, who might have never understood one another.

Reminds me of that Blue Eyed Discrimination thingie some older woman did in Universities, and of course, Rolling Eyes finally on Oprah. I've been in a Racial Sensitivity lecture, that featured something similar to the Whiteness Walk or Walk of Privilege. I don't buy all of it, but I do think Racial Sensitivity is a good thing. These kids are being subjected to alot of input. I hope they know how to weed the BS out, and glom onto what is useful.

It is an elective, correct?

No, I heard they inject them with sodium pentothal, and handcuff them for the semester. and that's the more compliant ones. The real stubborn ones they soften up with several stanzas of "We Shall Overcome" before the truth serum.
0 Replies

Sofia

Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:53 am
Can you explain what your remark has to do with the topic?
0 Replies

snood

Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:03 am
uh... just a little levity - you're right. I really should stick to the subject. A thousand pardons. Please stop addressing me, and just address the topic, and I'll be less distracted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:11 am
Whereas i think the class is silly, i do agree with the sentiment expressed that people need to have their eyes opened to the realities of life and race in America. I'm not certain if this is the correct path, however--and, i'd add the caveat that in my experience, young people (say 16 to 24 years of age) are more intolerant of new ideas and differing opinions than peole of lesser or greater age, certainly i was at that age, and, as i look back, so were others of my age. The membership of the SDS were convinced that the bath water needed to be thrown out, baby and all; the members of the YAF were convinced that everything was find the way it was, that anyone advocating change was dangerous communist revolutionary, and that the sun rose and set on Richard Nixon.

As far as the topice of whiteness as an abstract idea, i may be too close to it to really "get it." Being Irish, i'm about as white as you will find anyone--i get a bad sunburn if i sit in a darkened room and think about sunshine for too long.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:20 am
I am hoping these classes take on important issues like abolishing the term "tighty whiteys", which I find highly offensive. As a race, we have called black people many horrible things over the years, but I don't ever recall black people being referred to as a pair of ball-pinching undies. (Give me some time to wake up, I may actually get serious today....)
0 Replies