Whiteness Studies

dyslexia

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:29 pm
c.i. i don't totally disagree with you but, I do think that in this country we whites have gone to extreme measures to deny and avoid our own history (revisionism?) to such a great extent that most younger people today think the civil rights movement was right after the civil war, that those Japanese were interred because there was good reason to suspect them of treason, that native americans have been treated fairly since the 1880's and that mexican-americans snuck across the border into the southwest to take over from the "native white americans" who were there first.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:02 pm
dys, That's the reason I said we have seen progress in the past 50 years. There will always be some of every race, culture, religion, political and sexual orientation that will never get it. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:50 pm
And that has been proven once again today!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:28 pm
A couple of pages ago, Steissed wrote, in part:

"... The ancestors of some American Whites were slaveowners, the ancestors of some of American Blacks were cannibals, while in Africa; so what? None of the Americans is either a slaveowner or a cannibal (except psychos of any race) any more. It is necessary to leave bygones to professional historians, and to proceed toward society of universal prosperity and justice for all."

Steissd, that's really cutting through the B.S., I mean, man, this is mighty white of you, no kidding.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:35 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:39 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:08 pm
My ancestors were equal opportunists way before their time. They ate their slaves when they were no longer useful, but if a slaveowner died, the slaves were invited to the barbecue as a token of good will, and were even allowed to eat as much as they wanted. Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:17 pm
And you became a chef! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:18 pm
cavfancier wrote:
My ancestors were equal opportunists way before their time. They ate their slaves when they were no longer useful, but if a slaveowner died, the slaves were invited to the barbecue as a token of good will, and were even allowed to eat as much as they wanted. Very Happy

You do know you're not a well person, don't you, Cav? Shocked
0 Replies

dyslexia

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:20 pm
Alfred Packer, our famed Colorado cannibal, when handing down his sentence was reprimanded by the Judge for not only being a cannibal but eating every Democrat in Lake County, Colorado. Slaves were entirely too valuable to be eaten in this neck of the woods.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:21 pm
Lol, yeah snood, but it was really just a joke. Wink I am closer to the Underground Railroad than any cannibal.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:37 pm
Actually, to be honest, I don't really care enough about race to be interested in stuff like this, except as a laugh. I hold my wife up as an ambassador for the world, and I challenge anyone to guess her race, not that it even matters, but her story is interesting. I can picture myself in some college being forced to take "white studies" and I just break out laughing. That poor professor....I would make their life a living hell. Let's face it, except for the Native Americans/Canadians, we are all immigrants. Note to Canada: remember this....just because our racism is better-hidden then the USA does not mean it doesn't exist. I say it's time we just get over it already and start focusing on 'human' problems.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:58 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Actually, to be honest, I don't really care enough about race to be interested in stuff like this, except as a laugh. I hold my wife up as an ambassador for the world, and I challenge anyone to guess her race, not that it even matters, but her story is interesting. I can picture myself in some college being forced to take "white studies" and I just break out laughing. That poor professor....I would make their life a living hell. Let's face it, except for the Native Americans/Canadians, we are all immigrants. Note to Canada: remember this....just because our racism is better-hidden then the USA does not mean it doesn't exist. I say it's time we just get over it already and start focusing on 'human' problems.

Cav hath spoken - think that'll do it?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:25 pm
I hold to a belief that we were settled by people from outer space (and before you scoff, let me remind you that it is entirely within the realm of possibility that this earth will give out in one way or another, and we will then settle somewhere else).

It has always been difficult for me to understand why we are so many different people. Origins, evolutions are nice studies for me - but not answers. I am bewildered by the variety.

I know this isn't your question, snood, but I really don't know. I took the test - got 8 - don't really know how. I also find that as I get older, it matters less to me. I don't know why that is so, either. What I think is that I am just getting tired of trying to figure it all out.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:49 pm
I didn't ask a question. What's fascinating to me is the directions people ran off in at the mere mention of this class, and that's all I did.

I said they're teaching a class called "white studies" at several Universities, and that it held white privilege up for examination, among some other things.

Phoenix practically accuses me of denigrating the entirety of white people, Steissed jumps in a foxhole on the defensive about "weakening the country"......

Yeah baby, we're a-okay in the race department here in the US of A.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:57 pm
Oh. Well, maybe it connects to what's happening with the equal-opportunity questions at some colleges now.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:00 pm
And maybe it's just a continuation of an ancient debate - the necessity for feeling guilt somehow taking care of the fact that the guilt is deserved? But it's not ever just one-sided.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:01 pm
Cav hath spoken? Thanks snood, for the biblical props. I always wanted to be a God. Personally, I don't have enough information to judge whether or not these classes would be good for race relations or not. Why can't general high school history classes cover the questions regarding 'white privilege'? What exactly IS your opinion on this issue? Inquiring minds want to know....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:02 pm
Yeah, mamaj, a very controversial issue, so as a topic of current events, it's relative. c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:06 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Craven- The train tracks run both ways. I have found that many people despise certain traits in others that they possess themselves!

I think that if a person expects goodness in people, he will find it. If he chooses to focus on the bad in people, he will find that too. It is all a matter of perspective!

Yup and the circle can go forever. I find it odd that you seek to apply it to others first. You ask snood if he is prejudiced against whites and the questions beg:

Does the train tracks run both ways? Have you found that you despise certain traits in others that you possess yourself?

Do you think that if a person expects goodness in people, he will find it? If you choose to focus on the bad in people, will you find that too?

IMO you were far to quick to second guess snood and imply that he's prejudiced and I find your explanation to be one of the most ironic ever.
0 Replies