Gouing to Italy

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:32 am
Hi 2 all
I am going to go to Italy, but I don't know which cities to visit
Can you advise me something ?
Perhaps you have been to this country, if yes, where exactly and which hotels did you stay?
Lots of thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 699 • Replies: 5
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:45 am
Ossobuco should be along any minute to help you out. I went to Italy last year. Venice is a must.

Who are you going with? Is this a romantic adventure, or a trip with friends? When are you going? How much time will you be spending there? I highly recommend going south, to Sorrento and/or Capri. Capri is one of the most beautiful places ever.

There are many helpful websites out there for living arrangements, but I don't happen to remember any of them offhand.

Here's a link to the thread I started on the topic almost two years ago, if you want to check it out. There is a lot of good info there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:04 pm
Hi, Gabriel. A lot of us on A2k have been to Italy, and some have lived there. Raphillon, for example, lives in the Rome area and has given people here helpful comments if he has seen the thread.

Italy is very rich in diverse cities and beautiful land, with many layers of cultural history, and, to many of us, wonderful food.
It would help us to know how much time you will be there, and what you like to do, what your interests might be (for example, do you hate museums, or enjoy looking at paintings in them?) What time of year will you be going? As Kicky says, are you with friends, on a romantic trip, going with family, or are you going alone?

Oh, and click on the link Kicky gave (the blue letters saying 'Here's') - lots of comments in there already.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:14 pm
More questions -

are you interested in seeing old roman amphitheaters, learning about the Etruscans, or seeing old mosaics? None of those? Are you interested in modern style, or, say, automobile design? Classical music (seeing very old violins?) Hiking? Gorgeous scenery? If you're interested in architecture at all, you'll go crazy with how much there is to see.

Since you asked about holy days on your other thread (did you mean holidays?) you may be interested in all the churches... countless wonderful churches.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 03:59 pm
Tuscany, no other place in Italy as beautiful, IMO. Florence for art, Rome for history. Try to get to Sardinia, an island that you would never regret visiting & not too hard to get to.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:32 am
In 2003 I travelled Rome,Florence,Sienna and Venice. If you're looking for any lodging info I'd be happy to find where we stayed. I was pretty happy with all of our choices. I'm currently planning to travel Northern Italy with a friend in April. We plan on seeing Lake Como and the Cinque Terra with 3 days still up in the air. I'm finding tripadvisor.com to be very helpful.

Just grabbed my Italy stuff...Venice-- Locanda Gambero--email [email protected] No lift, on third floor but great location and clean. Beds weren't very comfy though.
Sienna--Pensione Palazzo Ravizza--LOVED THIS PLACE! has elevator www.palazzoravizza.it
Rome--Residenza Cellini--www.residenzacellini.it--great location near train terminal and metro station

I didn't tour Milan but overnighted for morning flight out of Malpensa. Stayed near airport--La Pista Hotel-- www.lapistahotel.it ---Family run with transport to airport. We took a bus from Venice and were picked up and transported to hotel. Our bags were carried up to 3rd floor by one of the restaraunts cooks(no lift) then we ate in the restaraunt(AWESOME FOOD!) our waiter was the guy who picked us up. Room was nothing fancy but we just needed a place to sleep before our morning flight. The restaraunt looked like it was frequented by the locals. Good sign!

I also suggest Rick Steves' travel books.

Happy travels!
0 Replies