Insuring Young Drivers

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:48 am
My oldest daughter got her DL this summer. I recently bought a new car for me, which I really needed. When we redid the insurance, it went up quite dramatically.

What tricks or knowledge might you A2K'ers offer about how to save money on insurance for young drivers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,618 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:55 am
They usually offer a good student discount... B average I think gets you a discount.

They also usually offer discounts for day time running lights, security/alarm system, multi-car discount.

The only one I know of that is specifically for young drivers is the good student discount.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:57 am
Oh... and maybe if she completed a defensive driving class. I think some companies offer discounts for that as well.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:58 am
Yeah, that sucks. I think she may qualify for that this semester as she's been working hard. School isn't her best subject. Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:04 am
our insurance went form 53.00 a month to 206.00 and I've got another child getting his license soon.

People who set insurance rates need to burn in hell with Hitler.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:06 am
Whatever you do, DON'T move to Massachusetts!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:10 am
Michigan has something called "PIP" which appears to be some form of Candian insurance - where I pay for others who can't afford medical coverage so they can ride in my car. They also have a per vehicle "catastrophic accident fee" of $150/year.

Retarded!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:56 am
The only discount I remember as a teenager was a discount if you took driver's ed - probably similar to the one some one mentioned as defensive driving. I also remember my parents having me pay the additional insurance if I wanted to the use car - honestly I think this does instill a sense of responsibility.

My friend in CA also told me about the high grades average in school discount. She loves it. They have their daughter pay for the insurance similar to what I had to do (they are secretly taking this money and then saving it for her), and when her grades dropped, she realized how much this costs her. As a result, she brought her grades up - excellent incentive to do well in school and learn a valuable lesson.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:15 am
She actually had to take the class portion twice as we moved when she had her permit and Michigan screwed up the process. Poor kid.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:20 am
Register the car in YOUR name. And list yourself as the principle driver.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:27 am
Keep her gun at home, not in the vehicle?

Ok, What Nick said. Smile
That's what I did when I got my first car. Good old step-daddy stepped up for me.

Then, when she is out of school and she can license it as a 'working car' - it may go down. Guess it depends on the insurance la-ti-da where you are at though.

Know any insurance agents? There are loop-holes, ifn you find one to buddy up to.

p.s. cjhsa - that was a sweet thing you did for her.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:28 am
Cars are in my name, but if you have three licensed drivers and three cars, one driver has to be assigned to each car.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:30 am
Make sure she isn't rated as the principle driver on either car. That is, unless you have three cars and three drivers, in which case she has to be the principle driver on one of them. If she does need to be listed as the principle driver of a car, make sure it's the least valuable car.

The good student discount is almost $400/year for us. K didn't quite make a 3.0 gpa last semester and I didn't let her get her license because of it. She's got another chance coming up in January at the end of this semester. Her first quarter grades averaged a 3.07.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:39 am
in ontario the discount for passing "driver's ed" course is quite substantial , but not just any driving school will do - check with insurance company/agent to find out which course qualifies .
you should also be able to find an agent who'll shop around .
insurance rates are all over the place and it pays to "shop around" - even a few phone-calls might be rewarding .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 01:21 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Michigan has something called "PIP" which appears to be some form of Candian insurance - where I pay for others who can't afford medical coverage so they can ride in my car. They also have a per vehicle "catastrophic accident fee" of $150/year.

Retarded!

Michigan's got amazingly rich no-fault coverages. Way past anything available in Canada. I can tell ya I get crazy when I have to reserve a file for Michigan no-fault benefits. Quite a few other states also have no-fault (PIP - personal injury protection) plans, but nothing like Michigan.

The premiums reflect the coverages. Be thankful for that cat. fee. That could save your can given Michigan's level of benefits and any possible exposure to experience rating.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
oh ... while it's tempting to assign her to the least valuable vehicle, don't do it unless that's the vehicle she'll be driving on a regular basis. Not worth the trouble of the policies being cancelled if a broker/agent/insurer figure it out.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 05:02 pm
no doubt cjhsa wil be dancing with joy about all the good news he heard here Crying or Very sad .
hbg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 05:18 pm
All I have to say is that I saw the title as "Injuring Young Drivers." So naturally I clicked it.

Imagine my disappointment.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 05:29 pm
I've never heard that it's illegal to own more than one car!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:25 am
NickFun wrote:
I've never heard that it's illegal to own more than one car!

It is not that it is illegal to own more than one car, but the insurance company assumes if you have 2 licensed drivers in a household and 2 cars that each car would have a primary driver. Similar with any other number of drivers. I know this as we tried to do something similar - as the person with the lowest points pay lower insurance rates.
0 Replies