margo

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:21 am
sounds good - but I'm not likely to make it .....Crying or Very sad

waitching and waiting.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:43 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Every A2Ker would be welcome to ride the train for however much of the journey he/she would like.

I am absolutely serious about this. I intend to go after some of our Aussie and European brethern. -johnboy-

I'd really liked to join and do that .... but booked my flights already Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:47 am
Can't change them - so I'll just do the New York-Boston part .... and in early June (didn't buy my Amtrak tickets for that yet, though :wink: ).
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:47 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Yall are laughing at johnboy for his idea. Toothpaste and underwear.

But mark my words. This sucker is going to happen. 15 A2Kers will ride on a portion of the trip and I will shake hands with 150 A2K members.

Who else can claim to that?

Just because it's a good idea doesn't mean we won't laugh at you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 08:12 am
realjohnboy wrote:
I have been thinking about this for awhile. I have even done a bit of research on this. Here is the plan.

Sometime in 2007, Johnboy will get on a Northbound Amtrak train for NY or Boston. He might spend a day in those cities meeting with A2Kers, but the amusement would come from some A2Ker riding along for a bit.
And then on to Chicago. Perhaps someone would come along for that whole segment, or perhaps just for a few stops.
From Chicago through the Great Plains and the mountains to Seattle, I would hope to meet A2Kers at whistle stops.
Seattle down through CA. And then across the SW and South.

Every A2Ker would be welcome to ride the train for however much of the journey he/she would like.

I am absolutely serious about this. I intend to go after some of our Aussie and European brethern. -johnboy-

Sounds like a blast, RJB. Depending on the timeframe, I might be able to jump on in Chicago for a bit.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 08:58 am
L.A. to Albaturkey.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:52 am
I had checked that when I first moved here - that's a sixteen hour ride, another reason I'd like a "roomette". Amtrack may stop in Phoenix too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:04 am
LA to Albaturkey roomette runs slightly over $200. To the best of my knowledge there is no passenger train service that connects to Phoenix.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:06 am
BBB
Terrific idea. Anyone got a personal railroad car to attach to Amtrak?

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:15 am
And according to my friend, that $200. included meals - not sure if it still does.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:20 am
ossobuco wrote:
And according to my friend, that $200. included meals - not sure if it still does.

Yes it does.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:22 am
I see, I goofed re Phoenix.

http://www.trainweb.org/moksrail/images/logos/swchief_map_web1.JPG

I see the southern route, the Sunset Limited, goes through Tuscon..
Sunset Limited
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:40 am
Gallup, New Mexico?
Flagstaff, Arizona?
Don't forget Winona!
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:42 am
McTag wrote:
Gallup, New Mexico?
Flagstaff, Arizona?
Don't forget Winona!

winslow.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:43 am
Correct. But you sang it off key.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:44 am
and of course, my favorite Seligman Az
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:47 am
This old pool hall is located on the original alignment of Route 66 through Seligman, before it was moved a block north to its present location. Across the street from the railroad tracks and just down the block from the old Seligman Railroad Depot and Harvey House, this was an ideal location for this gaming establishment. Angel Delgadillo's father owned and operated the Seligman Pool Hall during the early years of Route 66. If these walls could talk, what wondrous stories they could tell of those wild old days. Seligman was alive with the hustle and bustle of travelers from both the Railroad and Route 66.;
http://www.theroadwanderer.net/images/WA66SeligmanPool_Hall.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm
dyslexia wrote:
McTag wrote:
Gallup, New Mexico?
Flagstaff, Arizona?
Don't forget Winona!

winslow.

Was that you on the corner?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:03 pm
What a great idea! [size=8]After a train trip from Toronto to Chicago, when I met a couple of people doing the cross-continent train trip, I've thought I'd like to do the same thing.[/size]

I'm hoping to be shaking hands with Walter in Europe in Autumn 2007. Perhaps this <the train trip> could be a semi-annual kind-of idea.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:26 pm
I forgot about the A2K Meet in Barcelona. I am not planning on going so I stopped watching that thread. Was a date ever nailed down for that?
0 Replies