Taking drugs

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 11:13 am
years and years and years of touring in bands. I did more drugs than probably anyone you'd care to meet.

When I found myself in a situation, as I am now, where it was impractical, I quit.

When I retire and my cubs are out on their own there are certain drugs I wil begin to enjoy again.

To each his own. Just use some common sense.l
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:07 pm
Drugs can NEVER bring happiness. All they can do is postpone misery.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:38 pm
That would be a good signature line, Cyracus.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:02 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

All drugs Cyracuz?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:17 pm
Yep.

Even penicillin. Fungus takes the germs, and you live to sneeze another day. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:19 pm
I'll quibble too. Some drugs leave room for happiness to happen, if not to cause it specifically. And some that I've personally not taken but have heard about can give one a sense of euphoria, which I can imagine confusing with actual happiness.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:28 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

I disagree. Sure, the feelings of happiness some drugs give may be artificial but some of the experiences you can have taking drugs can be very happy indeed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:38 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Yep.

Even penicillin. Fungus takes the germs, and you live to sneeze another day. Smile

well, I suppose if you look at it that way, it all comes down to the fact we are all going to die sometime, so why give anyone, from infancy on, any drugs at all.

you could go from there saying it wouldn't make any difference if we were all aborted befoe having to suffer through any of life.

I'm surprised at you cyracuz.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:39 pm
One can experience happiness while on drugs, sure. But only while the drug is working. Then there's the hangover. Isn't it part of the effect of the drug?

I've tried amphetamine. Three times was what it took before I decided that the relatively short high wasn't worth the days of misery that follow.

And that is my point. We must look at the entire effect of the drug, not just the five minutes of euphoric ecstacy.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:49 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
One can experience happiness while on drugs, sure. But only while the drug is working. Then there's the hangover. Isn't it part of the effect of the drug?

I've tried amphetamine. Three times was what it took before I decided that the relatively short high wasn't worth the days of misery that follow.

And that is my point. We must look at the entire effect of the drug, not just the five minutes of euphoric ecstacy.

I see what you're saying but millions of people obviously think the intensity of those happy moments makes the come down worth it.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:54 pm
I agree that drugs can never bring happiness.

They can keep us alive long enough to keep fighting though. Or bring a moment of relief that is much needed. Or clear up a symptom which is interfering with recovery.

Lots of good uses for drugs, so long as you are a good doctor. Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 03:16 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

However, lumping all drugs together is not correct, true or fair.

One does not, obviously get a high from all drugs.

If you have ever experienced severe, excuse me, diahhrea, the drug you'd take for it isn't going to give you a feeling of euphoria, just relief. Which I'll admit, if you've been up cramping all night in severe pain, that can be euphoric.

Did you read over the posts prior to these? It seems you are addressing drugs that are mood altering, that specifically bring about a feeling of a high.

Obviously, not all drugs do that. The penicillen you mentioned doesn't get you high, and it doesn't guarantee you'll just live to see the day the same thing will happen to you.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 03:35 pm
You are right Chai Tea. I was using the word to mean mood altering drugs primarily, and didn't give much thought to other drugs that relieve pain or cure illness. Confused

So I'll have to moderate my statement to : Mood altering drugs can never bring happiness.

For the rest I have to think about it... :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 04:09 pm
Norwegians are clearly too healthy to make fair assumptions here. Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 04:19 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Are we not obligated to work towards our own happiness?

Yes, we are not.

What makes you think that we have an obligation to work toward our own happiness? Isn't happiness something that we seek for its own sake and not because we are obliged to do so?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 04:24 pm
Oh we norwegians are just as mangy as the rest of the world I'd say Smile

Incidentally, my mother is a nurse, so I have picked up some knowledge. But in norway there we use different terms. 'Drug' is a term limited to illegal substances. The rest just goes by their names or 'medicine'.
So I assumed this thread was about illegal substances only. My bad.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:30 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Oh we norwegians are just as mangy as the rest of the world I'd say Smile

Incidentally, my mother is a nurse, so I have picked up some knowledge. But in norway there we use different terms. 'Drug' is a term limited to illegal substances. The rest just goes by their names or 'medicine'.
So I assumed this thread was about illegal substances only. My bad.

Ahhhh...that clears things up.

My faith in you is restored.
Can you ever forgive me?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:35 pm
Whew...

Dare I ask what is happiness?

I have a friend who has joked, "have you ever seen me happy?", mainly as a commentary on her own crabbiness.

I have a very simple view of it, which is that I think of it as a perhaps momentary sense of one's own well-being.

In this context, Chai's being able to rest with the cat in the sun fits the definition.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 11:16 pm
Re: Taking drugs
stuh505 wrote:
Is there any difference between taking a drug like marijuana or ecstacy vs antidepressants, legal issues aside? It seems to me that they are both categories of drugs taken for the sole purpose of increasing happiness.

Recreational drugs are usually taken for recreation.

Prescription drugs are usually taken for medical reasons.

Many prescriptions drugs have nasty side effects, and are unpleasant, although necessary for survival under some medical conditions. Those certainly aren't being used to increase happiness (unless you count survival as a form of happiness).

Obviously some medicinal drugs can be abused, and many are. But I don't think you can equate the general class of medications with purely recrational drugs. They may all be drugs, but the reasons for taking them can be very different.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:06 am
Re: Taking drugs
rosborne979 wrote:
Many prescriptions drugs have nasty side effects, and are unpleasant, although necessary for survival under some medical conditions. Those certainly aren't being used to increase happiness (unless you count survival as a form of happiness).

I think that's stuh's point. But then to say that the "happiness" that one gets from good health is the same as the "happiness" one gets from recreational drugs is either to place "happiness" at too abstract a level for any useful analysis or to engage in a fallacy of equivocation.
0 Replies