Taking drugs

candidone1

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 03:38 pm
Well, as a former (and fairly heavy/frequent) user of many illicit substances, including cocaine, ecstasy, ketamine, GHB and crystal meth....I can attest to the fact that drugs do not make an individual happier, either at the time, or after the fact.

Of all the topics on A2K, this is perhaps the one I am most able to respond to:

Quote:
Is there any difference between taking a drug like marijuana or ecstacy vs antidepressants, legal issues aside? It seems to me that they are both categories of drugs taken for the sole purpose of increasing happiness.

I liked being high. I liked the energy. I liked the altered reality I experienced while I was high. Happiness, or lack thereof, was never a factor in the equation. Getting as high as possible was.
Now, whether or not you differentiate between the pursuit of "fun" as something synonymous with pursuit of happiness, I don't know. Perhaps you can elaborate on this distinction if it matters.
I was happy high and I was happy sober. (Coming down was another thing entirely).
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:02 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
What makes you think that we have an obligation to work toward our own happiness? Isn't happiness something that we seek for its own sake and not because we are obliged to do so?

Because every conscious decision that a person makes serves the ulterior purpose of attempting to fulfilling personal happiness. The motive of fulfilling happiness may not be a conscious one, but it is still there.

For instance, a person who gives to the poor, or makes personal sacrifices, does so because they think it is right...and in so doing, they feel that they are doing good, and this brings them happiness at the cost of material things. In other extreme examples, many times people do things that cause themselves to be less happy...like cowardly abandoning a friend, or getting themselves shamelessly addicted and drawn into some downward spiral...but even these actions were done for the subconscious ulterior motive of personal happiness; they did not think things through, perhaps, but at the time they did what they wanted to do -- at the time, their fear, or their addiction, made them want to do one thing instead of the other...and therefore what they did (they thought) they wanted to do most.

Clearly, personal happiness is the ultimate goal of every person...although it is not so easily defined, because the ingredients for happiness vary so much, and could appear entirely selfless, or even suicidal. But my point is that if drugs can be used to bring on happiness, it seems stubborn to ignore them. Of course, even the most effective drugs have ways of bringing about unhappiness as well, for instance withdrawl, cost, disapproval of friends and relatives, addiction...so it is for reasons like this that we avoid them. But hypothetically, if a drug could bring only happiness...

Quote:
I liked being high. I liked the energy. I liked the altered reality I experienced while I was high. Happiness, or lack thereof, was never a factor in the equation. Getting as high as possible was.
Now, whether or not you differentiate between the pursuit of "fun" as something synonymous with pursuit of happiness, I don't know. Perhaps you can elaborate on this distinction if it matters.

Well, it is probably clear from my description above...enjoyment is happiness, there is no temporal span; from one moment to the next you can be happy or unhappy, and we always strive for happiness in the moment, it is only the immediate happiness of the thought of lasting happiness that makes us want to do things that will cause lasting happiness.[b/]
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:30 am
stuh505 wrote:
Because every conscious decision that a person makes serves the ulterior purpose of attempting to fulfilling personal happiness. The motive of fulfilling happiness may not be a conscious one, but it is still there.

So, for instance, when I choose to eat with my fork in my right hand rather in my left hand, I am motivated by an attempt to fulfill my personal happiness? Frankly, I find that rather difficult to believe. There is nothing to suggest that every conscious decision is motivated by a desire to increase one's happiness.

stuh505 wrote:
For instance, a person who gives to the poor, or makes personal sacrifices, does so because they think it is right...and in so doing, they feel that they are doing good, and this brings them happiness at the cost of material things.

But what then is the person's motivation? The desire to do right or the desire to increase happiness? Or are they the same thing?

stuh505 wrote:
In other extreme examples, many times people do things that cause themselves to be less happy...like cowardly abandoning a friend, or getting themselves shamelessly addicted and drawn into some downward spiral...but even these actions were done for the subconscious ulterior motive of personal happiness; they did not think things through, perhaps, but at the time they did what they wanted to do -- at the time, their fear, or their addiction, made them want to do one thing instead of the other...and therefore what they did (they thought) they wanted to do most.

So you'd argue that no one does anything akratically (i.e. against their own interests)?

stuh505 wrote:
Clearly, personal happiness is the ultimate goal of every person...

I don't think that's very clear at all. Take Robert Nozick's example of the "Experience Machine." If personal happiness were truly the ultimate goal of every person, then every person would prefer to be hooked up to an experience machine that provided unalloyed pleasure rather than living a life that did not guarantee such ceaseless delight. Are you saying that everyone would make that choice if given the opportunity?

stuh505 wrote:
...although it is not so easily defined, because the ingredients for happiness vary so much, and could appear entirely selfless, or even suicidal. But my point is that if drugs can be used to bring on happiness, it seems stubborn to ignore them. Of course, even the most effective drugs have ways of bringing about unhappiness as well, for instance withdrawl, cost, disapproval of friends and relatives, addiction...so it is for reasons like this that we avoid them. But hypothetically, if a drug could bring only happiness...

If you're saying that drug usage is difficult to eradicate because it gives many people pleasure, then you're not saying anything worth saying. Of course people use drugs because they like drugs, or, perhaps more accurately, they like using drugs in preference to not using drugs. On the other hand, if you're saying that drug usage is moral, because it yields pleasure to those who use them, and that it would consequently be immoral to stop someone from using drugs, then you should make that point clear.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:55 am
Quote:
So, for instance, when I choose to eat with my fork in my right hand rather in my left hand, I am motivated by an attempt to fulfill my personal happiness? Frankly, I find that rather difficult to believe. There is nothing to suggest that every conscious decision is motivated by a desire to increase one's happiness.

Choosing which hand to use is not normally a conscious decision, so it does not apply to my statement. However, if you were to stop and think about it for some reason, you would notice that you are less comfortable using your left hand, which would make eating feel less natural and be less efficient at achieving the goal of putting food in your stomach. Assuming that you are hungry, putting food in your stomach would increase your happiness. Feeling uncomfortable would decrease your happiness. Therefore, if you made the decision consciously, then yes it would be motivated by personal happiness like everything else (I argue).

Quote:
But what then is the person's motivation? The desire to do right or the desire to increase happiness? Or are they the same thing?

Unconscious or instinctive actions do not have motivations. For conscious decisions, there are infinite possible surface motivations, corresponding to the infinite possible interactions in the world and our emotions and desires and relationships etc. I argue that every single one of these infinite possible surface motivations is just a more specialized classification of the motivation to achieve happiness. I do not expect that the person be aware of the higher order motivations that the intended motivation inherits from.

Quote:
So you'd argue that no one does anything akratically (i.e. against their own interests)?

If it were an instinctive or impulsive act that did not require thinking than it could be. These actions are controlled by a subconscious processing unit.

If you define personal interests by some arbitrary metric of observing a person's behavior, you cannot expect their actions to appear to satisfy their own interests.

But we must recognize that every decision that a person makes is based on the input data. Some of this input data comes from memory (past experiences), some of it is streaming. If we did not have a way of distinguishing good decisions from bad ones, we would have no need of a brain to make decisions because all decisions would be equally good.

Therefore, we do have a means for comparing two decisions, and this means for comparing can be roughly referred to as a "set of goals" although it is clear that it cannot be so easily surmised as a simple list of things to achieve -- we do not know how these goals are actually represented.

Furthermore, these goals must have either been encoded into our brains genetically or acquired through life experience (the more likely, most common way). In order for the brain to determine goals from life experience it must rely on judging what had positive or negative feedback according to more basic innate goals. I believe that there is no other kind of happiness other than these basic innate positive/negative feedbacks. Therefore, since all possible goals that drive the brains' decisions were based on these feedbacks, it is straightforward to see that the brain's decisions at a low level merely attempt to satisfy the original positive feedbacks and minimize the negative feedbacks. (also, note that a decision making process is not instantaneous and is therefore subject to feedback cycles loops etc, which could result in a no-action without that being the desired choice)

Quote:
I don't think that's very clear at all. Take Robert Nozick's example of the "Experience Machine." If personal happiness were truly the ultimate goal of every person, then every person would prefer to be hooked up to an experience machine that provided unalloyed pleasure rather than living a life that did not guarantee such ceaseless delight. Are you saying that everyone would make that choice if given the opportunity?

Yes, I have heard of this. This is basically the same question that I have tried to pose with drugs, where I have referred to "perfect" drugs in an ideal sense...that idea didn't really catch because everyone automatically associates the word drug with their experiences in real life which was not my intent. The term experience machine works much better because it is blatantly abstract.

Anyway, back on point -- my view is that a person would not choose the experience machine because their experiences have "taught them" (eg, developed goals) that either give negative feedback for trying to take the easy way out, or positive feedback for the inverse. Our brains do not revert to the original positive/negative feedbacks when making complex decisions because this problem would be of nearly infinitely higher order complexity. Instead, the brain attempts to maximize the goals that were developed based on the low-order feedbacks. There must be a very good system for developing goals because in most cases this works out because the experiences in our life are relatively static, in terms of what is and is not possible. We have not grown up around the possibility of "experience machines." A newborn child would not have any goals developed yet, so it would simply try things and work on developing goals based on the innate positive/negative feedback. If it tried the experience machine, it would get (by definition) positive feedback, and it would then develop a higher order goal system oriented around that. In our developments we learned that in most cases, hard work pays off while shortcutting can result in bad side effects...and this gives rise to goals that bring out personality traits like stubbornness, pride, etc...and these could prevent a person from choosing the experience machine, regardless of how much verbal convincing you tried to do -- they cannot use logic to rearrange the higher order goals. However, the higher order goals can be changed over time by new experiences because they are constantly in a state of flux, so if a mature person was forced to use the experience machine for a long enough period of time (and by definition, the experience machine cannot result in any negative effects) then that person will undoubtedly become a proponent of the machine and choose to use it voluntarily once taken off.*

* Note: there is one caveat. Although the experience machine itself, by definiton, has no ill effects, being forced to do something will likely already be developed as a negative higher-order goal, so the initial hooking up to the device would give negative feedback to the person, which would delay the time it took for the person to become a proponent of the machine. Because some type of time-weighted average must be used to readjust goals, this delay would very likely never be infinite, although the time might very well be longer than a person's lifetime, resulting in them never liking the machine. But if they were immortal, then at some time, they would eventually like it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:13 pm
I have had an interesting experience in this realm. While I don't currently use drugs other than caffeine and alcohol, I believe in them as effective tools. I guess it depends on your pursuit.

Several years ago I was very angry and judgmental and a bunch of other things. I had all of these ideas that weren't based on anything except making me feel superior. But I knew it wasn't a good place to be and started seeking out people to talk to. This was effective but I still had so much anger just blocking everything. Anger and fear. Enter ecstacy. Drop one with the girl you hate from work -- the high goes away but somehow you can never quite bring yourself to hate her again. Drop one with your big black friend and explore racism, including your own. You just want to talk to people and listen to their stories. You just want to love. You're free of fear -- of rejection, yourself, whatever. You come down and expect all of those things to completely go away but they don't. Maybe it altered my brain, I don't know. I think, for me, it was very useful as a therapeutic tool. I stopped doing it after just a few months mostly because it requires so much time and I still had a job to do. I found it not addictive at all. I'm greatful for that experience. I've had a few others but always as part of a some kind of quest or searching or whatever you want to call it. I found them all very useful.

I understand that for some people it's about immediate relief and that may be another story. But I strongly favor experimentation in the context of a greater search or therapy. But long term use in order to just stay where you are seems useless to me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:31 pm
That's very interesting FreeDuck.

I couple of months ago I watched this documentary about LSD. The interviews were with the original developers of the drug, and what their intents for it were.

Bottem line, all of them were disappointed that Timothy Leary got hold of it and turned it into something recreational in peoples minds.

The way they explained it, they saw that LSD had the potential to help some people, but it had to be done under STRICTLY CONTROLLED circumstances. It was not like, here, take a hit of acid and let's see what happens.

Of course it got in the hands of just about everybody, with no proper preparation or understanding of its potential.

hmmmm....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:49 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Choosing which hand to use is not normally a conscious decision, so it does not apply to my statement. However, if you were to stop and think about it for some reason, you would notice that you are less comfortable using your left hand, which would make eating feel less natural and be less efficient at achieving the goal of putting food in your stomach. Assuming that you are hungry, putting food in your stomach would increase your happiness. Feeling uncomfortable would decrease your happiness. Therefore, if you made the decision consciously, then yes it would be motivated by personal happiness like everything else (I argue).

I am equally adept at using a fork with my right hand as I am at using one with my left hand. To me, it makes no difference, as I can feed myself quite satisfactorily regardless of my choice. Yet I certainly do not pick up a fork with either hand unconsciously. So how is my choice conducive to my happiness?

stuh505 wrote:
Unconscious or instinctive actions do not have motivations. For conscious decisions, there are infinite possible surface motivations, corresponding to the infinite possible interactions in the world and our emotions and desires and relationships etc. I argue that every single one of these infinite possible surface motivations is just a more specialized classification of the motivation to achieve happiness. I do not expect that the person be aware of the higher order motivations that the intended motivation inherits from.

Then how do you know if you're right? If a person's higher-order motivations are unknown even to that person, how do you know what they are?

stuh505 wrote:
Quote:

If it were an instinctive or impulsive act that did not require thinking than it could be. These actions are controlled by a subconscious processing unit.

If you define personal interests by some arbitrary metric of observing a person's behavior, you cannot expect their actions to appear to satisfy their own interests.

I can't imagine that my definition of "personal interests" is any more arbitrary than your definition of "personal happiness." Surely a person can judge what is in his or her own best interests just as easily as a person can judge what is most conducive to his or her own happiness.

stuh505 wrote:
But we must recognize that every decision that a person makes is based on the input data. Some of this input data comes from memory (past experiences), some of it is streaming. If we did not have a way of distinguishing good decisions from bad ones, we would have no need of a brain to make decisions because all decisions would be equally good.

Therefore, we do have a means for comparing two decisions, and this means for comparing can be roughly referred to as a "set of goals" although it is clear that it cannot be so easily surmised as a simple list of things to achieve -- we do not know how these goals are actually represented.

Furthermore, these goals must have either been encoded into our brains genetically or acquired through life experience (the more likely, most common way). In order for the brain to determine goals from life experience it must rely on judging what had positive or negative feedback according to more basic innate goals. I believe that there is no other kind of happiness other than these basic innate positive/negative feedbacks. Therefore, since all possible goals that drive the brains' decisions were based on these feedbacks, it is straightforward to see that the brain's decisions at a low level merely attempt to satisfy the original positive feedbacks and minimize the negative feedbacks. (also, note that a decision making process is not instantaneous and is therefore subject to feedback cycles loops etc, which could result in a no-action without that being the desired choice)

If you define "happiness" as "positive feedbacks," then you've pretty much admitted that you have no definition for "happiness," since your description of "positive feedbacks" is simply another way of saying "that which makes one happy." It's an empty tautology.

stuh505 wrote:
Anyway, back on point -- my view is that a person would not choose the experience machine because their experiences have "taught them" (eg, developed goals) that either give negative feedback for trying to take the easy way out, or positive feedback for the inverse. Our brains do not revert to the original positive/negative feedbacks when making complex decisions because this problem would be of nearly infinitely higher order complexity. Instead, the brain attempts to maximize the goals that were developed based on the low-order feedbacks. There must be a very good system for developing goals because in most cases this works out because the experiences in our life are relatively static, in terms of what is and is not possible. We have not grown up around the possibility of "experience machines." A newborn child would not have any goals developed yet, so it would simply try things and work on developing goals based on the innate positive/negative feedback. If it tried the experience machine, it would get (by definition) positive feedback, and it would then develop a higher order goal system oriented around that. In our developments we learned that in most cases, hard work pays off while shortcutting can result in bad side effects...and this gives rise to goals that bring out personality traits like stubbornness, pride, etc...and these could prevent a person from choosing the experience machine, regardless of how much verbal convincing you tried to do -- they cannot use logic to rearrange the higher order goals. However, the higher order goals can be changed over time by new experiences because they are constantly in a state of flux, so if a mature person was forced to use the experience machine for a long enough period of time (and by definition, the experience machine cannot result in any negative effects) then that person will undoubtedly become a proponent of the machine and choose to use it voluntarily once taken off.*

Or, in other words, people won't choose the experience machine because they are not conditioned to choose the experience machine. Right?

stuh505 wrote:
* Note: there is one caveat. Although the experience machine itself, by definiton, has no ill effects, being forced to do something will likely already be developed as a negative higher-order goal, so the initial hooking up to the device would give negative feedback to the person, which would delay the time it took for the person to become a proponent of the machine. Because some type of time-weighted average must be used to readjust goals, this delay would very likely never be infinite, although the time might very well be longer than a person's lifetime, resulting in them never liking the machine. But if they were immortal, then at some time, they would eventually like it.

Who said anything about forcing people to use the experience machine?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:54 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
That's very interesting FreeDuck.

I couple of months ago I watched this documentary about LSD. The interviews were with the original developers of the drug, and what their intents for it were.

Bottem line, all of them were disappointed that Timothy Leary got hold of it and turned it into something recreational in peoples minds.

The way they explained it, they saw that LSD had the potential to help some people, but it had to be done under STRICTLY CONTROLLED circumstances. It was not like, here, take a hit of acid and let's see what happens.

Of course it got in the hands of just about everybody, with no proper preparation or understanding of its potential.

hmmmm....

I'd be very interested to see that documentary. Maybe I should do some reading.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 01:48 pm
Freeduck, you know what was really strange and cool at the same time about this documentary?

The scientists/doctors that were all working on this back in the day are all like in their 80's and 90's now. As you listened to them it really hit you how they weren't these wild party animals, or even trying to be deviant from the mainstream.

Some were describing how they had taken it, and how profoundly it had influenced their lives since then. There seemed to be this consensus it had made them better people somehow, better scientists in how they looked at things. It's kinda hard to explain.

Because we know LSD as a dangerous substance because it's been in the wrong hands so long, listening to these sober, older men talk about it was strange. It was like listening to your great grandmother tell you about how "Oh dear yes, I was especially chosen to be the holy prostitute at the temple of Venus for 5 years when I was in my youth....it was such an honor my child."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 02:36 pm
Laughing

I am definitely going to have to find that documentary. Another interesting one, and it might be related to LSD (not sure) is mushrooms. I think, if you're looking, you can have a downright spiritual experience with those. I tried them only once and just felt like my mind had been opened to some things that it would never have been able to comprehend otherwise. One example, I kept saying to myself "I have no rules" while I was "under" and then burst out laughing as I realized that "I have no rules" is itself a rule, and the whole circularity (is that even a word?) of everything was just so obvious to me in that state. It's kind of hard to explain. Again, I know it's not for everyone, but it was really good for me. I would love to talk to one of those old men.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:11 pm
Bookmarking this very interesting thread.

See you soon.

KP
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:17 pm
I have a problem with the initial thesis, in that comparing MDMA ("Ecstacy") with anti-depressants is very much an apples to oranges comparison. The anti-depressants have been (or were supposed by law to have been) tested for side-effects. If any were present they were to have been reported to the professional who prescribes the drug, with warnings about other drug interactions, and were have met a threshhold for dangerous effects.

This does not apply to drugs such as MDMA. Even if one restricts the discussion to marijuana as opposed to other drugs, in that marijuana is an illegal drugs, the purchaser can have no knowledge of adulteration or of the relative delivery of the psycho-active chemical, whereas legal drugs are restricted as to "inert" ingredients and are to be sold in specified dosages.

Leaving aside issue of what is or is not good for the individual, drugs which are currently illegal are unregulated and uncontrolled, and the user has no knowledge of or means of learning about dosages and adulteration. On that basis alone, comparing street drugs to controlled substances is not a valid comparison.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:46 pm
Judging by your responses, I really don't think you get my drift at all. Maybe I explained badly, maybe I was too long winded, or maybe you didn't read it very carefully.

Quote:
I am equally adept at using a fork with my right hand as I am at using one with my left hand. To me, it makes no difference, as I can feed myself quite satisfactorily regardless of my choice. Yet I certainly do not pick up a fork with either hand unconsciously. So how is my choice conducive to my happiness?

I do not believe that you have to consciously think about which hand to use every time you sit down to eat! That's just ridiculous. When you sit down to eat you have better things to ponder, and you automatically reach for the fork with whatever hand you are most familiar with using, even if you are ambi.

Quote:
Then how do you know if you're right? If a person's higher-order motivations are unknown even to that person, how do you know what they are?

Because the principles my theory is deduced from are so basic that I don't see that there is any other plausible alternative.

Quote:
I can't imagine that my definition of "personal interests" is any more arbitrary than your definition of "personal happiness." Surely a person can judge what is in his or her own best interests just as easily as a person can judge what is most conducive to his or her own happiness.

Surely, not. What you suggest is, actually, completely impossible.

First of all, ask a person what makes them happy. They might say, my son, going skiing, my husband, cooking, Gray's Anatomy. You see, they really have no idea what the function is that controls happiness. They only know that certain inputs to the function result in their own happiness, by personal experienced. Furthermore, since we are so good at deducing things, we can often make some guesses about the function. We might be able to guess that "things where I can use my creativity" or "when I can help other people..." etc. This is about as 'deep' of an analysis that we can do. But these two are higher order things!!! At a basic level, what makes us happy is when a specific chemical reaction occurs. That's what makes us happy.

Given several options and asked to make a decision, a person cannot fully know exactly what chemical reactions are going to occur in their brain that might result in happiness or sadness. That problem is simply too complex. What we CAN do is make higher order guesses, we can tell that, for instance, it will be similar to something else that we liked or didn't like, and then we can guess what will make us more happy based on that. But it is simply impossible to actually know for sure which action will cause the most happiness, assuming the problem is even open -- which, of course, it is not -- there are infinite hidden variables.

[quote="stuh505"]But we must recognize that every decision that a person makes is based on the input data. Some of this input data comes from memory (past experiences), some of it is streaming. If we did not have a way of distinguishing good decisions from bad ones, we would have no need of a brain to make decisions because all decisions would be equally good.

Furthermore, these goals must have either been encoded into our brains genetically or acquired through life experience (the more likely, most common way). In order for the brain to determine goals from life experience it must rely on judging what had positive or negative feedback according to more basic innate goals. I believe that there is no other kind of happiness other than these basic innate positive/negative feedbacks. Therefore, since all possible goals that drive the brains' decisions were based on these feedbacks, it is straightforward to see that the brain's decisions at a low level merely attempt to satisfy the original positive feedbacks and minimize the negative feedbacks. (also, note that a decision making process is not instantaneous and is therefore subject to feedback cycles loops etc, which could result in a no-action without that being the desired choice)[/quote]
If you define "happiness" as "positive feedbacks," then you've pretty much admitted that you have no definition for "happiness," since your description of "positive feedbacks" is simply another way of saying "that which makes one happy." It's an empty tautology.

[quote="stuh505"]Anyway, back on point -- my view is that a person would not choose the experience machine because their experiences have "taught them" (eg, developed goals) that either give negative feedback for trying to take the easy way out, or positive feedback for the inverse. Our brains do not revert to the original positive/negative feedbacks when making complex decisions because this problem would be of nearly infinitely higher order complexity. Instead, the brain attempts to maximize the goals that were developed based on the low-order feedbacks. There must be a very good system for developing goals because in most cases this works out because the experiences in our life are relatively static, in terms of what is and is not possible. We have not grown up around the possibility of "experience machines." A newborn child would not have any goals developed yet, so it would simply try things and work on developing goals based on the innate positive/negative feedback. If it tried the experience machine, it would get (by definition) positive feedback, and it would then develop a higher order goal system oriented around that. In our developments we learned that in most cases, hard work pays off while shortcutting can result in bad side effects...and this gives rise to goals that bring out personality traits like stubbornness, pride, etc...and these could prevent a person from choosing the experience machine, regardless of how much verbal convincing you tried to do -- they cannot use logic to rearrange the higher order goals. However, the higher order goals can be changed over time by new experiences because they are constantly in a state of flux, so if a mature person was forced to use the experience machine for a long enough period of time (and by definition, the experience machine cannot result in any negative effects) then that person will undoubtedly become a proponent of the machine and choose to use it voluntarily once taken off.*[/quote]
Or, in other words, people won't choose the experience machine because they are not conditioned to choose the experience machine. Right?

[quote="stuh505"]* Note: there is one caveat. Although the experience machine itself, by definiton, has no ill effects, being forced to do something will likely already be developed as a negative higher-order goal, so the initial hooking up to the device would give negative feedback to the person, which would delay the time it took for the person to become a proponent of the machine. Because some type of time-weighted average must be used to readjust goals, this delay would very likely never be infinite, although the time might very well be longer than a person's lifetime, resulting in them never liking the machine. But if they were immortal, then at some time, they would eventually like it.[/quote]
Who said anything about forcing people to use the experience machine?[/quote]
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 09:40 am
stuh505 wrote:
Judging by your responses, I really don't think you get my drift at all. Maybe I explained badly, maybe I was too long winded, or maybe you didn't read it very carefully.

All are distinct possibilities.

stuh505 wrote:
I do not believe that you have to consciously think about which hand to use every time you sit down to eat! That's just ridiculous. When you sit down to eat you have better things to ponder, and you automatically reach for the fork with whatever hand you are most familiar with using, even if you are ambi.

The choice may be unremarkable, but it is definitely not unconscious. If it were, there would be no reason to expect that I would reach for a fork rather than a knife or a salt shaker or the cat.

stuh505 wrote:
Quote:

Because the principles my theory is deduced from are so basic that I don't see that there is any other plausible alternative.

It may be obvious to you, but why should it be obvious to me?

stuh505 wrote:
Surely, not. What you suggest is, actually, completely impossible.

First of all, ask a person what makes them happy. They might say, my son, going skiing, my husband, cooking, Gray's Anatomy. You see, they really have no idea what the function is that controls happiness. They only know that certain inputs to the function result in their own happiness, by personal experienced.

Why is it necessary to understand the function served by happiness in order to understand happiness? Aren't they distinct from each other?

stuh505 wrote:
Furthermore, since we are so good at deducing things, we can often make some guesses about the function. We might be able to guess that "things where I can use my creativity" or "when I can help other people..." etc. This is about as 'deep' of an analysis that we can do. But these two are higher order things!!! At a basic level, what makes us happy is when a specific chemical reaction occurs. That's what makes us happy.

Are you saying that the underlying chemical process is "happiness?" If that's the case, what are the feelings or experiences that we commonly call "happiness?"

stuh505 wrote:
Given several options and asked to make a decision, a person cannot fully know exactly what chemical reactions are going to occur in their brain that might result in happiness or sadness. That problem is simply too complex. What we CAN do is make higher order guesses, we can tell that, for instance, it will be similar to something else that we liked or didn't like, and then we can guess what will make us more happy based on that. But it is simply impossible to actually know for sure which action will cause the most happiness, assuming the problem is even open -- which, of course, it is not -- there are infinite hidden variables.

Why should any of that matter? If I feel sick, I don't need to know the intricacies of the biological processes that cause that feeling. Indeed, the feeling of sickness and the biological processes are two entirely different things. Someone with a psychosomatic illness can even have the feeling without having the underlying illness. Does that mean that person isn't feeling sick? In the same way, I might not understand the underlying physical or mental processes that may cause happiness, but that doesn't mean that I'm not capable of feeling happy.

stuh505 wrote:
stuh505 wrote:

stuh505 wrote:

stuh505 wrote:

Who said anything about forcing people to use the experience machine?

Any chance of answering these questions?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 12:22 pm
I can hardly think of a thesis more divorced from reality than that people take drugs because it makes them happy. Although it may be true that some people, on some occasions upon which they take drugs, experience feelings which they are willing to subjectively describe as happiness, that does not assure that they will experience feelings which they are willing to subjectively describe as happiness on every occasion upon which they take drugs.

Drug addicts of many descriptions take drugs because of sensations of physical deprivation which they experience if they fail to take the drug of choice. It is quite common for street alcoholics to describe themselves as being "sick"--taking the drug is a means of avoiding the experience of what they would subjectively describe as sickness, or another description of an unpleasant condition. Heroine and alcohol addicts not only experience what they describe as sickness if they cannot get their drug of choice, they even suffer pain and cramping and hallucinations which they (of their own report) find umpleasant.

People may begin to use drugs, and decide upon a drug of choice because they enjoy the sensations which they associate with the drug. It is not, however, axiomatic that all drug users always use drugs because it "makes them happy." In fact, in my anecdotal experience of drug abusers (which is broad and of long-standing), drug users experience anxiety and "sickness" if they don't get their drug of choice. The maintenance of a drug addiction does not guarantee happiness either--alcohol, heroine, cocaine and nicotine can destroy the user.

I consider your thesis simple-minded and simplistic, and without merit. I suggest you haven't given careful thought to your thesis.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 01:41 pm
The difference between the two instances in the first post is that one has been assessed and certified by a trained doctor, who has the authority to do so and knows the exact content of the drug as well as it's effects. He/She knows the exact dosage which will have the most effect without harming the person. Also, recreational drugs can have effects on the brain which can make driving dangerous, while most medicinal drugs don't AND even if they did the doctor can charge the user not to drive and make it clear to them, face-to-face the possible outcome if the user did drive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 03:41 pm
Re: Taking drugs
stuh505 wrote:
Is there any difference between taking a drug like marijuana or ecstacy vs antidepressants, legal issues aside? It seems to me that they are both categories of drugs taken for the sole purpose of increasing happiness.

Legal issues aside, the strength of the dosage of illegal drugs is unknown, and therefore the effect is unpredictable. One assumes that someone using a prescription drug is using it at prescribed dosage. Where that is not true, the possibility is strong that they are using a controlled substance illegally.

Quite apart from that, drugs passed by the FDA have known side effects, and the danger to the user from those side effects, or the consequences of taking a prescription drug in conjunction with other medications are known--or ought to be, if the physician prescribing is doing his or her job properly. The same cannot be said of illegal drugs, which will inevitably be of an unknown dosage, and may well be adulterated with a dangerous substance. Not being prescribed by a physician, the user cannot know of the possible negative side effects which will arise from use of the illegal drug at the same time that a legal, prescribed drug is used; and of course, the use of alcohol can have a profound influence on one's experience of a drug, whether illegal or prescribed. The user may well also be ignorant of dangerous side effects of the drug when used alone, without other drugs.

Which leads to a final consideration--illegal drugs can be very dangerous when used alone, even when used infrequently. This can arise from the unreliable nature of the production of the drug, and it can arise from the very nature of the drug. Heroine users who use the drug intravenously can be killed if they are accustomed to a dosage from heroine which has been heavily "stepped-on" (adulterated with inert ingredients), and then get their hands on largely "un-adulterated" heroine. Users of MDMA (ecstacy) and methamphetamine are subject to do serious damage to their nervous systems even from the casual occasional use of the drug, because they do not know the dosage and the nature of any adulterants. Finally, MDMA can do serious damage to the nervous system to casual users even when the dosage is not unusually high, and when there are no dangerous, inert adulerents present.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 09:11 pm
You do understand that virtually all drugs started out with medicinal purposes?

You also understand that many medicines, taken in larger quantities, become poisons?

Quote:
Is there any difference between taking a drug like marijuana or ecstacy vs antidepressants, legal issues aside? It seems to me that they are both categories of drugs taken for the sole purpose of increasing happiness
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 02:00 am
drugs are like high maintenance pussy. Absolutely wonderful IF you can afford to indulge without having the indulgence negatively effect your regular life.

If you can't afford to maintain your regular life and drugs at the same time then decide which is more important to you, make your choice and live with it.

I love drugs. I love getting high. I did it for years. I love squinney and my cubs more so I quit.

what's the problem?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:05 pm
Setanta, you completely misunderstood my thesis (wait, I don't think I even made a thesis...). I was not talking about real drugs which cause physical changes and dependencies in people. I was talking about a hypothetical non-existant drug that could never cause dependency or result in any health risks whatsoever -- and then discussing, if such a drug existed, why not take it?

In this hypothetical situation, the answer is no longer so obvious.

Oh, and thank you for your perspective Bear.
0 Replies