Rainsoft brine tank dry

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm
I'm using a Rainsoft softener that came with the house I bought 5 years ago. The system has been running well up till the last month. The system now does not refill the brine tank with water and the treated water is salty. I do not know the model number for the system. These numbers are on the resin tank: BT-744-8 and 047748. The brine tank is separate from the resin tank.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 937 • Replies: 7
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 02:41 pm
The numbers you posted tell me it is a small 7 x 44 resin tank with an obsolete brass 8-cycle valve.
All rubber parts (O-rings and tabs) should be replaced and the index lever and anti backlash pawl may need to be replaced.

RainSoft dealers are not allowed to work on these, they are instructed to replace then with the bastardized Fleck valve they now use.
Avoid this valve, the 2510 SE is vastly superior to what RainSoft uses.

If you were in my service area I could get your system working again quick.

HTH ~
0 Replies

dmikulec

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 04:03 pm
Thanks for the prompt response. I'm flying blind here, not having disassembled one of these before. I take it that I have to by-pass the water and disconnect everything. Then, unscrew the control valve assy from the resin tank and break it appart. Are there any thricky things I should watch out for?
0 Replies

dmikulec

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:03 pm
Thanks for the prompt response. I'm flying blind here, not having disassembled one of these before. I take it that I have to by-pass the water and disconnect everything. Then, unscrew the control valve assy from the resin tank and break it appart. Are there any thricky things I should watch out for?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:25 pm
Both you and es4245 have valves that could be repaired if you could find someone with factory training, tools and parts.
It's a shame RainSoft won't service what they sold.

The repair on your valve is complicated and you will needs new parts.

Do you live near Georgia?
0 Replies

dmikulec

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:51 pm
No, I live in Michigan. There's a dealer 15 miles away who must be closed this weekend; they have not responded to my message. Is there a URL for a schematic of the valve? Are the O-rings SAE or proprietary? Is the dealer likely to have them? You mentioned that the valve will take special tools. Is that for resurfacing the valve seat?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:05 pm
We do seem to have an unusal amount of newcomers with water treatment problems around here!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:40 pm
dmikulec wrote:
No, I live in Michigan. There's a dealer 15 miles away who must be closed this weekend; they have not responded to my message. Is there a URL for a schematic of the valve? Are the O-rings SAE or proprietary? Is the dealer likely to have them? You mentioned that the valve will take special tools. Is that for resurfacing the valve seat?

I have read that some were able to match up the O rings at LOWES.
The special tool is used to unscrew the piston cap. You can do it without
the tool, but you risk cracking the cap.

Remove the tri guard, pull the motor, remove the cam discs, unscrew the piston cap and pull the piston.
Replace the 3 piston O rings, lube and reinstall everything in reverse order.

I have not seen an online schematic of the valve.

Give your local dealer a call Monday, you may get lucky.
0 Replies