Damn Dirty Wallpaper

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 01:40 pm
I have just started the messy process of removing old wallpaper.
It Sucks!
My question is. Which is better for removing wallpaper chemical spray or steaming?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,892 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 02:28 pm
I'd think it would depend on the glue. I have seen steaming work quite well.

But then again I'm the guy who's willing to just paint over it. :-)

Welcome to the site.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 02:38 pm
Welcome!

I've had good luck with domestic steaming. Put a pan of water on a hot plate in the room you choose to scrape and boil away--then scrape once for the paper and once for the major part of the glue.

I'd dodge the chemical stuff. It may remove the wallpaper but what will it do to your lungs?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 03:00 pm
Ditto on the chemicals. Don't use 'em if you can avoid it.

I've never done wallpaper, but I've done a fair amount of paper-backed vinyl flooring. Direct heat has helped immensely -- crank up the heat in the house for a day before, do the steam thing noddy suggested (I've used pans of hot water resting directly on the floor, but obviously this wouldn't work on a wall)., have even used an iron (with a towel between the iron and the floor). I was surprised at first just how much the heat made the adhesive easier to remove.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:28 am
Spray with hot water; the wallpaper will come off. I also like Noddy's idea of a pan of hot water - you'll probably do better if you try both.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:35 am
Or do what I do....

Call the decorators with their army of good looking men Wink

Seriously, I tried it once and I just could not do it. My decorator has this big sorta vaccum cleaner like thingie - which generates steam - and he just peels it off !! Like a banana !!

Maybe you can try to see if this is available on hire. The home store near my house does give out this machine on hire - but then I am in London - no clue abt where u are !
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:43 am
I've helped friends who rented those giant steamer machines. Not too bad, as long as you don't think you're going to be clean at the end of the job.
0 Replies

Punkfarter

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 12:46 pm
Rockin! Thanks for the advice from everyone. I think I will rent a steamer from Home Depot or Lowes and give it a try.
0 Replies

annetta

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:41 pm
panel glue behind wallpaper?
Hi

I just removed a large strip of vynil wallpaper and it seems that there is panel glue behind it. It actually looks pretty neat (like alagator skin) and i,m thinking of painting or glazing over it. Any ideas?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:51 pm
Punkfarter, it does all depend on the wallpaper. Ive done a few of the horrors and each one reacts differently. Really the age of the wallpaper, the amount of layers, the glue used and the original treatment all make a difference.
Despite what you think about the chemicals there is some non toxic great enzime stuff that if you score the paper, heat the enzime water mix, soak the paper, and let stand...its much less work and mess.
Let me see if I can find out what that stuff was and give ya a link.
It doesnt hurt however to have a steamer as well, sometimes, like I said, it depends...and areas of wallpaper can be different also.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:01 pm
Dif Wallpaper Stripper Gel Gal by Zinsser

The ready-mixed, non-drip blue gel clings to surfaces. Advanced GEL/Enzyme formulation works quickly. Safe to use, non-toxic, water-based. Easy to apply by brush or roller. Clings to vertical surfaces.

Look for that at Home Depot or Lowes...and good luck.

annetta...Hi..Welcome to a2K! You too Punkfarter Smile

Id say prime over it and paint/glaze..if you like the texture, why not?
Certainly easier than trying to rid yourself of it.
0 Replies