What is your favorite Thanksgiving mashed potato?

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:13 am
My other favourite is a French dish, which I just call "a third of each".

Ingredients
Equal quantities of Potato, Celeriac and Carrot, to nearly fill a reasonably large saucepan.

1 peeled garlic clove (or 2+, if you really like garlic)

Method
Peel and cut veggies into cubes (not too small)

Stick Celeriac and carrot in large saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil.

Simmer for five minutes or so, before chucking in the potato.

Add garlic, and carry on boiling, as you would with ordinary potatoes, until soft enough to mash.

Drain, mash (adding single "thin" cream, and pepper if desired).

Serve.

Scoff.

Fall asleep in chair.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:23 am
luckily , we can celebrate thanksgiving twice , first the "canadian' and now "the other" Laughing .
right now there is big pot of : red skinned potatoes , sweet potatoes , yams and two different kinds of squash on the stove .
into it will go : sour cream , sweet butter , salt , pepper and a dash of nutmeg .
there'll be enough for three or four days .
yummy !
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:33 pm
Here's a recipe I have to try - possibly with some additions of my own:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/stiltononionandpotat_80543.shtml

Stilton, onion and potato pie
by Nigel Slater
from The Kitchen Diaries

Serves 6

Preparation time less than 30 mins

Cooking time 1 to 2 hours

Ingredients
1.5kg/3lb 5oz floury potatoes, quartered
salt
4 medium onions, halved and cut into 5 or 6 segments
80g/3oz butter
150ml/5fl oz milk
freshly ground black pepper
225g/8oz Stilton
25g/1oz grated parmesan

Method
Put a large pan of water on to boil. Peel the potatoes and cut them into halves or quarters, then add them to the boiling water. When it comes back to the boil, add a little salt and turn down to a lively simmer. Check the potatoes now and again; they should be tender in fifteen minutes or so.
Whilst the potatoes cook, peel the onions and cut them in half, then cut each into five or six segments. Put them into a heavy-based frying pan with 40g of the butter and let them cook over a moderate to low heat, stirring from time to time. They will need twenty to twenty-five minutes to become thoroughly soft and sticky.
Bring the milk to the boil and turn off the heat. Drain the potatoes, then tip them into the bowl of a food mixer fitted with a beater attachment. Mix as you slowly add the milk and the remaining butter. Beat to a smooth mash, stopping well before it becomes gluey.
Set the oven at 200C/400F/Gas 6. Butter the base and sides of a heavy 28cm/11in frying pan with a metal handle or a similar diameter baking dish - I use a black, cast-iron frying pan. Spoon in half the mashed potato, smooth the potato a little, then add the onions and a grinding of black pepper. Crumble the Stilton over the onions. Pile the rest of the mashed potato over the top and smooth lightly with the back of the spoon or a rubber spatula.
Dust over the grated Parmesan, then bake for twenty-five to thirty minutes, by which time the top will be pale gold and the filling will be bubbling up around the edges.

Notice, if you will, the clever usage of a rubber spatula, Lord Ellpus.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:49 pm
i forget to mention that a good chunk of three-year old canadian cheddar also goes into the pot - gives it a nice sweet tang .
hbg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:01 pm
Ellpus
Ellpus, a recipe I found looks to be similar to yours except no garlic:

Celery Root and Potato Purée
Pronounced: pu reh / duh / seh luh ree / kreh meh

Recipe courtesy of Françoise Meunier, Cours de Cuisine, Paris

INGREDIENTS:
1 celery root (celeriac)
1 lemon
1 potato
2-1/2 to 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons crème fraiche or cottage cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper

PREPARATION:
Cut the celery root in half. Place the halves cut side down on a cutting board and peel them. Cut the root into pieces, roughly all the same size.

Put the celery root in a large saucepan. Peel the potato and cut it into about the same size pieces as the celery root. Add them to the pan and cover with cold water. Add some sea salt and squeeze in the juice of half of the lemon. This prevents the celery root from getting brown.

Bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes. The celery root is done with it is easily pierced with a knife.

Drain in a colander. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and mash with a forch. Season with salt and pepper and add 2 tablespoons of the butter. Mix well. Add the crème fraiche. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more butter, salt or pepper as needed.
0 Replies

luvr29

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:30 am
Dijon Garlic Mash
Dijon Garlic Mashed Potatoes

These potatoes are light and have a great flavor, to boot.

2 pounds potatoes, cubed and peeled

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 medium onion, chopped

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1/4 cup (or ½ a stick) margarine or butter, melted

1/4 to ½ cup of milk

1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Cook the onion, potatoes and garlic in boiling water in a large, covered pan until the potatoes become tender and you can easily prick them with a fork. Drain these ingredients.

Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat this potato mixture until it is mashed. Slowly beat in the Dijon mustard, butter and milk (only use as much milk as necessary) to make the potatoes turn smooth. Once mixed, stir in the parsley.

for more delicious recipes:
EDIT: MODERATOR: DO NOT POST YOUR LINKS HERE
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 09:49 am
luvr29
luvr29, welcome to A2K. We have lots of good cooks here.

Your recipe looks like one I would try. Thanks.

BBB
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 04:51 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Serve.

Scoff.

Fall asleep in chair.

Laughing You managed to express the experience of x-mas on the french side of my fam perfectly.

Except, the women serve wash dishes drink wine.
Men, scoff and watch racing/go snowmobiling and fall asleep in chair.

Taters? I like 'em every which way except with marshmallows or any other sweetness to 'em.

Red taters mashed with cream and salt and pepper, butter, garlic.

Don't like those nasty white ones. Too dry, except for frying.

Love love love yams. I make a half tater half yam mush, myself. Mister likes plain taters - works fine, now for Xmas, as there are <looking> vegetarians in our mist.
0 Replies