Watersofteners How often you change the activated carbon?

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:27 pm
How often does the activated carbon needs to be changed in water softener systems? From what i was told is that they need to be replaced every 3-5 years and the price range is between $400-$600. Is that true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,865 • Replies: 4
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 09:01 pm
Re: Watersofteners How often you change the activated carbon
WaterRefiner wrote:
How often does the activated carbon needs to be changed in water softener systems?
From what i was told is that they need to be replaced every 3-5 years and the price range is between $400-$600.

Is that true?

If the Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) is inside your water softener it is only replaced if your resin fails.

If you have a separate GAC filter tank it is best to rebed every 36 months.
If your GAC is part of a Chlorination injection system, rebed every 24 months.

The price you noted is higher than I charge for a standard 36 month rebed.
The cost of doing business in your area could be higher.

H2O MAN
0 Replies

WaterRefiner

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:58 pm
Thanks H2oMan,

I didn't know there were more than one type of Activated Carbon. I have a little understanding of how water softeners work and all, but I don't know all the components needed and each of there special functions to make a water softener work. Would you know where I can find out more about the basics of water softener parts and their functions?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 06:39 am
WaterRefiner wrote:
Thanks H2oMan,
Would you know where I can find out more about the basics of water softener parts and their functions?

Google, Google and Google.

You can also email me with questions Cool
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 07:42 am
First, is the GAC there to handle odors, VOCs and other elements for well water or dechlorination for city water?

From you explanation, the carbon and resins are mixed in the same tank, right?

If that is the case, then chaces are the resin may have been flushed out before their lifespan is up.

GAC and softener resins have practically the same specific gravity and mix when going into backwash. So, if they if it is used to change chlorine gas to chlorides, preserving the integrity of the resin destruction from the chlorine it will lose its effectiveness in a relatively short time.

If you use it for hard water odor, the mixing of the resins and carbon still have some effectiveness. You may want to sanitize the resins once in a while to assure that microorganisms don't colonize on the carbon.

I would use carbon separately from resins, if possible....

There a few types of GACs. One of the most effective is that made from coconut shell. But do research as different types work more or less effectively with different water conditions.

Andy
0 Replies