roof rust

glyn

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 01:22 am
i have a landcruiser with spots of rust on the roof, some small which i could just about polish out, but the others have been left to long and they look like they are starting to bubble.
any suggestions on fixing this myself.
can i just sand it back and prime and paint or do i need to fill it with putty or take it somewhere ?

i would like to have a go myself though, save some $s
thanks in advance for your help
Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 758 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 01:37 am
Sand it. Clean it with one of the prep solvents designed for paint work. You can find it at most automotive stores. Those automotive spray cans work pretty well. Don't skimp on the primer, especially as when you sand the primer around corners or sharp edges, it is really easy to cut through the paint and into bare metal. Don't use a top coat on unprimed metal.

How's the weather? You won't get much of a paint job in cold weather, nor in a dusty shop. And what's the value of the vehicle? All the sanding, cleaning, and masking is quite a chore, and a good professional will come up with a longer lasting job, but good work can get expensive.
0 Replies

glyn

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 02:14 am
thanks roger
thats what i need to know

...so do you think if i had to put putty in it (and started pretty early)
that i could sand, clean, putty and paint the first coat at least in 1 day?
glyn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 09:59 pm
@glyn,
$1400 all gone plus respray plus rims plus oiled the underneath
roger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:21 pm
@glyn,
Sounds fair, for a good professional job on the roof. Hope the car is worth it.
0 Replies