In the End I’m Saved and You’re Not?

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 05:54 pm
In the End I'm Saved and You're Not?
From carefully listening and examining, One can not help but to notice all of the contradictions and holes which are found in the current popular doctrine on Salvation. So, we are hoping that if One asks the correct questions, maybe the resident learned men, pastors, preachers, deacons, shepherds, etc.. will be able to clarify these contradictions and fill up these holes.

Now, from what One has observed, the popular theme which has been floating around for quite some time, is that Works is not a determining factor in the distribution of Salvation. In other words, Works play's no role in whether one receives Salvation or not. Instead, Salvation is solely based or determined by God's Grace. And if it is solely based or determined by God's Grace, then it is at his sole discretion. So now this brings us to our first question:

If God's Grace or Discretion is the sole determining factor in the quest for Salvation, how do you know that you are saved and someone else is not? In other word's, how did some of the individuals who are amongst us, gain access to the Mind of God? And while in that Mind, how did they find their name on that discretionary list for Salvation?

Lamentations 3:26 [It is] good that [a man] should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

1 Thessalonians 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,431 • Replies: 41
No top replies

tomasso

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 11:47 pm
Mindonfire,

I don't believe you can state your question so simply.
Only God can read your heart. No other human can truly know
who is saved and who is not, there are just certain signs to go
by, but no one can truly know another person's heart.

For example, it's true, there are hypocrites in church, I don't
think there are many Christians who deny that, but in the end
it will be God who sorts out the wheat from the chaff.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 11:59 pm
tomasso wrote:
Mindonfire,

Only God can read your heart. No other human can truly know

Exactly.

Similarly to the hypocrites that wanted to kill Jesus (PBUH). He said: "Who are my followers and believers in God" they replied: "We are." But deep inside they were planning to kill him, and that's why God raised him up to Him untill he will send him back before the Day of Judgement. Only God knows the true faith you have within you and everyone will get what they deserve.

That's why we as people shouldn't judge other people's faith - leave that up to God.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 12:13 am
Raul-7 wrote:
That's why we as people shouldn't judge other people's faith - leave that up to God.

Exactly.

That's why we shouldn't chop anyone's hands off or stone anyone to death.
Instead, you should work on removing the plank from your own eye.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 12:41 am
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

Exactly.

These punishments are decreed from God to protect the religion, life, intellect, offspring and property of every single person. It helps purify and improve society. How many times did I explain this to you? I thought you actually bothered to read what I posted? How can you question God when He created us, surely He knows what we do not. Stop judging God's punishments.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 12:57 am
Raul-7 wrote:
These punishments are decreed from God to protect the religion, life, intellect, offspring and property of every single person. It helps purify and improve society. How many times did I explain this to you? I thought you actually bothered to read what I posted? How can you question God when He created us, surely He knows what we do not. Stop judging God's punishments.

These punishments are not decreed from God. At best, they are misinterpretations, and at worst, they are lies. What bothers me is that you choose to ignore reasonable explanations, such as these, in favor of one that requires you to commit the most terrible acts of violence. And on top of that, you do it in the name of your god. I cannot express to you how disturbing that is to me.
Having said all of that, I am still grateful to have this opportunity to communicate with you and, hopefully, get to better understand your thoughts and beliefs.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 01:14 am
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

These punishments are not decreed from God. At best, they are misinterpretations, and at worst, they are lies. What bothers me is that you choose to ignore reasonable explanations, such as these, in favor of one that requires you to commit the most terrible acts of violence. And on top of that, you do it in the name of your god. I cannot express to you how disturbing that is to me.
Having said all of that, I am still grateful to have this opportunity to communicate with you and, hopefully, get to better understand your thoughts and beliefs.

They are decreed from God. I already showed you the verses relating to stoning the adulter and adulteress.

Someone already asked this question before and here is an honest answer from a Muslim who knows far better than I do.

Quote:
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 12:22 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

They are decreed from God. I already showed you the verses relating to stoning the adulter and adulteress.
You did, and neither are those verses decreed from God. Why do you think they are? Who told you?

Quote:
Someone already asked this question before and here is an honest answer from a Muslim who knows far better than I do.
Quote:
... Without refuting the fact that Islamic punishments are indeed very severe and harsh, two things may perhaps help you in understanding the nature and logic of this severity:
The first thing that needs to be kept in mind is that if one reflects on the style and linguistic constructions in which these punishments are mentioned in the Qur'an, it comes to light that these punishments are extreme forms of reproof. They are to be given only and only if the extent of the crime and the state of the person who has committed the crime deserve no leniency. In other words, the fact that whether a person has committed a particular crime or not is not the only factor to be ascertained by the court
Who is the judge in this court? Is he a human being or a god? Why do you believe a person should be the judge of another person?
Quote:
... The second important thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that the purpose of most Islamic punishments is not merely to punish the criminal, but to make his punishment an act of deterrence for any further instance of the crime.
In other words, he is punished not only for the crime that he commits, but also for other crimes in which he never participated. This is not the mark of a just society. Do you want to live in a world that is governed by fear? This is not the only way. Judging by the conditions in the Islamic world it is clearly not the best way.
Quote:
Everyone would agree that peace and security of a society occupy fundamental importance if it is to develop and prosper. ... In order to cleanse a society from crime as much as possible, Islam wants to make an example of people who create nuisance in the society and disrupt its peace and tranquillity. Consequently, the punishments it prescribes are instrumental in bringing peace and security to a society as far as possible.
FEAR is not the path to PEACE.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:32 pm
tomasso wrote:
Mindonfire,

Only God can read your heart.

Is that right? How do you know that someone loves you?

tomasso wrote:
No other human can truly know

True and False. No one truly knows who is saved. But yet, every Christian that you meet will tell you that they are saved and going to heaven. It is false that you state, "no one can truly know another person's heart." If that is the case then you are not able to know when someone loves or hates you?

tomasso wrote:

HOW?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:34 pm
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

Exactly.

So, let's do away with all punishments. Is this what you are proposing?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:42 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

Exactly.

So, let's do away with all punishments. Is this what you are proposing?

A thief should be made to repay what he stole.
A violent offender should be separated from other people.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:37 pm
echi wrote:
You did, and neither are those verses decreed from God. Why do you think they are? Who told you?

Yes, I did. In the thread where I even asked you if you actually read anything I post. Apparently not. These verses are decreed from God, if you wan't to debate about the authanticity of the Quran then gladly I will. God vowed that it wouldn't change untill the Day of Judgement and thank God it has stood that way since the day it was brought down.

Do they say, "Who has invented it?" Say: "Then produce a sura(chapter) like it and call on anyone you can besides Allah if you are telling the truth." (Surah Yunus: 38)

Quote:
Who is the judge in this court? Is he a human being or a god? Why do you believe a person should be the judge of another person?

Judge is human. He should be fair and unbiased.

Quote:
FEAR is not the path to PEACE.

There are two parts. First, is through moral teaching. Second, is with severe punishment. Similarly to the law in today's society. Except it seems, as always, mankind fails to find a solution to this problem. America is the perfect example, one of the best law enforcements and yet the highest crime rates in the world. Either no one has morals there or the punishments are too lienient. Fear is the path to peace. If people actually had a fear of God they would know he that he infact sees and hears everything they do and thus would not resort to murder or theft. Fear keeps people in line.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:07 pm
Sure, let's debate it then. You claim these verses (and perhaps the entire Quran) are decreed by God. Prove it.

Quote:
Yes, but who judges the judge? Ultimately, each person must arrive at his/her own truth.

Quote:
Fear is the path to peace. If people actually had a fear of God they would know he that he infact sees and hears everything they do and thus would not resort to murder or theft. Fear keeps people in line.
Do you love God?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:14 pm
I suppose fear could be a path to peace, or more accurately as far as I'm concerned non-violence/anger etc (i.e. the lack of a negative rather than the presence of a positive (peace)). What a fragile "peace" that'd be though.

If it is though, it's a poor man's path as I see it, akin to memorising a text or a set of formulae for an exam as opposed to learning and understanding the material. One is a short term solution to a very fixed and rigid problem, the other is a long term solution that can hopefully be applied much more broadly in the future, it's flexible. I know which one I'd rather aline myself with and which one would involve more fear. I think fear divides, peace must find it's source in unity.

I'm not one for believing in a personal god of sorts but if I did, this idea of fear, if I'm applying it correctly, would seem to separate the individual from god, creating a division between the ruler and the rulee, the teacher and the learner. Whether such divisions exist or are helpful is irrelevant as I see it, I just wouldn't want such divisions to form the basis of my belief, I think the ultimate relationship of this type truly involves the possibility of the student becoming the "master". There's no one-upmanship here of course, it'd simply be the idea of learning and progress that would be to the mutual benefit of everyone.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:25 pm
echi wrote:
Sure, let's debate it then. You claim these verses (and perhaps the entire Quran) are decreed by God. Prove it.

Here's a post made by someone who basically sums it up for you. I know you're probably going to just ignore most of it just like you did with all my other posts. But at least I tried and I hope that maybe God will guide you.

Chabichou wrote:

As far as I know, there are three scriptures which have been said to be the direct word of God: the Torah, the Gospel and the Quran. However, all of us agree that the Torah and the Gospel have been changed time and time again. No two Bibles are alike.

What about the Quran? The Quran states that it is the last scripture to be sent down from God, and the God has take it upon himself to preserve it. It is true that the Quran has remained completely unchanged for over 1400 years, since the time of it's revelation. Not a single word, nor a single letter has been changed.

Cristians believe in the Torah, they believe that it was sent down by God, but they follow the Gospel because it is the most "revised" message so far. Is it not possible that yet another book would come after the Gospel? I don't that is is stated anywhere in the Gospel that no more books will proceed it.

Jesus was an Israelite/Jew right? At that time, his people were following the teachings of the Torah, but the Torah's message has been altered, and the jewish rabbis of the time were taking advantage of people using religion. Jesus comes along with his miracles and a new book. Many people start to follow Jesus' teachings. It's not like they converted or anything. They simply knew that God has sent them another prophet (or as Christians believe, his Son) down with a new book, which corrected the mistakes in the altered Torah.

Now let's take a look the the last scripture, the Quran. There is no "proof" that it is the word of God, and there is no "proof" either for the other two scriptures. But, let's take a look at the facts shall we?

First of all, the prophet Abraham had two sons: Ishmael and Isaac. Ishmael became the "father" of the Arabs, and Isaac became the "father" of the Israelites/Jews. Jesus (peace be upon him) is therefore and decendant of Isaac, and Muhammad (peace be upon him) is a decendant of Ishmael. The Arabs never had a book sent down to them like the Jews, but they still believed in God and followed the teachings of Ishmael. However, they strayed far from the right path over time. They began to engage in idol worshipping, alchohol consumption, gambling, and just about everything that went against the teachings of Ishmael. They treated their women next to animals, and even buried their daughters alive since they preferred boys. There were some Arabs, at the time as well who were Christian, meaning they believed that Jesus was the son of God (from the Islamic point of view they were following the altered Gospel).

Muhammad was born into this disgusting Arab society. Growing up, he was highly respected because he was very honest and trustworthy, and was very good at solving social disputes.

He knew there was something terribly wrong with his society's culture and religion. The Arabs would have all sorts of festivals which involved idol worshipping and alcohol consumption, but Muhammad steered clear of these habits. He often went aone to a cave in Mount Hira, to worship God and ponder about the point of his existence.

Here is his story: One day while he was up in the cave, an angel (Gabriel) came to him. Muhammad was completely terrified. No, angels do not look like beautiful human beings with wings and halos. All we know is this: They have wings, how many we're not sure, but Gabriel specifically has 300 pairs of wings. Angels are huge, and they are terrifying in their true form, at least in a human's point of view.

Anyway, Gabiriel gives Muhammad a command: "Recite,", he says. Muhammad, being illiterate answers: "I am not a reciter." The angel embraces Muhammad with a rip-cracking hug and repeats the command: "Recite," he says. Again Muhammad answers, "I am not a reciter". Gabriel repeats the embrace, asking Muhammad to repeat after him and said: "Recite in the name of your Lord who created! He created man from that which clings. Recite; and thy Lord is most Bountiful, He who has taught by the pen, taught man what he knew not."

Muhammad, still terrified, repeats what the angel said and runs out of the cave. But the Gabriel follows him out of the cave. Muhamad can't even bear to look at the angel, so one can imagine how frightening Gabriel was. Muhammad turns his head to look away, but everywhere he looked, there was Gabriel. Can you even imagine something like that? When Gabriel spreads his wings, he is so Gigantic his form fills the entire sky. Then Gabriel tells Muhammad that he is the prophet of God, and that he is to carry out the God's message to mankind: The Quran.

Okay, so Muhammad (phuh) runs home to his wife Khadija and asks her to cover him (he is still scared of course). She comforts him and he tells her what happened. She calls over a cousin of hers who was Christian. Her cousin hears Muhammad out and confirms that he is indeed a prophet.

The Angel Gabriel visited the Muhammad many times over a period of twenty-three years. Gabriel taught Muhammad the verses, and Muhammad, being illiterate was to memmorize them. He then repeated the verses he was taught to his companions and scribes to record on paper.

But wait a second! What if Muhammad wasn't telling the truth? What if the Quran was not the word of God?

Let's examine this question. The Quran is in Arabic, so only someone who knew Arabic well could have possibly written it. Therefore, there are only 3 possibilities of who could have possibly written it: The Arabs in general, Muhammad, or God.

When looking at the first possibility, one can already have many doubts that it was the Arabs who wrote the Quran. The Quran went against just about every aspect of their lifesyle! The Quran forbids Idol worshipping, but the Arabs loved their Idol gods and were constantly worshipping them and offering sacrifices. The Quran forbid alcohol consumption, but they Arabs freely consumed alcohol. The Quran fobid the maltreatment of women. It said to be kind to women, to treat them as human beings, and it gave women political, economical, and social rights as well. But the Arabs, as I have already said, treated women next to animals. Why would the Arabs write something that goes completely against their socity's ideals? Wouldn't they rather write something that encouraged their lifestyle?

Okay, so that rules out the possibility of the Arabs writing it, so lets look at the second possibility shall we? Could Muhammad have written the Quran?

First I would like to mention this: The Arabic language had reached its peak when it comes to grammar, vocabulary, and poetic expression in the 6th century, during Muhammad's lifetime. Poetry was something highly valued and there were many highly respected poets at the time.

When other poets read the Quran, they were completely baffled by its style and poetic qualities. It was something completely out of this world. But some people just assumed that Muhammad was a poet, and that he was very good with words. But Muhammad was illiterate! It doesn't mean he was stupid, but he would not have they ability to express himself the way the Quran was expressed.

But even if Muhammad was able to express himself so beautifully consider this: The Quran was revealed bit by bit over a period of 23 years, and never did a single aspect of its style change! How could any human keep the exact style of speech for 23 years?

Furthermore, Muslims follow the sayings of the prophet (the hadith) in addition to the Quran. Muhammad expressed his teachings in his own words, which had a completely different style than the Quran. How could a human maintain two completely different styles of speech for 23 years?

But that gives us yet another small possibility: Maybe another individual Arab wrote the Quran, and that person also didn't agree with the pagan Arab culture.

However, the Quran has no author. Anyone who writes a book would put their name on it, but their is no name on the Quran. Furthermore, Muhammad was the only person to ever teach the Quran. He always knew the verses before anyone else.

The Quran also contained many of the same stories found in the Bible and Torah, but Muhammad had never heard of these stories himself! How could he have known? Cristians and Jews from other lands would come to Makkah and ask Muhammad to answer questions that none of the Arabs would have known. But the answer always came, and in the form of Quranic verses.

I'd say that there's enough evidence here that show the Quran is indeed the word of God.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:06 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Here's a post made by someone who basically sums it up for you. I know you're probably going to just ignore most of it just like you did with all my other posts. But at least I tried and I hope that maybe God will guide you.
I told you before, Raul-7, I do read your posts. I don't always read the verses from the Quran because I don't know what most of it means. I'm not interested in reading obscure passages written by someone else. I will read it if you tell me what I should be looking for.... if it will help me to better understand some point you are trying to make. But I am interested in having a discussion with you. I want to know what you believe and why you believe it.

R-7 wrote:
Yes, but who judges the judge? Ultimately, each person must arrive at his/her own truth.
R-7 wrote:
Fear is the path to peace. If people actually had a fear of God they would know he that he infact sees and hears everything they do and thus would not resort to murder or theft. Fear keeps people in line.
Do you love God?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:07 am
Ashers,

I think I agree with your entire post. (Very diplomatic!)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 02:48 am
You lot really need to be saved.

From yourselves. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 06:30 am
Does a child that is whipped and punished harshly for a minor crime love his father? Does a child that fears his father love him? I don't think so. My Dad had a horrible temper when we were growing up. (He's softened with age). We all ran to our rooms and looked busy when we heard him pull into the driveway.

If your father whipped you before he left for work and said "I'm going to work. I know it's a teacher work day and you'll be home and tempted to steal a cookie from the cookie jar so I'm spanking you now for that crime," aren't you going to go ahead and take the cookie after he leaves since you've already been punished?
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:01 pm
squinney wrote:
Does a child that is whipped and punished harshly for a minor crime love his father? Does a child that fears his father love him? I don't think so. My Dad had a horrible temper when we were growing up. (He's softened with age). We all ran to our rooms and looked busy when we heard him pull into the driveway.

If your father whipped you before he left for work and said "I'm going to work. I know it's a teacher work day and you'll be home and tempted to steal a cookie from the cookie jar so I'm spanking you now for that crime," aren't you going to go ahead and take the cookie after he leaves since you've already been punished?

But there's a difference. God is both strict in punishment and at the same time merciful. And God sees and knows what you do at all times. Why wouldn't you fear Him when he holds your life in His hands, with a simple command He can take your breath away?

Fearing God makes you humble and gives you morals in your everyday life, those who fear Allah would never steal, scam, insult, sue, etc. That's what fear in Allah instills. If people did not fear God's punishments what would stop them from murder, fornication, drinking, etc. (ie. America)? I fear Allah's wrath, but at the same time I love Him for His mercy and blessings.

For example-

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever says, 'Subhan Allah wa bihamdihi,' one hundred times a day, will be forgiven all his sins even if they were as much as the foam of the sea.

Just by saying these simple 3 words 100 times a day, all your past sins will be forgiven.

Or an even easier method-

The Prophet said, "Say Amin" when the Imam says it and if the Amin of any one of you coincides with that of the angels then all his past sins will be forgiven."

Of course this only takes place in After-dark, Sunset, and Dawn prayers.

Even better-

Allah's Apostle said, "If any one of you improve (follows strictly) his Islamic religion then his good deeds will be rewarded ten times to seven hundred times for each good deed and a bad deed will be recorded as it is."

Who can you turn to when modern medicine has no cure for you? Who can you turn to when you're unemployed and are barely able to stay alive? Who can you turn to when no human is willing to help you? Turn to Allah, your Creator, to ease you out of your calamities.
0 Replies