Films to expand yourself.

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:55 am
Hello!
Does anyone have a definitive list of must-see films to expand your horisons? Or just films that you definatly should see, new and old.
Or can anyone just suggest any?
Ta! Pq xxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 618 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 11:02 am
Off the top of my head......

"Battleship Potemkin".

"Jean de Florette" and the second part of the story "Manon des Source".

I'll think of more, no doubt.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 12:30 pm
I'm not usually a Stephen King fan, (kind of sometimes, but not really) but I love The Shawshank Redemption. I've watched that movie over and over. My copy of that is one of my most precious possessions. It's one of the few movies I ever bought for myself.
I really like Morgan Freeman and Tim Roth as actors in this. I like the ensemble cast. I love King's writing as narrated by Morgan Freeman. I love the story from beginning to and especially the end.

I also really like Swingblade. Again, the acting is superb. Billy Bob Thornton, Dwight Yoakam, John Ritter, and the little boy in this movie are just outstanding. I can't remember who played the female lead right off the top of my head, but I do remember thinking she was excellent too.
Really good, accurate description of a sleepy, southern town.

Two older ones that I saw as a kid and still watch over and over today when I feel nostalgic:
The Heart is A Lonely Hunter stars Alan Arkin when he was a young guy - I think it was made in the sixties. Anyway, another sleepy southern town. Alan Arkin plays a deaf man who befriends a young teen-aged girl who is going through growing pains. I love their friendship.

Patch of Blue with Sidney Poitier and Shelley Winters - she won an oscar for her role as the drunken, slovenly mother of this blind girl who befriends a black man- I think it was made in the fifties or early sixties.

I love movies, so I could probably think of a million, but these are four that influenced my life, and that I feel enriched having seen.
0 Replies