Definition of 'Formal Generalization'

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 04:28 am
This is driving me nuts. I need a definition of what is a 'Formal Generalization'.

It's in a sociological, pedagogical, philosophical sort of context (ie not mathematical - where the term seems to have been borrowed from).

I'd love a citation for the definition too. The term gets used in academic papers heaps 'We propose the formal generalization...' but no-one wants to say what one is. I've dredged a University library's paper and electronic collections for very paltry reward.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,058 • Replies: 2
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:15 am
I don't think you'll find the definition you seek anywhere. It's intended as a creative expression to be understood in context. Perhaps a "formal generalization" is to be taken in contrast to an "empirical generalization." The first is theoretial, the second descriptive. The first describes a thought pattern, the second an actual or potential experiential pattern.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:50 pm
Thanks for having a shot at it JL.

I still find it hard to believe that a phrase used so often does not have a formal definition (pun not intended).
0 Replies