Prime Suspect fans?

mac11

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
Did anyone catch the first part of the new Prime Suspect Sunday night?

I love Helen Mirren, and she's just fabulous in this part.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,989 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:38 am
I didn't catch it -- haven't watched since the first batch, that ended in 1998 (?).

But that first batch was breathtaking. Mirren is absolutely superb. I plan to catch up via DVD at some point.

In other words, huge fan.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:40 am
Soz, did you read the recent New Yorker article about her? Loved it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:42 am
Mac, are you referring to the final two parter? The last ever episodes, in other words.

If you are, then it was on Brit TV about three weeks ago. I agree, Mirren is a class act, and I enjoy watching anything that she's in, clothed or unclothed.

I won't give it away what happens in the final part.....you'll just have to wait and see.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:44 am
I did! Agreed, great article.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:48 am
Yes, Lord E, the final two-parter started last Sunday night and ends this Sunday.

Thank you for keeping us in suspense!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:39 pm
Yes, saw the first part Sunday night; she's wonderful as always. We have a dinner invitation for this Sunday night (made long ago -- unbreakable). I spent last evening learning how to program the new VCR...
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:24 am
I watched "Prime Suspect" for the first time last Sunday and can't wait to see the conclusion. I loved it and am sorry I never saw any of the other episodes.

I thought Helen Mirren was superb and liked the actor who played her father, too.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:35 am
I've only seen three or four of the different series. I'm going to rent them all!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:54 pm
There was a new Prime Suspect? I missed it! Phooey. It's bound to show up on another PBS station. Loved the series. And Mirren is magnificent.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:11 pm
It is coming on here soon.

And Mirren is an actor I really watch out for.

A gem.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 06:40 pm
Is Mirren's current film, The Queen, open there yet, deb? It's the best thing I've seen in months.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 06:56 pm
mac11 wrote:
Is Mirren's current film, The Queen, open there yet, deb? It's the best thing I've seen in months.

Not sure...I will have to check.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:31 pm
So, Mac, what did you think of the ending? I had the wrong person pegged for the murderer.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 01:53 pm
I COMPLETELY FORGOT TO WATCH! I realized it last night. <sigh> I wonder if they'll air it again this decade?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:08 pm
OH NO! Sorry that you missed it. It was so good.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:25 pm
Speaking of Helen Mirren and BBC productions, I have admired her since the early 1970's when she had a pivotal role in the BBC production of "Cousin Bette". Does anyone else remember her in that?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 03:59 pm
mac, our local PBS station frequently re-runs Masterpiece Theatre in the early morning hours. Maybe there's a chance you could still catch the second part of Prime Suspect, if you haven't missed the re-run yet.

I understand that Lynda LaPlante, who created the character of Jane Tennison, has said she isn't happy with what the (male) screenwriter did with the character in this installment, and I have to say I agree with her. I know that many police officers develop drinking problems because of the stress of their work, and I have no problem with Tennison's character being an alcoholic, but I think they went too far in showing her as a dysfunctional drunk who allowed her drinking to interfere with her work.

I also thought that Tennison's relationship with Penny (the teenage girl who was a friend of the murder victim's) was implausible and out of character. The screenwriter seemed to be trying to show Tennison giving in to her maternal instincts, but one of the nice things about Jane Tennison always was that you could be fairly sure she had no maternal instincts.

On the other hand, I agree with mac that The Queen is one of the best movies of the year. Before it opened, I was prepared to give my personal Oscar for best actress to Meryl Streep for her role in The Devil Wears Prada, but now it's a close call between Streep and Mirren.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 01:42 am
I finally caught up with what I thought was the final Prime Suspect. However, what I saw doesn't quite mesh with the discussion on this thread. Granted I missed some of it. However, I'm wondering whether the last episodes related to a massacre in Bosnia. If not, then I still have the last one to look forward to. If not, then I missed too much and will try to catch it again.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:34 am
Roberta, the Prime Suspect episodes that channel 13 in NYC showed last night, and the previous Sunday, were not the final series (as you suspected), they were the next-to-last series. You do indeed still have the last one to look forward to.
0 Replies