craven et al...literary agents

gc47

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:21 am
craven, on another thread you generously gave a lengthy list of agents...and i appreciate that labor...

but...i have another question that i hope you (or others) will be able to answer...i have finally gotten around to writing the novel that i said that i was going to write for the last 35 years...in 2 years time, i have written 3 full chapters...the reasons that it has taken me so long are 2 = i edit as i go and edit more than hemingway...and...i still have a day job...

my question is this...i could finish this work in less than a year if i didn't have that bluming day job...will an agent look at your work before it is finished??...

thanks for all replys...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 790 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:34 am
I have never heard of an agent looking at unfinished and unsolicited work.

Unless they know you it goes to a pile for reading on a slow day. Before it's finished you can give an outline of what it would be but for the best shot I think you should finish it first.

But I am no pro in this field.
0 Replies

gc47

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:02 am
thanks...i knew it was a long shot....but.............what the heck...back to the grind....
0 Replies

heartandsoul

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 02:50 pm
good luck gc... keep writing... my partner has finished 2 books of poetry, and we have had the first one already to publishers who wanted it, BUT wanted 85% to 15%... They get the 85% plus wanted $15,000 up front... Run in Steven Spilbergs words from any company asking you for money up front, which entails all publishing houses... Smile We have been the last 2 years working to put together the $10,000 for printing and we are doing everything else which leaves all the money made in our hands, just takes time.. We have formed our own company, and will get the money to print his books and then we want to start publishing new artists so that the artist actually makes the bulk of the mone... That is how it should be... If you believe in your book keep writing and don't give up...

heartandsoul
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:07 pm
The advice you have recieved seems right on to me. The less amateurish you present yourself, the better likelihood of recieving a proper read.
0 Replies

gc47

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 05:05 am
oh i don't intend to stop...if for nothing else, i like what i'm writing...just wanted to by-pass a little pain....
0 Replies