George W. Bush and the Almighty

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:44 am
Military spending in 2005 ($ Billions, and percent of total) Country Dollars (billions) % of total Rank
Source: U.S. Military Spending vs. the World, Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation, February 6, 2006

Notes:
Figures are for latest year available, usually 2005. Expenditures are used in a few cases where official budgets are significantly lower than actual spending.
* 2004 Figure.
Source uses FY 2007 for US figure (and includes Iraq and Afghan spending). I have used 2005 to try and keep in line with other countries listed (but I have NOT included the Iraq and Afghan operations cost which would be another $75 billion).
Due to rounding, some percentages may appear as zero.
If you are viewing this table on another site, please see http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/ArmsTrade/Spending.asp for further details.

United States 420.7 43% 1
China * 62.5 6% 2
Russia * 61.9 6% 3
United Kingdom 51.1 5% 4
Japan 44.7 4% 5
France 41.6 4% 6
Germany 30.2 3% 7
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
real, Go back and read what I wrote. I'm not talking about GDP. What you write is certainly rubbish. We're talking about total expenditure on our military vs all other countries.

Let's compare apples with apples.

Something that costs $1,000,000 here may cost $1,000 in China.

Wages are a great example of this.

More man-hours can be purchased in China with $1,000,000 than in America.

So if each country spends $1,000,000 to improve a weapons system, which one has the greater investment?

The answer is obvious.

That's why a more realistic comparison is to look at the investment in military might expressed as a percentage of GDP.

The Chinese spend a much greater percentage of their total industrial output on military expansion than the USA does.

I suspect that you already know this, however it doesn't fit well with your 'bash the US' political view.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 08:07 pm
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
real, Go back and read what I wrote. I'm not talking about GDP. What you write is certainly rubbish. We're talking about total expenditure on our military vs all other countries.

So if each country spends $1,000,000 to improve a weapons system, which one has the greater investment?

The answer is obvious.

That's why a more realistic comparison is to look at the investment in military might expressed as a percentage of GDP.

The Chinese spend a much greater percentage of their total industrial output on military expansion than the USA does.

I suspect that you already know this, however it doesn't fit well with your 'bash the US' political view.

So, are you saying that the Chinese buy more weapons than America does? Would you agree that America has more military equipment/weapons/etc than any 7 other countries combined?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 10:06 pm
real, Your comparison of buying power between the US dollar and the Chinese Yuan is laughable at best, ignorant at most.

The US has been building our military hardware for generations. China is just beginning to scratch the surface.

Addition to all that, what country will join China in a war?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 10:42 pm
maporsche wrote:
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

The answer is obvious.

So, are you saying that the Chinese buy more weapons than America does? Would you agree that America has more military equipment/weapons/etc than any 7 other countries combined?

Depends on what you count and what countries you are referring to.

I'm not going to guess what you are referring to.

They equip an army that is much more numerous than ours.

cicerone imposter wrote:
real, Your comparison of buying power between the US dollar and the Chinese Yuan is laughable at best, ignorant at most.

Your failure to take it into account betrays a simplicity of thinking that is the Achilles heel of your position. You are ready to believe any statistic, no matter how grossly taken out of context, in order to badmouth America and excuse the behavior of any other country or group.

cicerone imposter wrote:
The US has been building our military hardware for generations.

So what? Are we talking about what America did 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago, or what we are doing today? My impression was that the discussion was regarding current expenditures.

cicerone imposter wrote:
China is just beginning to scratch the surface.

You are either grossly misinformed, or intentionally deceptive.

cicerone imposter wrote:
Addition to all that, what country will join China in a war?

What country do the Chinese need to join them? They have a standing army many times the size of any other country.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 10:45 pm
If I'm so grossly misinformed, please provide evidence. Not your blather, but real evidence concering ALL the points made.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:00 pm
It is easily verifiable that the Chinese have a standing army several times the size of our own, and that their current military expenditures as a percentage of GDP are much greater than our own.

Do you doubt this?

If you say you do, then I am correct that you are misinformed (or simply trying to mislead and obfuscate) and I shall be glad to show it by providing documentation on these points.

You would be better off changing the subject to something you are more informed about, or at least can more easily confuse the issue to further your political stance of making America the villian.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:36 pm
real life wrote:
It is easily verifiable that the Chinese have a standing army several times the size of our own, and that their current military expenditures as a percentage of GDP are much greater than our own.

Do you doubt this?

If you say you do, then I am correct that you are misinformed (or simply trying to mislead and obfuscate) and I shall be glad to show it by providing documentation on these points.

You would be better off changing the subject to something you are more informed about, or at least can more easily confuse the issue to further your political stance of making America the villian.

You are the one that brought up GDP. The US spends more money and has more weapons than ANY 7 other countries COMBINED. I'm not talking about any specific country, I'm talking about ANY 7 countries. China may spend a higher % of their GDP, but we spend more money and buy more weapons.

The other side of this is that the US provides much of the worlds weaponry, so they probably aren't paying much less than we are, since we are selling it to them. We are probably paying less for our weaponry than they are since we are selling it to them.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:52 pm
maporsche,

The value of money is relative.

Just as $1 today does not have the same value as $1 in 1960, so $1 million spent by the US for weapons does not have the same value as $1 million spent by China for weapons.

Do you understand why this is the case?

Try looking at it this way.

A $1 million house in San Francisco and a $1 million house in Garnett KS would not be the same thing. (actually it is much better to live anywhere other than Frisco, but I digress)

So a $1 million weapons system in the US and a $1 million weapons system in China are not the same thing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:12 am
real, What you are describing doesn't only happen in the US; it also happens in China. Guess why?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:04 am
real life wrote:
maporsche,

Just as $1 today does not have the same value as $1 in 1960, so $1 million spent by the US for weapons does not have the same value as $1 million spent by China for weapons.

A $1 million house in San Francisco and a $1 million house in Garnett KS would not be the same thing. (actually it is much better to live anywhere other than Frisco, but I digress)

So a $1 million weapons system in the US and a $1 million weapons system in China are not the same thing.

That is not my point, that is yours.

My point is that the United States owns, buys, possesses, could use, stockpiles, and builds more weaponry and military might than other country.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:36 pm
real, A "standing army" means very little in wars when they're concentrated in one country like China. I'll let you figure out why that is so.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:54 pm
maporsche wrote:
real life wrote:
maporsche,

My point is that the United States owns, buys, possesses, could use, stockpiles, and builds more weaponry and military might than other country.

I understand that this is your point, however you have yet to prove it.

BTW , owning or possessing something that has been purchased previously vs. current purchases is a big difference that I am sure you will try to gloss over.

However, the issue that was being discussed is what is being spent NOW, not what was purchased in the past.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:03 pm
real life wrote:
maporsche wrote:
real life wrote:
maporsche,

I understand that this is your point, however you have yet to prove it.

BTW , owning or possessing something that has been purchased previously vs. current purchases is a big difference that I am sure you will try to gloss over.

However, the issue that was being discussed is what is being spent NOW, not what was purchased in the past.

OK, I'm sick of arguing with you.

The United States spent 466 billion in 2004.

The next closes country spent 65 billion in 2004 (China)
Next, Russa (50 billion)
Next, France (46 billion)
Next, Japan (44 billion)
Next, Germany (38 billion)
Next, United Kingdom (31 billion)

If you're going to try to tell me that our 466 billion bought LESS weaponry that China's 65 billion then you're just crazy. I doubt our 466 bought less weaponry than the next six country's 274 billion.

I don't care what the GDP is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:26 pm
Some people continue to insist on comparisons that is irrelavant; we're talking about total expenditure for military - not compared to GDP. The comparison is US's 466 billion to China's 65 billion.
That means China spends only 14 percent of what US spends on the military. Costa Rica spends zilch on their military. It doesn't matter what Costa Rica's GDP is.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:44 pm
OK so China has an army that is twice the size of the US army. But the facts are irrelevant , right CI?

America is just a bully plain and simple, right?

America's military has served long, thankless periods keeping the peace in Europe after WWII ( how many troops still are in Europe?) , protecting South Korea from aggression long after the Korean war (no oil there, I thought that's all we ever went to war over, CI ) and in Japan ( how many US troops still there? ) so that Japan has no need to militarize and become a threat to the region (don't laugh, it could have happened after WWII had not the US presence remained, just look at Germany between WWI and WWII ).

Yes a sizable percentage of the US military is dedicated to protecting the peace around the world. We're just bullies, right?

We throw money to the military just to throw our weight around. Unrepentant , power mad USA. How evil, eh?

We spilled our guts to rescue Europe, not once, but twice in the last century.

We have time and again rescued weaker nations from aggressors. All without your thanks.

Did it serve our interests too? Yes, peace is in everybody's interest. But you don't often see other nations spilling blood to keep the peace like the USA.

Should we just pull back and let terrorists have at it?

We were attacked by terrorists AT LEAST 4 times during the reign of King Bill , and we did nothing substantial in response, inviting further aggression.

4 times:

World Trade Center attack #1 -- 1993
Khobar Towers -- 1996
2 Embassies in Africa bombed -- 1998
USS Cole attacked -- 2000

Ignoring aggression invites further aggression.

Ok, so I won't bother you with the facts anymore.

China feeds and supplies a military presence over twice the size of the US military. (They also have NO ongoing commitments to keep the peace anywhere in the world.) But we're the bad guys. We're the ones 'spending more to militarize'. Yeah right.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:47 pm
China's large army is only effective in defense of their country, but without the weapons to fight any war, they're useless.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:00 am
Do you seriously believe that the Chinese army carries no weapons?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
Nothing comparable to what the US or our allies have. Also, how do you suppose China will transport all those military men and supplies? To where, and how? And for what purpose?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:00 pm
real life wrote:
OK so China has an army that is twice the size of the US army. But the facts are irrelevant , right CI?

America is just a bully plain and simple, right?

America's military has served long, thankless periods keeping the peace in Europe after WWII ( how many troops still are in Europe?) , protecting South Korea from aggression long after the Korean war (no oil there, I thought that's all we ever went to war over, CI ) and in Japan ( how many US troops still there? ) so that Japan has no need to militarize and become a threat to the region (don't laugh, it could have happened after WWII had not the US presence remained, just look at Germany between WWI and WWII ).

Yes a sizable percentage of the US military is dedicated to protecting the peace around the world. We're just bullies, right?

We throw money to the military just to throw our weight around. Unrepentant , power mad USA. How evil, eh?

We spilled our guts to rescue Europe, not once, but twice in the last century.

We have time and again rescued weaker nations from aggressors. All without your thanks.

Did it serve our interests too? Yes, peace is in everybody's interest. But you don't often see other nations spilling blood to keep the peace like the USA.

Should we just pull back and let terrorists have at it?

We were attacked by terrorists AT LEAST 4 times during the reign of King Bill , and we did nothing substantial in response, inviting further aggression.

4 times:

World Trade Center attack #1 -- 1993
Khobar Towers -- 1996
2 Embassies in Africa bombed -- 1998
USS Cole attacked -- 2000

Ignoring aggression invites further aggression.

Ok, so I won't bother you with the facts anymore.

China feeds and supplies a military presence over twice the size of the US military. (They also have NO ongoing commitments to keep the peace anywhere in the world.) But we're the bad guys. We're the ones 'spending more to militarize'. Yeah right.

Didn't Jesus say to turn the other cheek?
0 Replies