Google spiders and other things that go bump on the internet

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:04 pm
That's perfect. Google detects "invisible" links and penalizes. An invisible link is a link that is colored the same as the background so that it is invisible to humans and visible to bots.

There are other ways to di it, including ways that the search engines won't recognize but they penalize it because it is an attempt to pull the wool over their eyes.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:25 am
great! I thought an invisible link was some sort of A Href= versus a simpler www

i've never even heard of invisible links - guess that's my sheltered upbringing.

so great, now that every page essentially points to spyder, err, how do i get google to come on over and take a gander? wait the full 6 months from the last time i submitted, or hope it detects the links on the other sites where i've posted or been linked from?
btw - slowly but surely, my signature (which i now have on every board where i post) is starting to trickle into google's spider searches for other sites, so hopefully i am accumulating "googleworthiness" - maybe it will even check out my site one day. *sigh*
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 02:30 pm
Strange - google cached the mobile version of my site, http://www.gadgetaddict.com/mobile but still has not/will not cache the main site - do you think that could be because in the old days (last week) my index.html had that referring script which may have ticked off google?
since google is at least caching the mobile version, is it likely it is just a matter of time before it caches, and crawls the main site? for that matter, by crawling the mobile version, wouldn't it bascially crawl the main as well?
thanks for any light shedding!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 02:37 pm
Your home page is cached on google too. The problem is that when you laod the cache it tries to redirect.

So yes, the redirect screwed things up. After Google respiders you should be ok.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 02:45 pm
yippee! after i get all this stuff figured out, i'll try to add links back to the main page at the footers of the mobile version - you have taught me well! Smile
btw - i tried a2k on my ipaq yesterday - i don't think you have a mobile version of the site, do you?
if you're interested, i found phpbbtogo to be a great short little solution - you can specify what forums you want (or all) and you basically get a very fast loading text site - when you click on the links then the full post comes up (including graphics) - only downside is that you can't post or do much more than view things, but that's still pretty cool for mobile.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 04:46 pm
Thing is, I swear on my right teste that you are the only person who has tried to see the site on a mobile.

Kiddin' I did too. I intend to implement mobile versions one day but right now I have a bunch of other things with a higher priority.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:48 pm
for whatever it's worth, phpbbtogo can be installed and configured in about 10 minutes - even by a Gary! Smile
one advantage of going mobile is the ability to get linked from various mobile sites/directories - i think that's how gadgetaddict mobile got found...anyway, just my 2 cents worth.
thanks again for all your help - now i have to think of ways to return the favor...oh, and that picture on your avatar is the scariest yet!!! (KIDDING) - you change your avatars more often than i change my, err, mind Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:53 pm
LOL

Yeah, I'll do the moblie thingie with this next overhaul of the site I have planned.

i also need to add syndication to place content on other sites etc. A forum feed or some such.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:01 pm
i think there is an rss feed or something similar - as i don't know what that means, i can't help you there! i did notice (now that you said it) that you're not a member of any webrings - i'd say you could potentially qualify for a bunch of them - that would also be a source of links...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:04 pm
I plan to host a webring. I prefer to host one than be a member of one. :-)
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:41 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I plan to host a webring. I prefer to host one than be a member of one. :-)

okay, really bad joke coming up - why is marriage like a 3 ring circus?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:24 am
Hmmm. Dunno.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:26 am
better sit down.

First there's the engagement ring.

Then there's the wedding ring.

Then there's suffering! Smile

Okay, was funnier when Lou Costello said it! Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:33 am
LOL, well at least I never heard lou tell it.
0 Replies