An evening in Columbus

CowDoc

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:47 am
I have a free afternoon and night in Columbus, Ohio, (Dublin, technically) in early December. Any suggestions for places of interest?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 16
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:49 am
Re: An evening in Columbus
CowDoc wrote:
I have a free afternoon and night in Columbus, Ohio, (Dublin, technically) in early December. Any suggestions for places of interest?

Yes, fly to albuquerque and I will personally take you to a fine resturant for dinner and a beer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:51 am
Oh!

Nobody ever comes to Columbus! :-)

Um, depends on your interests. If you're in Dublin, and you're a vet 'n' all, you may want to check out the Columbus Zoo. It's really pretty nice.

The freeway system means that there is a whole lot within 15-20 minutes, so hard to narrow things down as there's SO MUCH that you could get to without much problem.

I think the Short North arts district is cool, with a lot of good restaurants, not sure if that's your thing.

Tell me more about what kind of things you'd be interested in and I'll go from there.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:20 am
sozobe wrote:
Nobody ever comes to Columbus! :-)

Reminds me of the old joke:

I spent a month in Lubbock one weekend....
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:47 am
I was out that way last summer and had a great meal at Martini's
(near the "arena district", if I recall correctly).
I also ate at the Schmidt Sausage House, a meal I am still trying to digest.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:02 am
Re: An evening in Columbus
dyslexia wrote:
CowDoc wrote:

Yes, fly to albuquerque and I will personally take you to a fine resturant for dinner and a beer.

And then he can stop over in Chicago on his way home and I take him to lunch. Hi to CowDoc and Mrs CowDoc!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
Great idea. I could stand Albuquerque for a weekend.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:36 am
Hmm, that's an idea.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:29 pm
Wear a Michigan jersey.
That's a guaranteed conversation-starter.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:51 pm
Since you're gonna be in the neighborhood, you might wanna check out the Dublin Village Tavern - great food, great ambience, not-so-great parking.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:19 pm
Schmidt's.

mmmmmm

Loved the Franklin Park Conservatory when I visited.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 07:18 am
...and not too far away is...

http://www.agilitynut.com/p/longab3.jpg
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:47 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! Since I have had dinner with both dys and JPB (at different times and different cities, i.e. Albuquerque and Chicago), I can attest to their good tastes. I think I can safely assume that that applies to the rest of you A2Ker's. Again, much obliged!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:54 pm
I'm sorry I missed CowDoc in both Abq and Chicago... I hadn't moved to Abq yet and had been to Chicago earlier than the CowDocs, meeting the same terrific folks.

Haven't been to Columbus, so no advice at all. (Lived in Dayton as a child, twice, but long ago).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:28 pm
Dublin is definitely upscale, and a nightmare to drive in. Columbus is actually a big restaurant town, but restaurants are a cut-throat business, so which ones are currently hot, and which are not, changes pretty rapidly. Dublin actually gets rather dull at night, and, as i said, it's a nightmare to drive in. I say that having lived near by, and having hated ever occasion upon which i could not avoid driving to Dublin for anything. Most of the good restaurants are in the "Short North," which is just to the north of the downtown, and the arena district referred to is on the northwest corner of the downtown area. Grandview actually has some good restaurants, as well. There are many great Thai restuarants in Columbus--Thai Taste, Thai Orchid and Siam. Try Figlio in Grandview (if it's still in operation) for good, upscale Italian. Hubert Seifert, one of the best chefs in America, used to run the Gourmet Market, but then it was changed to Spagio--don't know if Spagio is still in operation, but it'll be the best European style restaurant around if it.

Me, i always liked to stop off at Number One Chinese Restaurant in Hilliard for some carry out on the way home--white table cloth restaurants ain't really my thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 09:37 pm
Spagio and Figlio are still in operation. Filing away the Thai ones, hadn't found them yet and we loooove Thai food.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 11:49 pm
If you like Greek cuisine you will do well to try Tria in Powell Ohio. We love it.

klik here
0 Replies