Recipe contest entry, Appetizers, Hungarian Pizzas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:38 pm
Actually these are neither Hungarian nor pizzas, but a good friend was tired of hearing me refer to them as 'cheese & bacon things' and renamed them in honor of my husband's birthplace and their shape.

Hungarian Pizzas (makes 20)

10 oz. of extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. of bacon
1 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbs. mayonnaise
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. each of: black pepper, red pepper, ground mustard, garlic powder
6-8 drops tabasco sauce
1 package of refrigerator biscuits (10 count)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Fry bacon until crisp, reserving 1 Tbs. grease.

While bacon is frying, grate cheddar into large bowl. Add spices, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and mix well. Crumble fried bacon and add to cheese mixture. Add the reserved bacon grease and mayonnaise and mix.

Separate each refrigerator biscuit into two halves. Place the halves (total of 20) onto an ungreased 15 x 10 baking pan. Spread cheese mixture on top of each biscuit half. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 6 minutes or until edges of biscuits are lightly browned.

Notes: The spices can be decreased or increased according to taste.
Also, party rye bread or pre-toasted slices of french bread can be used instead of the biscuits -- just broil instead of bake. The cheese/bacon mixture can be prepared a day or two ahead and refrigerated (leave out at room temperature for a bit before trying to spread).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,305 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:42 pm
Bandylu!

wonderful to see you, and with a recipe no less!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:50 pm
bandylu!!

Nice to see ya!!

Sounds delicious,..anything with cheese and bacon works for me!! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:06 pm
Yum!!

Update update update! What's up with the weddings? Have they happened?
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:19 pm
One down, one to go. Daughter got married yesterday. I'm suffering from post-wedding letdown!!! We are in contract to sell our house and in contract to buy a house in PA. Move will take place in August, either before or after son's wedding (hopefully after). Figured before I get too involved with the packing thing, I'd take a break from all this chaos and find peace at A2K.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:23 pm
Yay bandylu's daughter! Congrats! Everything went smoothly?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 12:58 am
Just popping in with a little bit of advice for your Australian cousins.

I ran "refrigerator biscuit' thru Google. It turns out to be the traditional scone! Some of the varients are savoury, and some more like damper (traditional unleavened bush-tucker bread).

So, a cookie is a biscuit,
..a biscuit is a scone,
..a flapjack is a pancake, 'cept when its a hotcake
..we don't mention pikelets in mixed company
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:18 am
I've eaten Hungarian Pizza recently... asides from toppings (corn, salami, egg) we don't see here stateside, it's not too much different than what you get here.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:33 pm
Mr. Stillwater -- by 'refrigerator biscuit' I meant the canned variety (i.e. Pillsbury open and bake type -- you must have something similar). Don't think scones taste like those though I actually have never had a real scone so it could very well be.

Seal Poet -- didn't even know there really was such a thing. We actually have a place around here that puts virtually all that and much more on their pizzas (though personally I stick to pepperoni and cheese).
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 12:29 am
We don't have anything called 'refrigerator biscuits' in Australia. You can get cookie dough, but to Aussies a biscuit is sweet and hard, not moist like a cookie.

I just checked the recipe and found that it is similiar to a scone recipe, basically a 'breaded' product that uses baking powder as a raising agent. This could range from the sweet (scones) to a savoury type (cheese scones or dumplings) or used like bread (damper, or even Yorkshire Pudding).

Do you guys have anything similiar to the 'crumpet'? Its a yeast-risen fried product, which you toast.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 12:48 pm
Crumpets are a bit like what we call an "English muffin" - though I think English muffins are baked, not fried. They are usually toasted and served with butter or cream cheese and/or jelly and such.

Scones and American biscuits are very similar - just a slightly different texture.
0 Replies