Is marriage for religious purposes only?

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 04:06 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Mindonfire, I see your point because a month or so ago I might have actually agreed with you to a certain extent. However, beside the legalities involved in being married there really is no point except the ritual side of it. But really even that doesn't equal up to two cents if the people making the vows have no intentions on following through. So... again... no point. :wink:

Now, ask yourself, if there is really no point to marriage, then why is it so badly coveted by homosexuals? If it is no point to it then no one should want it. People don't seek or fight for pointless things.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 04:12 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Mindonfire, I see your point because a month or so ago I might have actually agreed with you to a certain extent. However, beside the legalities involved in being married there really is no point except the ritual side of it. But really even that doesn't equal up to two cents if the people making the vows have no intentions on following through. So... again... no point. :wink:

Now, ask yourself, if there is really no point to marriage, then why is it so badly coveted by homosexuals? If it is no point to it then no one should want it. People don't seek or fight for pointless things.

Legal rights are given to married couples.

Also, some homosexual people are religious. They don't think that god hates homosexuals. They are entitled to their delusions too you know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 04:23 pm
I suppose that this is more an American issue - religious marriage ceremonies may mean something to some, but have no meaning to "the outsite", no legal binding, nothing but expenses and show (besides perhaps some religious ideas for the involved).
At least that's so in Germany, since 1875.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 04:57 pm
The ritualization of the breeding-pair bond played a huge, vital, causational part in bringing us to where we are today. Given the comparatively long gestation and maturation of human young, with the attendendant necessity of long-term care and nurturing, along with humankind's particularly developed senses of kinship and property, it is inconceivable society and thus civilization might have come about were there not to have been formally ritualized structure to the bonding of breeding pairs. Were humans as critters capable of achieving autonomous self-sufficiency within a few seasons of birthing, there would be no cause or reason for the development of society and hence civilization.

Going beyond that we arrive at today's quandry - given that pair bonding no longer need be associated with breeding and nurturing offspring - a luxury afforded exclusively via technologic advances (the cooperative labor of the entire community no longer is required to assure the survival of the community) - the issue now revolves entirely around property and other-than-kinship rights. Unfortunately, lost on many who press for expansion of such rights into the realm of non-breeding pairs is the fact that with all rights come certain obligations.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:24 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The ritualization of the breeding-pair bond played a huge, vital, causational part in bringing us to where we are today. Given the comparatively long gestation and maturation of human young, with the attendendant necessity of long-term care and nurturing, along with humankind's particularly developed senses of kinship and property, it is inconceivable society and thus civilization might have come about were there not to have been formally ritualized structure to the bonding of breeding pairs. Were humans as critters capable of achieving autonomous self-sufficiency within a few seasons of birthing, there would be no cause or reason for the development of society and hence civilization.

Going beyond that we arrive at today's quandry - given that pair bonding no longer need be associated with breeding and nurturing offspring - a luxury afforded exclusively via technologic advances (the cooperative labor of the entire community no longer is required to assure the survival of the community) - the issue now revolves entirely around property and other-than-kinship rights. Unfortunately, lost on many who press for expansion of such rights into the realm of non-breeding pairs is the fact that with all rights come certain obligations.

Interesting question arises from this.

If humans 'evolved' as some suppose, isn't the inordinately long period of child bearing and nuturing into adulthood a distinct evolutionary DISadvantage?

How came humans to develop this disadvantageous trait when many other mammals have much shorter periods of nuturing into adulthood?

Evolution is supposed to favor those things which confer a 'survival advantage'. But the prolonged period of having to provide food, shelter and protection for human children is not an advantage to them.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:45 pm
The concept of marriage is a mental extension of the act of physical union.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:51 pm
real life wrote:
If humans 'evolved' as some suppose, isn't the inordinately long period of child bearing and nuturing into adulthood a distinct evolutionary DISadvantage?

Clearly not - the advantage conferred is evident in the fact you're reading this - and enjoy indoor plumbing and cooked food.

Quote:
How came humans to develop this disadvantageous trait when many other mammals have much shorter periods of nuturing into adulthood?

The genetic framework necessary for the development of sentience apparently is exclusive to anthropoids, and obviously is most highly expressed in homo sapiens sapiens. In some cases, at least ...

Quote:
Evolution is supposed to favor those things which confer a 'survival advantage'. But the prolonged period of having to provide food, shelter and protection for human children is not an advantage to them.

Nonsense - the evolution of humankind from packs through clans to society and eventually civilization, as well documented in fossil, archaeologic, historic, and genetic record demonstrates the survival advantage gained via paying the cost of protracted nuturing with attendent passing on of accumulated knowledge and skills (skills notably including language). You wouldn't be reading this were such not the case; you'd be busy hunting, gathering, and seeking natural shelter.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:02 am
Great argument, timber.

'You're here. So's society. Therefore both MUST HAVE evolved'. Laughing

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:41 am
real life wrote:
Great argument, timber.

'You're here. So's society. Therefore both MUST HAVE evolved'. Laughing

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Isn't that the same argument you would use for creation?

"Life is so complex that there MUST HAVE been a creator"

Besides you misstated his argument. It's more like.

"You're here. So's society. Therefore providing for your offspring for such a long period of time MUST HAVE been an evolutionary advantage."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:57 pm
The difference between rl's argument and science is that science is based on evidence and is the product of minds given to seeking, developing, testing, and confirmining rational answers to complex questions through the gathering, assessing, comparing, refining, and correllating of that evidence. rl' and crew come at it from "This fairytale makes me feel good about myself, so science is bunk". That, however sincerely it may be held and professed, amounts to institutionalized ignorance.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:44 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The difference between rl's argument and science is that science is based on evidence and is the product of minds given to seeking, developing, testing, and confirmining rational answers to complex questions through the gathering, assessing, comparing, refining, and correllating of that evidence. rl' and crew come at it from "This fairytale makes me feel good about myself, so science is bunk". That, however sincerely it may be held and professed, amounts to institutionalized ignorance.

OK so what EVIDENCE (besides your circular argument already stated) do you have that tying down adult humans for EXTRA YEARS of child nuturing provided them with a 'survival advantage' ?

No evidence of a 'survival advantage' to the adults from prolonged nurturing of their young? Oh yeah 'Evolution works in mysterious ways.' Laughing

Just because we don't have any evidence of a 'survival advantage', or know how evolution works, we just know it MUST HAVE happened, right?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:20 pm
You have never posted ANYTHING except a circular argument. You have never backed up a single assertion with a verifiable fact. You are without doubt the biggest hyprocite I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:36 pm
Mindonfire wrote:

Go back one page and look at boomerang's post.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 06:21 am
Mindonfire wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

I have no doubt that every "social group" in this country would like to have the same "status" as every other "social group" within the society they are surrounded by. So what are homosexuals fighting for? The right for their lifestyle to be seen as acceptable within a nation that proclaims to be primarily "christian". Not marriage.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:58 pm
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

OK so what EVIDENCE (besides your circular argument already stated) do you have that tying down adult humans for EXTRA YEARS of child nuturing provided them with a 'survival advantage' ?

No evidence of a 'survival advantage' to the adults from prolonged nurturing of their young? Oh yeah 'Evolution works in mysterious ways.' Laughing

Just because we don't have any evidence of a 'survival advantage', or know how evolution works, we just know it MUST HAVE happened, right?

Strength in numbers.

Diversity of thought.

Passing down knowledge.

Helping hands.

It is well shown in biolgoy that the smarter the animal the more involvement there is from the parents and for longer periods of time. Check out dolphins, apes, etc.

Knowlege is the greatest evolutionary advantage.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:03 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

I have no doubt that every "social group" in this country would like to have the same "status" as every other "social group" within the society they are surrounded by. So what are homosexuals fighting for? The right for their lifestyle to be seen as acceptable within a nation that proclaims to be primarily "christian". Not marriage.

Some are probably fighting for what you're talking about.

Others want the protections that are granted through marriage.

Others want to confess/display their love for their partner to their loved ones in an antiquated ceremony to fulfill a deep seeded need.

Others would like to turn every child into a homosexual and bring hell on earth so that all of us may worship Satan and engage in anal sex with children and animals while jabbing a crucifix into our eyes while taking the lords name in vain.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 08:37 pm
maporsche wrote:
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

Strength in numbers.

Diversity of thought.

Passing down knowledge.

Helping hands.

A much longer period of nurturing into adulthood means that it takes much longer to accomplish each of these actions that you have mentioned. Why would delaying any of these be a 'survival advantage' ?

maporsche wrote:
It is well shown in biolgoy that the smarter the animal the more involvement there is from the parents and for longer periods of time. Check out dolphins, apes, etc.

Is it really?

Where is it 'well shown' ?

Aren't there animals that are quite intelligent, but have a fairly short period of time to maturity? Pigs and dogs, for instance.

Dolphins and porpoises , while supposedly close relatives, seem to have significant differences in the length of time it takes them to mature.

How is the longer period a 'survival advantage' ?

maporsche wrote:
Knowlege is the greatest evolutionary advantage.

Is it? A lion can tear a human to pieces and he doesn't have to be very bright, just fast and strong.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:03 pm
rl, either you are missing something, or anthropology has it wrong.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:52 pm
maporsche wrote:
Others would like to turn every child into a homosexual and bring hell on earth so that all of us may worship Satan and engage in anal sex with children and animals while jabbing a crucifix into our eyes while taking the lords name in vain.

I've never heard it summed up so succinctly! Very good. Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:59 pm
Well, I am missing an explanation from you how a much longer (many years longer) nurturing period gives a 'survival advantage' to humans.

It is completely illogical that it would be of any benefit to humans to be SLOWER to grasp the lessons needed to sustain them in life, make them productive and keep them alive.
0 Replies