What's with all the emoticons!?

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:03 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
There's an ignore feature now? Question

Kinda-sorta, indirectly, anyhow; there's an extension for older versions of the Firefox browser that gives the effect - see This and its relevant follow-on posts. AFIK, there's still no update to make the extension work with presently-current Firefox V 2.x though, so you prolly hafta uninstall that if you've got it and revert to V1.5x or earlier, or if you don't already have V 2.x resort to an archived version - if you wanna go that way, I'd suggest you try either V 1.5.0.7 or V 1.5.0.8 as those appear to be the latest, most up-to-date versions which support the extension.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 05:41 pm
Would someone please tell me what Timber just said. It ain't in none of the languages I'm passingly familiar with.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:04 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
There's an ignore feature now? Question

Kinda-sorta, indirectly, anyhow; there's an extension (utility) for older versions of the Firefox browser (another flavor of browser other than Microsoft's Internet Explorer) that gives the effect (an ignore feature that we discussed on this other thread here)- see This and its relevant follow-on posts. AFIK, there's still no update to make the extension work with presently (The utility only works with older versions of the Firefox browser. Most folks have the new Firefox version)-current Firefox V 2.x though, so you prolly hafta uninstall that if you've got it and revert to V1.5x or earlier, (you have to uninstall the newer version in order to reinstall the older version of Firefox that works with the ignore utility)or if you don't already have V 2.x resort to an (unless you don't have the older Firefox version. If you just have the new one, then you need to find a source for the older version to download and install) archived version - if you wanna go that way, I'd suggest you try either V 1.5.0.7 or V 1.5.0.8 as those appear to be the latest, most up-to-date versions which support the extension.(Timber provides a couple resources as being the most up to date versions of the old version which will still support the utility.)

Once whoever created the ignore utility produces an update that works with the newer versions of Firefox, you won't have to worry about any of this other stuff. Very Happy

You could also use the handy dandy ignore feature already built into Internet Explorer. It's that button in the upper right corner of the webpage with a big X in a box. It's what I use when I just can't stand looking at something for a moment longer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:21 pm
I see I spelled astute wrong twice in one post. Egads.
So, has Craven ever used a smiley?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
I don't think Craven knows how to use them. And he's too proud to ask for help.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:43 pm
Is there a smiley for snorting?

I used to be more put off by them than I am now - I've grown to see their usefulness. LOL, on the other hand, drives me nuts. I have actively work to regroup and listen to the person lol-ling.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:39 pm
http://host.jwcinc.net/1217311/coreyh/020106na12_prv.gif
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:59 pm
Just curious osso, what is it about "lol-ing" that drives you nuts? Does "hehehe-ing work better for you? I know bwaaa haha-ing doesn't work for some. I do rather enjoy it when some people snork though. That's a fun one.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:04 pm
I know I cant stand the LOL stuff either.

If what you say isnt funny enough to make me laugh, then it aint funny.

period.

LOL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:09 pm
seconding or firsting Shewolf.

Well, to start with, I've always been attracted to dry humor, starting with, acccck, George Gobel in the early fifties. Underlining humor is a sign, to me, of weak humor. By now, all these years later, I'm out of it re what is current, but I get the mechanism.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:10 pm
ossobuco wrote:
firsting Shewolf. .

LOL!!!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:11 pm
Oh, wait a minute! FIRSTING!!! Never mind.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:13 pm
OK OK, I'VE BEEN COMPLETELY DESTROYED. I WASN'T COMPLETELY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS THREAD ANYWAY...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:16 pm
Hee hees and he hes drive me nuts too. I have a fulsome vocabulary, not by any means other than I've paid attention for years, and I look at post after post with lols and smilies. Let me be the first to own up to my own various stupidities - but I'd prefer to be engaged with words.

That's my basic bias, but I've stopped with hating smilies - as I've said, they can be quick clues to ambiguous to others' posts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:17 pm
Nick, I retain the right and joy of making up words whenever I feel like it, and the same to you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:19 pm
In the meantime, I like aperson's signature....
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:50 am
Sometimes a smiley or a LOL just tells someone how much you appreciated what that said, or HOW funny you thought something is/was... or that you meant something in a gentle manner or that you disagree vehemently with the person's POV but still like the person... n'est-ce pas? What drives me nuts are lots of !!!! and ???????

Hey osso, how goes it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:56 am
Fine, Mame. I spent the afternoon scarfing popcorn and watching a movie on old opera stars, a real weeper for me, who only learned to tolerate opera in my late forties and now love it. This was at Dys and Diane's house, so much of the time was spent keeping SallyDog away from the popcorn...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:57 am
You mean that I don't sound really really excited when I use lots of these ! and these? when I write???!!?!!!!!?!!?

I always thought that if I added more exclamations, I'd draw more attention to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, when I see lots of question marks, it makes me think of a little kid waving their raised hand, squirming and holding on to prevent them peeing on themselves. What do you think when you see lots of these?????????????
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:57 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/gallery/Misc/av_guess.gif
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 05:24:08