What's with all the emoticons!?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:49 pm
Even I, sentient grammatical being, sometimes type 'here' for hear, or vice versa. There is some primitive connection with typing and the early brain. As I'm sure I've mentioned HERE before on a2k; I never got that wrong in a test in my childhood and, yet, I do it now unless I catch it.

Woooooooooo...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:06 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
Sometimes they just fit...a picture is worth a thousand words....type of thing.

I agree!

aperson http://www.borge.diesal.de/board02/images/smiles/schmoller.gif
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:11 pm
Emoticons are the crutch of the lazy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:13 pm
Hey, osso. Them ain't grammartical boo boo's. They're homonyms, and as one who can NOT spell well at all,(that would be ME) I suggest you start using emoticons.

Ok, C.J. What are those Siamese twins in green shoes marching like runic rhymes signify? <smile>
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:15 pm
Oh hush, gustav!!

Miss Letty, they're trippling, meaning they're waiting in anticipation for
something....
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:15 pm
Re: What's with all the emoticons!?
aperson wrote:
What's with all the emoticons!? Grown men and women posting smiley faces and devils, it's ridiculous! If you are a good writer, you can convey your emotions through words - much more subtle than yellow faces.

Oh the irony...this coming from someone who uses the question mark for an avatar. I'd use the laughing emoticon, but I am trying to be more subtle.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:21 pm
Merry,

Thanks....I have ran across maths a few times here and there.

It never hits me as completely improper, just seems to be missing the in front of it. As in, the maths, the sciences...etc.

The way Canadians and Brits tend to use university always sounds odd to me as well..."Next fall, my daughter will be attending university."

Again, for me, it needs the, or a in front of it, to sound correct. I use college the same way, without a, or the, in front of it...."Are you going to college next year?" But university is almost always said as so....The University of Ky....The University of Mo...or of course abbreviations are used, which solves the problem completely. Old Miss, Missou, Murry State...

But, I'm just a rambling hick...so it's not important.

And now, to get this back on topic.... Confused Rolling Eyes :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Intrepid wrote:
Smile Very Happy Surprised Confused Laughing Mad Razz Crying or Very sad Embarrassed

and that's all I have to say on the matter.

:wink:

Ah. At last, a person of few words.
0 Replies

Letty

To reiterate, aperson. We are not having fun at your expense. Stick around and you will learn to like us HEAR on A2K. BIG SMILE.

"trippling". Love that word, C.J.

Goodnight y'all.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:31 am
Butrflynet, you dare question the question mark??

You bloody Americans are so stubborn! I could write a 200 page essay supporting this but I won't. You refuse to change to the metric system like the rest of the world and you also insist on stupid changes in spelling.

But is not what this is about. I doubt I'd win the fight anyway, being outnumered 200 to 1.

And I do "dig".
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:52 am
I think you are too adult for your own good!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 05:37 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:32 am
Someone needs to take the giant stick out his ass and have a little fun.

Sheesh.

Note that I did not use a smilie here. If a smilie had been used, it would have indicated that I was joking. However, since the person posting the thread thinks I am a "bloody stubborn American", I shall be so and continue to post nonsense.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:43 am
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/Intrepidagrees.gif
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:48 am
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/canada.gif
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:00 am
There are certain instances where I find the use of emoticons to be a little irritating. I guess it depends on how I feel about that particular member, and whether they (sorry) he/she is agreeing with me or disagreeing.

I almost always have my settings adjusted so as not to show them moving. As a result, I'm afraid I have been guilty of misusing certain ones, esp. the "laughing" emoticon Laughing , which is not so bad when it is still, but quickly becomes annoying when set in motion. The same is true of the the "rolling eyes" emoticon Rolling Eyes , which, on my computer is always looking down.

I agree with other posters who have noted the value of smilies to indicate the use of sarcasm. I don't know how many times I have made a fantastically funny comment, only to have it seriously responded to. It seems to happen a lot. (could just be that I'm not that funny. hmmmm...)

One more thing, the next time one of you's makes a snide remark, at my expense, and follows it up with one of them "winky" faces. . . well, let's just say you've been warned!!!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:09 am
Re: What's with all the emoticons!?
aperson wrote:
What's with all the emoticons!? Grown men and women posting smiley faces and devils, it's ridiculous! If you are a good writer, you can convey your emotions through words - much more subtle than yellow faces.
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2696/0876la.gif
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:20 am
Aperson wrote in his/her profile:

Quote:
I am the youngest active member here, unless someone else is covering up their age

Aperson,

On the "what is your age" thread you mentioned you are Material Girl's age. So, I am guessing you are in your 30's (I once saw MG say on a certain thread she is 30 something.)

If that is the age group you are in, I promise that the claim you make in your profile is wrong. I know a lot many people here who are in their 20's and some are even teens; and they are quite active.

This is not to offend you. Just to tell you that there are a lot of younger posters too in here. I know a 19 year old girl on A2K with some 2000 posts and she posts regularly. And there's an 18 year old too on the Trivia boards.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:40 am
I'm guessing 13-14, spidergal.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:43 am
I think in all the time I've posted on A2K, I've only ever used two or three emoticons, and my writing has never caused any confusion.
(insert the emoticon that most typifies sarcasm here)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 02:21:50