What's with all the emoticons!?

aperson

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:59 pm
What's with all the emoticons!? Grown men and women posting smiley faces and devils, it's ridiculous! If you are a good writer, you can convey your emotions through words - much more subtle than yellow faces.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,242 • Replies: 113
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:05 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:24 pm
Razz
Smiley faces are in. Be there or be square.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:28 pm
Sometimes it's hard to convey sarcasm in writing. Emoticons can help with that.

Neutral
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:35 pm
Some of us have avoided them, along with LOLs and use of U for you...

But purists break down once in a while, as 'smilies' are communicators for intent, when quickly posted words can confuse.

They can be one more part of your vocabulary - to me quite circumscribed, if any of us could just draw...

You'll find that this is a world wide site and people have different language abilities. We post in english, but for many it isn't a first language. Some are teens, some are in their seventies. People of all ages can be smart or having a stupid day. The smilies are clues. Irony, for example, is not always understood. Older people tend not to use smilies, but some do once in a while for the reasons I mentioned... which are to give a tone of voice.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:56 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:58 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:02 pm
right on aperson, Rolling Eyes are all Drunk , but you seem Cool

well that's my 2 Cents
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:03 pm
Hey, aperson. You need to correct a grammatical error in your profile. Razz

Actually, it is difficult to convey a proper message that may sound sarcastic, but is really done in fun.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:03 pm
^^ a rare appearance by a smilie in Osso's post.

This must be marked in a2k history Shocked
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:08 pm
Letty wrote:
Hey, aperson. You need to correct a grammatical error in your profile. Razz

Actually, it is difficult to convey a proper message that may sound sarcastic, but is really done in fun.

Dammit, Letty! I couldn't find the "grammatical error." Am I getting senile? Exclamation Question Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:11 pm
Forgive me, I used one yesterday in the "Elvis vs Beatles cuteness" thread...but I quickly and swiftly punished myself for doing so, by smashing my fingers in the desk drawer several times.

I feel that I have taught myself a valuable lesson, and I assure you that it will be quite some time before I use an emoticon again....I hate typing with my nose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:14 pm
But but but, those of us in that thread got fractionally more nuance out of your comment than if you hadn't. She says, slickly.

I say this as one who could probably count my emoticons posted in lowing numbers, mooooooo.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:17 pm
Sometimes they just fit...a picture is worth a thousand words....type of thing.

---------

Is it Maths
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:17 pm
It's time to give it up. He says we don't rite good, and he's rite.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:19 pm
Andy, check out the "their" in aperson's profile.

Hey, aperson. We are all joking, dear, but we can be quite serious at times. That's when we need to use the emoticons.

:-P
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:20 pm
Well, mooooo, I used to be on his side. I still prefer words rather than supplied yellow blobs, but have given in, since I see their use, she says, icing the cake.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:28 pm
Ahhh. OK, Letty, I getcha now. However -- ahem -- the use of 'their' as a gender-neutral singular pronoun has become somewhat commonplace of late. It's a way of avoiding the awkward "his/her" cpnstructon. The jury is still out on just how acceptable this practice is but -- as I said -- it's become quite commonplace.

2Packs -- it's only in this benighted country that we say 'math.' It's 'maths' in most of the rest of the English-speaking world, particularly so in the UK. And 'kilometres' is also spelled properly by British standards.

Aperson, as Letty has already said we're just pulling your leg. Or having you on. As a cod. Dig?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:42 pm
I know, Andy. As we have often discussed, language is dynamic.

aperson, tell us your gender and where you are from, dear.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:45 pm
Smile Very Happy Surprised Confused Laughing Mad Razz Crying or Very sad Embarrassed

and that's all I have to say on the matter.

:wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's with all the emoticons!?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:20:36