Bosque del Apache

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:11 pm
This week (after voting out the republicans) the Lady Diane and meself are taking the RV down to Bosque del Apache to see the cranes.
Can you imagine tens of thousands of ducks, geese, and Sandhill Cranes in the air at dawn or dusk? The haunting sounds of the birds calling to each other as they swirl overhead? If you haven't experienced Bosque del Apache NWR, then you certainly must come to New Mexico.

Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge lies along nine miles of the Rio Grande River in south central New Mexico. Although the area is in the Chihuahuan desert, the refuge land along the river is lush, an oasis in an otherwise inhospitable area. Cottonwood trees, willows, wetlands, and meadows combine to create a magical place, a place the hundreds of thousands of birds call their winter home.
Bosque del Apache means "woods of the Apache," for the Indians that camped in this riverside area. This riparian habitat is home for 377 species of birds throughout the year. From tiny hummingbirds to huge Whooping Cranes, flycatchers to hawks and Bald Eagles, many people consider Bosque del Apache one of the top birding places in the United States.

Within the refuge, established in the late 1930's, a series of canals carry water from the Rio Grande to various areas in the refuge, allowing biologists to irrigate fields and flood other areas, creating shallow ponds for the ducks and geese. Water is moved from area to area to create new feeding areas as well as reduce the chances of avian cholera. Corn and alfalfa are grown on the refuge as well as in nearby fields. The farmers keep most of the crops, leaving some of the crop standing in the fields, food for the thousands of birds throughout the winter.

The success of Bosque del Apache can be measured by the Sandhill Crane population. In 1940, only 17 Sandhills spent the winter at the new refuge. Today, after years of land and water management, over 18,000 Sandhills come home to the Bosque, along with 30,000 Snow and Ross's geese and 40,000 ducks each winter. In 1999, over 60 Bald Eagles perched on the snags along with countless hawks and falcons, watching and waiting for their next meal. Hiking trails crisscross parts of the refuge, allowing fantastic views of birds, deer, coyotes, and other wildlife. You can even go birding in your car since Bosque has a series of loops through various habitats. There are numerous viewing decks that jut out into the marshes as well as a great photography blind allowing you to get some close-up photos of diving ducks. Some areas are normally closed to the public to give the birds privacy and quiet.

Each November, the Refuge hosts the Festival of the Cranes, attended by over 160,000 people in 1999.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,168 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:37 pm
Damn! I've driven down I-25 on my way from Albaturkey Airport to Las Cruces many a time and never knew the place was there, nor worth visiting. Next time, for sure.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:28 pm
Dys, that is so cool, I had no idea where Sandhill cranes overwintered. We've seen them on Manitoulin Island (Northern Ontario here in Canada) from spring through fall in the hundreds. Cattle farming is popular on the island and it's amusing to see them hanging out with the cows, neither of them too bothered by the other. They seem to like to hang out in dry areas here, in open fields rather than wetlands. Do they eat grain do you know? (They remind me of what pterodactyls must have looked like (in my imagination -- I wasn't actually around back then) and they sound eerie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:31 pm
Dys and Diane, please please please take some photos...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:13 am
Some hundred geese stay around where I live, but tenthousands are at the Lower Rhine region [around there, where we made the stop last year, dys) - saw them last September myself the first time when I went to Holland for a couple of days.

A really amazing view - hopefully to see some of your pics, dys!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:40 am
In the 4 years I lived in Santa Fe, I never made it there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:56 am
An interesting aside about the refuge is that the local farmers gorw lots of hay but between rows of hay they plant rows of corn so that when they cut the hay in the fall they leave the corn standing for the various wild birds.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:03 am
Located at the north edge of the Chihuahuan desert about 20 miles south of Socorro, New Mexico, the refuge straddles the Rio Grande and its flood plain. Almost 13,000 acres represent the active flood areas. While only receiving about 7 inches of annual rain fall, rain from other areas along the Rio Grande flood the refuge. Nine thousand acres represent flood control areas and land created by diverting the water to creative extensive wetlands, farm lands, and riparian forests. The rest of the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge consists of arid foothills and mesas rising up from 4,500 to 6,272 feet to the Chupadera Mountains on the west and the San Pascual Mountains on the east.
http://www.birdsasart.com/Bosque-sunrise-darkened-_H2D4292-Bosque-Del-Apache-NWR,-San-Antonio,-NM.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:59 am
I was in the Chupaderas with my Uncle Stash years ago. He was remapping for Helium resources (so everybody could take a hit and sound like Mini-me)
Sediments volcanics, sediments and volcanics, you can find anything from Uranium to oil there.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:01 pm
are you there yet?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:04 pm
farmerman wrote:
are you there yet?

No, i had the wrong dates, the fly-in is next wednsday/thursday.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:06 pm
Shocked YOU GOT A FLYING RV? I gotta get me one- a- them!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:07 pm
Make sure you get some helium while yer down there. You can toot songs like Mr MEETHANE
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 09:16 am
From today's Albuquerque Sunday Journal (page B1)

http://i9.tinypic.com/4cubz3m.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/2lv20eg.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/2ni63yb.jpghttp://i15.tinypic.com/4boxts8.jpg
0 Replies