Gala

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:20 pm
George, more power to ya. That is a hoot.

Mame, I bet you could use walnuts instead of pine nuts with it. Like Osso said, it sounds so good on it's own, but I bet the combination the Cornish Hen makes it even better.

Osso, I will never bake that cake, divine as it sounds. Nonetheless, I have it here on file if I ever change my mind.

Kicky, why do dogs lick their nuts? Because they (Kicky)can.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:21 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Winter greens with toasted walnuts, blue cheese, and red onion.

cjhsa, any dressing with it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:28 pm
Just what I need, another food section in another newspaper to follow, but I've been liking the Guardian's food columnists lately.

Here's a recipe with walnuts I just ran across and am planning to try, though I'd use stronger coffee myself, at least to try it. I'd have to change to american measurements, but that's easy enough.

Link -
http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/recipe/0,,2234675,00.html

Most of the parentheses in recipe are mine, in attempt to give american measurements or explanation)

Coffee & walnut pie

Dan Lepard
Saturday January 5, 2008
The Guardian

Like pecan pie, except this has spiced butter pastry and coffee syrup filling. Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream.

For the crust

100g plain flour (slightly over 1/2 cup)
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp each ground cinnamon and ginger
25g caster sugar (superfine sugar if you have it)
50g unsalted butter (approx 1 3/4 oz)
2 tbsp beaten egg

For the filling

1 tbsp instant coffee in 125ml hot water
175g golden syrup (6 oz., or 6.2 if you care)*
75g light soft brown sugar (7/8 cup, approx)
1 tbsp plain flour
50g unsalted butter, cold, cubed (approx. 1 3/4 oz)
2 large eggs, plus leftover from beaten egg above
2 tsp vanilla essence
Finely grated zest of an orange
100g shelled walnuts (pale if poss) (3 1/2 ounces)

(Honey or corn syrup can be substituted for golden syrup, though not the same flavor.)

Butter a 20cm round pie dish or fluted tart ring. Mix flour, baking powder, spices and sugar; rub in butter, stir in 2 tbsp beaten egg, mix to a soft dough and leave for two to three minutes to lose some of its stickiness. Roll out on a floured surface and line dish or tin. Whisk together coffee, golden syrup, brown sugar and flour; give a rollicking boil for two minutes, whisking all the time, till thick. Pour into a bowl, drop in butter and leave to cool until warm, then beat in eggs, vanilla and zest. Pour into the unbaked tart case, add enough walnuts so syrup comes to the top and bake at 180C (160C fan-assisted)/350F/gas mark 4 for 30-35 minutes, until puffed and wobbly set.
· Go to danlepard.com/guardian for more baking tips.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 12:21 pm
osso, yum. Pecan pie is my all time favorite so I imagine if this recipe has the same consistency it ought to be really good.

If I were making it, I might keep the orange zest out. Then again, it could be a good surprise.
0 Replies