Brine Tank "gunk"

amyrich

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:55 am
Okay...I am new to this whole water softener thing and it looks as though quite a few of you "frequent flyers" here would know the answer to this.

The brine tank is always filled with this grey gunk. Is this the brine? Is this there because there is water in the brine tank all the time?

I know that we put the salt pellets in the brine tank, but are we supposed to put water in there with the salt or does the system take care of water levels in it and such?

If I were to empty the brine tank and clean it out, I put a bag of salt in and ??? leave it?? put water in it??

Just unsure of how the whole thing works and want the water to be right!

Thanks
Amy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 677 • Replies: 3
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:59 pm
Amy, I think it's your salt.

You can dump and clean your salt tank.
Install salt blocks or pellets, just make sure they are Diamond Crystal or Morton.
http://www.athenswater.com/images/correctsalt.JPG

Add 2 or 3 gallons of soft water and your back in business Cool

HTH ~
0 Replies

stotfam5

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:39 am
brine tank
My softener does the same thing with all the excessive water in the salt tank. I read your reply about the salt tank needing cleaned out. We do this and it works for a few months then needs it again.

My question is: I have been using Diamond Crystals Iron Out for our softener, but we just got a manual for it and it says to use solar salt. What is the difference? Our water has a lot of iron in it out here, it also occasionally smells weird.
Thanks
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 01:19 pm
Re: brine tank
stotfam5 wrote:

My question is: I have been using Diamond Crystals Iron Out for our softener, but we just got a manual for it and it says to use solar salt. What is the difference?

What make is your softener?
0 Replies