Selecting a new camera

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 10:59 am
I suppose, a good monopod is fine as well.

(I use one with my D200 .... and have just comared with a friend, using a tripod and a mavica .... and me with or even without monopod. [I did photos -indoor- without flash AND monopod, 200mmm, 13 sec, example will follow. :wink:]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:11 am
http://i11.tinypic.com/4det3dx.jpg
1/15 sec, 117mm, f2.8, 800 ISO (Nikon D200, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8)
No flash, free hand.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:20 am
With a tripod, you almost have to have three hands. Wink On one of my travels, I saw a professional photographer who had two cameras hanging from his neck - one lower than the next. (Mine used to bang against each other all the time.) I've used that idea ever since, because I always carry two cameras around on my travels.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:26 am
8.2 kilos on my shoulder ... ... in a tamrak pro8 Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 01:54 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I have thought about a tripod, but I dont know how well I can get pictures of moving kiddos with it....

I get my best pictures when I am on the ground with them, or chasing them, or climbing with them.. ya know?

A tripod might keep me in one place too long

BUT- i should at least practice with one...

mmm I know what you mean - I've got one in the cupboard under the stairs but never used it! same reasons

you'd need a quick release mechanism for sure.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 04:32 pm
Absolutly.

But I got a telephoto ( spelling? ) lense that is so far great when I am moving , at catching images with little to no blur.

The only problem , to me, is that I have to be a ways away for it to work.
What I am used to is with the Mavica, being relatively close and able to stay in a zoom setting with out losing focus.

Though, the telephoto lense can correct the focus MUCH faster then the mavica... it is just a strange feeling to be so far away

Little things like that , I will get used to in time I guess.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 10:37 pm
Okay, now that shewolf has her new camera with all the bells and whistles for her needs, here's another challenge for you camera bugs. I'm looking for an all-in-one camera to take on my trips that is "relatively small" with (micro and macro) zoom and low light capabilities with enough MPGs to print 13X19 prints. How many megapixels do you think I should have, and a SLR with lens changing capabilities or a fixed lens with opitical zoom at 4X (the max I can find).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 03:16 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I also carry the Olympus Stylus 800 all-weather digital camera with 8mgp. ... snip ... The Olympus is also good for taking pictures in the dark, a nice feature for use at night.

after checking out a few options at CNET yesterday, I picked this one up for $110 Canajun today. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do for me.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:44 am
I have a head shot of myself that is over 8 Megabytes. You can zoom in and see every tiny imperfection in my face. I don't want to get that close.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:04 pm
ehBeth, Test drive your camera before you use it for the "important" pictures you wish to take. I really hard on my cameras, and have dings and scratches on all of my cameras. Take better care, and they'll perform beautifully. Let us know what you think. T.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:05 pm
ehBeth, Test drive your camera before you use it for the "important" pictures you wish to take. I'm really hard on my cameras, and have dings and scratches on all of my cameras. Take better care, and they'll perform beautifully. Let us know what you think. T.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:17 pm
i've had my litttle sony-cybershot for over a year now and i'm quite satisfied with its performance .
the biggest complaint i have is the size of the re-charger and the cable coming with it ! it takes up more space than the camera .

i usually carry the camera in a zipperd coat pocket and so far it hasn't suffered from it .
the camera case is WAY TOO BIG ! i've been looking for a small soft pouch (a leather tobacco pouch would be just right ) .
since the battery seems to be good for a couple hundred shots , i've never carried the recharger around with me . on the ship i always recharged the battery in the evening and the camera was ready for the next day - i do have a spare battery but haven't used it - i bought it because it's an odd format and i was concerned that production might cease . it's about the size of a memory stick .
hbg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:55 am
I agree with Kristian on his choice of Canon (I've owned three Canon digicams) but there are other very reputable brands. I had a Canon G3 and now own a Canon S2IS (image stabilization and beefy 12 x 36 - 432 mm zoom lens) & a Canon A610.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:15 am
As far as I remember, shewolfnm is photographing very well with her Nikon D80 since a long period by now.

(Having myself a D200 since nearly one year.)

[Good that you deleted your link, Chumly :wink: ]
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:23 am
Hi-yah Walter,
Nikon makes a great camera!

I might have gotten an SLR but I am a sucker for the image stabilization, stereo movie mode, and the smaller all-in-one-ness of the prosumer digicams.

I take a lot of motorcycle and sports car road trips and an SLR with enough gear to equal the Canon S2IS is too bulky. Gotta love the west coast of North America on a motorcycle!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:39 am
Well, that case .... I'm carrying about 7 kilos with me (nearly 16 pounds) when I go with all my lenses (which I usually do) Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:15 am
Wow, good for you, I'll bet it's great fun!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:37 am
I got used to the weight, if you mean that Laughing

(No, it's really great fun, and I don't mind carrying the bag, though it sometimes takes some 'talk' to convince peopel, e.g. at airports, that it's "only my camera".)
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:17 am
CI....re: the new camera that you want to purchase....I tried out a
Canon Powershot S80....very small, and rather expensive

Here are some of its features....

Wide-angle 28-100mm (35mm equivalent)
3.6x Optical Zoom Lens
8.0 Megapixel CCD
Full photographic control
21 shooting modes
2.5-inch Wide viewing angle LCD screen
High Resolution (1024 x 768 pixel) XGA Movie Mode

It is a lovely little camera with a fixed lens....however, I found shutter lag a problem for fast moving subjects.....such as sports events. It was amazing for every other situation. I covered the LED screen and the front with transparent film (available at photography stores).....it protects the surface from scratches.

Since I didn't want to deal with shutter lag, I reluctantly returned it, but it would have made a great second camera.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:42 am
The best low end digital cameras are the Canons, by far. Great optics, great pixel counts, great speed (no "shutter" delay). We have tried many other brands - my girls go through cameras like food.

Now, if you are going to step up to digital SLR's, then I leave the floor to others as I have little experience other than to say my friend's $5000 Nikon is really f---ing cool.
0 Replies