Another Rainsoft question for H2O_man

bfnjz52

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:00 am
Newbie here, please excuse me for not reading all the Rainsoft posts. My System died and the local Rainsoft franchise owner won't work on it any longer. They want me to buy a new system (That ain't gonna happen after all the grief they've given me over the years) Laughing

I would like to replace the existing timers and valves with something I can work on myself and keep the tanks. I'm looking for suggestions. Here's what I have:

Raw well water comes into a "Rainsoft Neutralizer", 8" x 51" tank. Interestingly the ph is 6.0 bypassing the system and 6.0 after going through the system even though Rainsoft was out in may and did a system maintenance call.

Water then goes to a "Rainsoft Iron-Sulphur" Filter, again an 8" x 51" tank, which uses manganese greensand and potassium permanganate. I would like to replace this with something different. The potassium permanganate has made such a mess in the basement I'm ashamed for anyone to see it. Dissolved iron tested at about 7 ppm. Suspended iron tested at about 1 ppm.

Water then goes to the "Rainsoft Conditioner" 8" x 51" tank with 12" x 36" brine tank. I'll need a new brine tank since the tube into the brine broke and it now picks up the grains of salt. Total grains of hardness per gallon is about 50.

We have had the system regenerating every other night.

Any thought or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,067 • Replies: 5
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 09:23 am
The first problem I see is that your Acid Neutralizer is undersized.
You need a 10 x 54 tank that holds 1.5 cu. ft. of media.
This filter needs to backwash daily and be rebedded yearly.

There is a good chance you do not need the iron/sulphur filter.
I never use them. There are better ways to deal with iron and hydrogen sulphide gas.

The softener should regenerate once or twice a week and you should use a bag or block of " RED-OUT" salt every 4th month.

I put FLECK SE valves on RainSoft tanks. The old green tanks are the best.
It involves a bit of work, but it's well worth the effort.

Are you near my service area?

HTH ~
0 Replies

bfnjz52

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:42 pm
I don't think I'm near your area, assuming you're in Georgia. I'm in Delaware.

What are your thoughts on Iron & Sulpher?

Also, I'm assuming Fleck is a brand name and SE is the model?

Thanks

Dick MacKenzie
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 05:32 pm
bfnjz52 wrote:
I don't think I'm near your area, assuming you're in Georgia. I'm in Delaware.

What are your thoughts on Iron & Sulpher?

Also, I'm assuming Fleck is a brand name and SE is the model?

Yep, I'm in Georgia Cool

I don't care for nor do I use iron/sulphur filters (Greensand and Potassium Permanganate).
IMPO there are better ways to address Iron and or Hydrogen Sulphide (sulphur).

Do you happen to have your raw water test results handy?
How much iron in ppm? What kind(s) of iron? What is the Ph of your water?

Yes, FLECK is the #1 valve manufacturer. They make valves for many big brand names including RainSoft.
These are made to the brand names buyers specifications...
I deal only with 100% FLECK factory control valves, these are the non bastardized versions.
The SE valve I use is a high flow digitally controlled valve.
These valves are awesome and my service/repair calls evaporate after the swap.

POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath. High concentrations can cause pulmonary edema.
Ingestion:
Ingestion of solid or high concentrations causes severe distress of gastro-intestinal system with possible burns and edema; slow pulse; shock with fall of blood pressure. May be fatal. Ingestion of concentrations up to 1% causes burning of the throat, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain; 2-3% causes anemia and swelling of the throat with possible suffocation; 4-5% may cause kidney damage.
Skin Contact:
Dry crystals and concentrated solutions are caustic causing redness, pain, severe burns, brown stains in the contact area and possible hardening of outer skin layer. Diluted solutions are only mildly irritating to the skin.
Eye Contact:
Eye contact with crystals (dusts) and concentrated solutions causes severe irritation, redness, blurred vision and can cause severe damage, possibly permanent.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged skin contact may cause irritation, defatting, and dermatitis. Chronic manganese poisoning can result from excessive inhalation exposure to manganese dust and involves impairment of the central nervous system. Early symptoms include sluggishness, sleepiness, and weakness in the legs. Advanced cases have shown symptoms of fixed facial expression, emotional disturbances, spastic gait, and falling.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
0 Replies

bfnjz52

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:43 pm
Here are the results from the Rainsoft analysis:
Hardness = 9 GPG
Dissolved iron = 7 PPM
There is a slimy build up in the toilet water tanks.
Suspended iron = 1 PPM
Chlorine = no
PH = 6.0
Total grains hardness per gallon = 50
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:47 pm
bfnjz52 wrote:
Here are the results from the Rainsoft analysis:
Hardness = 9 GPG
Dissolved iron = 7 PPM
There is a slimy build up in the toilet water tanks.
Suspended iron = 1 PPM
Chlorine = no
PH = 6.0
Total grains hardness per gallon = 50

Has the water been tested for bacteria?
Does your water have a rotten egg smell?

If you are free of bacteria and the smell of rotten eggs I would treat it this way:

Acid Neutralizer bedded for sediment and iron reduction. 10 x 54, daily backwash.
10 x 54 metered softener with hi-mesh resin for mineral and iron reduction.

Additional methods/equipment would be required if you have bacteria and or Hs20.
0 Replies