Nuts about Coconuts??

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:50 pm
Please tell me about your favourite coconut tips and ideas.
I enjoy fresh coconut, but don't buy it often as I get fed up having to chuck it around the patio to smash it open Shocked
When it is finally open Smile , I like to just eat it straight out the shell, or else grate it to add to rice dishes, or curries.
Coconut milk is a great standby for creating delicious coconut creme custard.
I find creamed coconut is best for curries though
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,462 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I used to live in a place in northern Brazil where I never wore a shirt or shoes and I never drank water (I drink coconut "water", in Brazil coconut "milk" is the creamed stuff).

Almost anywhere in Brazil you can buy a chilled fresh coconut. They'll open its top and put a straw in it.

I drank and ate so many coconuts that now I only like the sugary processed coconut stuff.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:07 pm
Mmm *licks lips*. I have never eaten a coconut fresh from a tree, just imported ones. Makes me think about sitting on a hammock by a beach...
I'm not a great coconut water fan, but fresh from the tree...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:09 pm
One of my favourite dinners is chicken breast cooked in Hawaiian marinade.....about fifteen minutes before it comes out of the oven, I add sun-dried tomatoes and coconut.....mmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:12 pm
Yum, tomatoes and coconut are a classic combination!
As are coconut and chocolate, mm!
I am feeling hungry!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:13 pm
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.....
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:14 pm
Rae, I didn't notice before that you live at Cocoa beach, what a lovely (and delicious!) sounding name!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:16 pm
Cocoa Beach.....ahhhhhh home! We have coconuts AND bananas growing wild here. Yum!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:18 pm
I think coconut is one of those fruits on my "not to eat" list. c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:21 pm
Good thing it's not a fruit....
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:25 pm
Sounds very nice, Rae!
Guess I'll just have to satisfy myself with Scottish raspberries and strawberries until I make it over to Florida for an A2K gathering Smile
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:28 pm
That would be lovely, ThinkZinc!

Oh yeah ~ sliced strawberries with that chicken dish is wonderful, too!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:36 pm
green curry - probably my favourite use of any coconut product <sigh>

http://www.e-lopers.com/community_thai.htm
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:53 pm
I've got a lovely bunch of ...

beth,...Green Curry Duck,..mmmmmm,...my FAVORITE food!!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:25 pm
Check out this website for recipes and tips for opening coconuts.

Recipes and Native Coconut Foods

Quick way to crack open a coconut:

Hold coconut over a bowl in one hand such that the "midriff" rests in the middle of your palm, with the tip on one end and the eyes on the other.
Whack the coconut with the back (that is to say the blunt of the cleaver a few times all around the center until it cracks open cleanly into two nearly equal halves. Make sure you use the blunt side of the cleaver.
Catch the juice in the bowl as it drains from the cracks.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:34 am
You can also smack it pretty hard against the riser of a concrete step. That works too.

I once spent 10 days on a Pacific Island, their only source of outside income was copra. Man, you can eat a lot of coconut there!

Funny thing is my favs were young coconut, juice is great and you can eat the beginning of the white meat- it's sort of a slippery jelly. When the coconut has sprouted and the sprout is about a foot long you can yank it off the nut, peel off the outer leaf and eat the central shoot. THEN you can split open the nut, the juice has by then been converted into a gooey sweet mass.

You can bake them too. Yummy.

The Islanders favourite relish was made by emptying a mature nut of juice, filling it with coconut meat, some chillies and filling it with salt water and letting the whole thing ferment in the sun. Revolting, if you want to know - but very popular there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:40 am
The instructions here for "opening" a coconut are for coconuts when 99.9999% of the work is done. Try it when it has the husk. :-)

Mr Stillwater,

I love the sprout. The only thing better than that is copra that has dried inside the nut, absorbing all the water. In that state the meat is more grey than white.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:41 am
What about Thai red curry crab?

Loooooooots of coconut in that recipe!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:46 am
Craven , I also got to try cocoa beans. The seeds are in a husk filled with a sticky, sweet jelly (common thread here).

The funny thing was that the orange trees that had been planted years before and abandoned were absolutely HUUGE!! And the fruit had reverted to a dry flesh with no juice or sweetness.
0 Replies