Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:13 pm
I've seen it too...

Double shite!

x
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:21 pm
The Departed
I'm with eoe on The Departed. I think there was a lot of gratuitous violence in the film. Two thousand, five hundred years ago, The Greeks had of violence in their plays. but it was off stage.
The audience heard the sounds of violence and saw the effect of the violence. An example of this is when Oedipus, upon learning he had married his mother, screams off stage, and then enters with a bloody broach in each hand and his eyes torn out.

The Romans adapted the Greek plays to their liking and put all the violence they wanted right on the stage. After all, they thrived on Gladiator contests, live men killing other live men. Like Snuff Films.

We follow Roman tradition in that regard. The bloodier, the better.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:36 am
Snuff films are an urban legend.

And these things (Goodfellas, Departed, etc) are based on things that actually happened. (the departed and other stories not really but meaning people actually did things like that) So we don't follow Roman tradition...we follow life.

Not that it makes it right. Just pointing it out. Smile
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:41 am
I think Billy Falcon means we follow Roman tradition in a dramatic sense. The dramatization of stories, real or not, for the theatre / cinema.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:42 am
My bad. Very Happy
0 Replies