XP-Pro vs Media Center

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:11 am
I'm shopping for a new computer and need to choose between XP-Pro and Media Center. XP Pro is about $100 more than media center. What would I get for the extra $100 and is it worth the difference?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,310 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:19 am
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=92493&messageID=1054084

Quote:
Direct from Microsoft
Unfortunately, Microsoft's website does not answer this question directly, but hopefully you'll find the following excerpt helpful:

"While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logins) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your login username/password to access network resources after a reboot or logging back into the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included."

Damned if I know what that means, but maybe you can figure it out. Apparently, the main difference is that XP media center is meant for home use, and does not have some of the features that would be important in an office setting.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:41 am
Thanks for the link Phoenix, interesting discussion (that I semi-understand). After reading all 50 posts in that thread I came to this one posted two days ago

Quote:
not pro anymore

from what i understand now is that mce used to run off of xp pro but does not anymore and now runs on home, another thing is that media center used to be more expensive than pro and now it is cheaper than pro but still more expensive than home http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=92493&messageID=2302220

I don't know if this is true but I think I need XP Pro to handle the business applications that I run (SAS, Oracle, etc).

Does anyone know if Media Center is piggybacked to XP Home or Pro?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:45 am
Have you checked out Tandy, J_B?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:46 am
This thing has J_B written all over it...

http://www.weller.to/wcc/trs/wcctaniii01l.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:46 am
(Oh, ****... I think I am in the process of destroying another thread)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:48 am
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_mce2005.asp
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:01 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
(Oh, ****... I think I am in the process of destroying another thread)

What good is a pitchfork if you don't use it to spread ****?

You use the tools you have.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:04 am
Thanks, Intrepid. Man, that was LONG! It was written in 2004 and seems to be focused on the multi-media improvements over previous versions for home use such as movies, digital cameras, etc.

This is a business machine that will never (I should never say never) be used for family entertainment but I don't want to spend an extra $100 bucks for Pro for no reason. Pro seems to offer better networking which is not an issue for me, but I don't know if that's the only advantage for Pro over MC for a business machine.

Thanks, gus. I thought it was about time I replaced my Commodore 64, I'll stop by Radio Shack the next time I'm at the mall. Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:08 am
I have Media center, fine for my needs.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 09:45 am
Maybe Microsoft can explain it better

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:56 am
JPB, if you're looking at near-term acquisition of a new machine, the one thing I'd look for would be the "Windows Vista Ready" sticker. As for Media Center vs Pro, I'll say that if the machine is for business/commercial work, largely or exclusively, and you're your own IT department, at least one of your machines should be XP Pro (though in a pinch Win2K can be pretty much be made to do all that's likely to be need done). Media Center is nothing more than XP Home with a few cute media-freindly overlays and all the shortcomings of XP Home, while nothing Media Center does can't be done as well or better by XP Pro with appropriate hardware and/or software.

Also to be considered is upgrade path - the higher up the ladder you start, the less climb you face when it comes time to move up - that will be true both from a financial standpoint and from a learning-curve standpoint.

On the other hand, if you farm out your thornier IT issues, and networking isn't that big a deal for you, then you don't hurt yourself much in the near term by going with Home or Media Center. Bear in mind, however, the future is gaining on us faster than we realize. Thinking ahead frequently prevents looking back in anquish.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:07 pm
Intrepid, thanks.. I read through it and I think I'm leaning toward XP Pro.

Timber, the machine I'm currently using runs XP Pro (2002) but I'll be turning it over to the kids for homework and as a backup, should I need one. Everything I've seen for MC leads me to believe that it's primarily intended as a home entertainment OS.

Yeah, we're looking at Vista Ready systems, although I hate installing anything new from Microsoft. My other machines run RedHat Linux and we use unix-based software wherever possible. I need one Windows box for specific uses and platforms, but I hate giving them more $$$ than I have to.

I'll probably bit the bullet and go with XP Pro - now I just have to convince Mr B.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm
I think that is a good choice.
0 Replies