The fruit Durian

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:30 am
The durian (IPA: [duɾiɑn]) is the fruit of trees of the genus Durio. There are 30 recognised Durio species, all native to southeastern Asia and at least nine of which produce edible fruit.[1] Durio zibethinus is the only species available in the international market; other species are sold in their local region. The durian fruit is distinctive for its large size, unique and to some overpowering odour, and a formidable thorn-covered husk. Its name comes from the Malay word duri, meaning "thorn".[2]

The fruit can grow up to 40 cm long and 30 cm in diameter, and typically weighs one to five kg. Its shape ranges from oblong to round, the colour of its husk green to brown and its flesh pale-yellow to red, depending on species. The hard outer husk is covered with sharp, prickly thorns, while the flesh within emits a strong, distinctive odour. Some regard this odour as fragrant while others find it overpowering or offensive. The custard-like flesh is eaten and, when cooked, the seed as well.

Travel and food writer Richard Sterling described Durian as "pig-****, turpentine and onions garnished with a gym sock" while the novelist Anthony Burgess wrote that "dining on durian is like eating vanilla custard in a latrine."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,441 • Replies: 13
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 11:08 am
Its like finely textured rioadkill a few days in a Louisiana raiiny season. I only saw one being eaten once and it really stank. The people in Bangalulu thought it marvelous.

It imparts a fetid smell to everything and everyone around it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 11:20 am
i will try any type of food once, i have tried this fruit once, and never again
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
say...did you just take a dump or is that a durian in your pocket?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 11:54 am
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/6/6c/Durian-verbot.jpg
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:00 pm
Is it true that's the one fruit they won't allow on planes?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:09 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Is it true that's the one fruit they won't allow on planes?

That's from where that sign above is originally.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 01:59 pm
I feel the same about paw paw.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 02:04 pm
Has anyone ever smelled an over ripe guava? It's something like a hunk of linburger cheese wearing dirty socks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
I perfer the fruit of the tomato.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 02:14 pm
dyslexia wrote:

You perfer tomatoes?

I am SO sure that is illegal in at least five states! Soon to be followed by Colorado....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 02:15 pm
dyslexia wrote:

i prefer catsup (or ketchup)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 04:15 pm
<reviving this delicious thread with a durian cake recipe.. from a really good (usually) blog>
Durian Bavarian Cream Cake

0 Replies

Ross Genger

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 06:09 pm
i taught public school for 2 years in malaysia and though initially difficult to eat, durian becomes addicting psychologically after a month or several successful dining experiences. No one leaves the rinds in the house or hotel room. You'll see them, in hallways in Singapore hotels. Even if you love them, the odor is still better elsewhere. peace. Ross
0 Replies