z31 turbo kit

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 04:09 pm
I have a z31 300zx non turbo and i want to install a turbo kit in it, but im afraid there is no room for such. Could i just install a turbo an d a few other things minus the piping?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,269 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:58 pm
Nissan made a turbo Z31 so there must be room. If you install a turbo without piping... the turbo isn't going to do anything.

Easiest method would probably be to swap the motor for a VG30ET from the turbo model.
0 Replies

rollthemouse

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 03:48 pm
By piping i mean intercooler piping. I know that the z32 doesnt have an intercooler, so what does it use? Could i just stick the turbo between my intake pipe and call it good?
Thank you for the suggestion.
0 Replies

twiceasfastasyou

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
If I remember correctly, yes, the Z32 does have intercooler setups. They are side-mounted into the skirts of the car, double because the VG30DETT engine is twin-turbo'd. The Z31 turbo (VG30ET) does not come with any intercooler setup, and the turbo is usually running at a max of 7psi boost, as set per wastegate. Once you start to tweak the setup by merely adding a boost controller, changing the wastegate settings, etc., and hit around 10psi of boost, its recommended to use an intercooler at this point. This webpage shows you all the various ways you could make a custom intercooler setup on a Z31, just remember, creativity and money is your limit...

http://www.redz31.com/turbofaq/intercoolers.html

Also note, because you are using a naturally aspirated version of the VG30E engine, your compression ratio is different to the turbo engine, i believe the ratio is 9:1, as compared to the turbo 7:8:1 ratio. This means although the N/A could probably react better to higher amounts of boost, it cant handle it without detonating, and this kills engines very fast. Thus, if your thinking of going beyond 14psi boost, i would really recommend getting forged connecting rods, a new cam, gutting the intake plenum, etc., so that the engine will support the large amount of boost.

dont forget to upgrade your fuel system and ECU to adjust to forced induction...

good luck!
0 Replies

twiceasfastasyou

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 03:28 pm
rollthemouse wrote:
By piping i mean intercooler piping. I know that the z32 doesnt have an intercooler, so what does it use? Could i just stick the turbo between my intake pipe and call it good?
Thank you for the suggestion.

your turbo setup would consist of the turbo manifold, turbo, then the compressor side to the charge pipe, then to your throttlebody valve. From the turbo also goes the exhaust side connecting to the downpipe, connecting to a cat, and then of course your muffler assembly, etc.

some people have external wastegates that go in the turbo manifold, if necessary.

the charge pipe replaces your intake pipe altogether, but you can re-use a cone filter that was once on the intake pipe for the intake side of the turbo.

if you buy a T25/T3 turbo (garrett, not anything else), then yes you can stay at around 6-7 psi (if the wastegate is set at that), and run no type of intercooler on it.
0 Replies