Cost of buying a car

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:49 pm
You are in the market to buy a car.
How much would you be prepared to payfor a car?
A new Caddy or BMW costs a great many thousands. But you have the money or else your employer has. The moment you take the car on the road it begins to lose money, but it might make the folks next door green with envy. It might attract the attention of crooks who will try and steal it. Maybe a drunk driver will redesign your pride and joy for you. Shorten the wheelbase or lower the roof line. All of these things cause grief and heartache plus your time and money. Insurance not withstanding, car ownership can be a major trauma.
So why not buy something cheap and cheerfull. Recently my old car was trashed by would be thieves and had to be replaced. The insurance ran one of their we aren't paying scams past me, so money was tight.
I bought a Nissan Bluebird for £400, about $600. 12 years old, 96,000 miles on the sundial. Bodywork tidy. The electrics work fine, as does power steering, brakes and auto transmission. It starts 1st time on the key and i'll cruise at 80 plus on the hiway and is rock steady. What more can I want.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,729 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:53 pm
A Volvo?

j/k... my daughter has a Nissan Altima and loves it a lot. I don't know what a Bluebird is. Hers is a 4-door... uhhh... sedan. It's black. I suppose yours is blue?

Seriously, I'm with you. Can't stand spending loads of money on a car. We've bought two new ones over the years. What a waste of money! They got old and dirty just like the used cars we've bought. The best car of all, we've found, the very cheapest and easiest to run is (Ta Da) a company car. If you can ever find one of those, get it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:28 pm
I have a 1995 Lexus ES300 with about 50,000 miles on it. It's so common around here in Silicon Valley, it's no big deal for thieves. Although it's nine years old, it still looks like 'new.' I wash and wax it regularly. It's a quiet ride, so I love it. I'm planning on keeping it until I add another 50,000 miles on it - I should live so long. After retirement, I'm lucky to add 6,000 miles every year. c.i.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:41 pm
Bought my 1995 Saturn used. It had 14K miles on it. Four years later, I'm just about ready to turn 90K miles with only one clutch repair.

Couldn't be happier.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 10:54 pm
There is only one way to figure the cost of owning a car.

When you're through with it, HOW MUCH DID IT COST YOU PER MILE?

Cost of car, fuel, repairs and maintenance DIVIDED BY MILES DRIVEN.

I eliminate insurance and finance charges because they are personal choices.

Our 1989 Dodge Caravan with 238,000 miles and our 1996 VW Passat TDI with 220,000 miles don't owe us much.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 10:55 pm
There is only one way to figure the cost of owning a car.

When you're through with it, HOW MUCH DID IT COST YOU PER MILE?

Cost of car, fuel, repairs and maintenance DIVIDED BY MILES DRIVEN.

I eliminate insurance and finance charges because they are personal choices.

Our 1989 Dodge Caravan with 238,000 miles and our 1996 VW Passat TDI with 220,000 miles don't owe us much even though theye were purchased new.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:08 pm
BillyFalcon, You failed to mention how much it cost per mile for each car. c.i.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:03 am
Billy, You eliminate insurance? One must have liability insurance here, and it's not a personal choice.

er, Oakman. 80 miles an hour? I'll bet that blows out the carbon in the tale pipe.

I had a friend once who bought a new car from a dealer in Virginia, and had nothing but problems. The manager of the dealership didn't want to honor certain guarantees, so the guy took it to a paint shop and had a huge, neon yellow lemon painted on the driver's side. That seemed to resolve the problems rather quickly. Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:06 am
I've got in excess of 160,000 miles on the jeep, my Oul' Bessie . . . and if she knows what's good for her, she'll run for another 160,000 . . .
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:59 am
Yeah Letty, and fresh air thru my head and the music wound up.

Set. I bet your Oul Bessie don't dare argue with you man, or she'll be real history in the crusher down the old car yard.

Piff, my Bluebird is silver, except for the paint job the birds gave it.
0 Replies