Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:26 pm
if you were spending 5 days (weekdays) in Boston - what would you do? Where would you eat? What MUST you do? What would you skip?

Thanks in advance for all responses!

Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,403 • Replies: 18
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:49 pm
Hello Paleobarbie! (interesting name, sort of like Daryl Hana as an early homosapien....?). Welcome to a2k. I'm sure you'll get a good many responses about Boston.

Are you here on a working vacation? Will you have only evenings to explore or all day? What time of year? With friends/family or solo?

The big tourist things to do are:

~ Go to the North End for some good Italian food and festivities.
~ Take a Duck Tour (amphibious vehicles).
~ Shop on Boylston Street (Is it Boylston?).
~ See a show at one of the many theaters in the theater district or the symphony.
~ Eat at a clam shack
~ Eat and drink at an Irish Pub.

..... what am I missing.....?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:51 pm
Things like walking the Freedom Trail and touring Lexington/Concord are the standard "must do's" if it's a first trip to Boston.

Beyond those, it would depend on where your interests lie.. What do you enjoy? Art? Sciences? History? Sports?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:52 pm
littlek wrote:
~ Shop on Boylston Street (Is it Boylston?).

Newbury St. is the biggie no??
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:59 pm
That's it, Newbury - thanks fishin....

I agree that historic Lexington and Concord are a good side trip if you have a car at your disposal. Concord was home to a great many authors as well as a major site in the battle against the British Redcoats for our independence.
0 Replies

paleobarbie

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:41 pm
fishin' wrote:

Beyond those, it would depend on where your interests lie.. What do you enjoy? Art? Sciences? History? Sports?

all of the above
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:04 pm
Go to Hav'd Square, and mingle with the future captains of industry and our government. The Freedom Trail is a must. When you visit Cheers, say hi to Norm for me. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:50 pm
Hi paleobarbie! :-D

Try the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum for a very different art experience. You can just take the green line trolley (E line) to the Ruggles stop and walk behind the Museum of Fine Arts (which is great museum, too, just more conventional than the Gardener). The Gardener is very, very different and great all year 'round.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:27 pm
Well, if you are in town and do the Freedom Trail or Duck Tour thing during the day you could take in a play in the Theatre district in the evening.. Maybe hit one of the little cafe/resturants in the North End.

Cambridge (just across the river from the North End) has the Museum of Science as well as Harvard Univ. and MIT (and quite a few resturants in it's own right..).

The New England Aquarium is down on the waterfront (lotsa cute penguins! Wink ) and they have Boston Harbor and Whale watching tours that launch from right beside the Aquarium.

The Freedom Trail covers most of the better known historical sites but there are some lesser know places too. The Union Oyster House where we had one of our A2K gatherings is the oldest tavern still in operation in the US.

If you do get out toward Concord/Lexington there is Walden Pond of Emerson fame as well as a replica of his cabin and a house that he lived in for a few years as a child.

If a car is available then a day trip down to the Cape Cod shoreline might not be to far fetched... (This really depends on which days you'd want to do it. Friday and Sunday trips to/from the Cape during the summer are just a bad idea from a traffic perspective...)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:35 pm
Yes, go to the Union Oyster House for a meal. It's the oldest restaurant in the US. Our visit to Boston and New England was couple of decades ago, but I still remember our walking the Freedom Trail and our dinner at the Union Oyster House. If you read something on Paul Revere, the North Church, and Old Ironsides, you'll enjoy your visit much more. c.i.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:13 pm
Take a walk along the Charles, Storrow Drive. Visit Old Ironsides. Ride a swan boat in the Public Gardens.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:47 am
Let's see -

Breakfast - Charlies in the South End on Mass. Ave.

From there one can stroll over to Prudential Center - Lots of shops -

jump on the greenline to the Museum of Fine Arts - great permanent collection of John Singer Sargent.

back on the greenline to Downtown Crossing to Filene's Basement.

Dinner - Jimmy's Harborside for the most fabulous seafood in town.

enjoy
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 04:58 am
Boston online

http://www.boston-online.com/
0 Replies

paleobarbie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:28 pm
these suggestions are all great. I have been to the gardener museum beforee - its is fab!

Do the seafood restaurants have other menu items?

Thank you all for your time!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:07 am
Hey!

How come no-one mentioned the Hat shell, Hatched Hell, Hash Ell, Hashel or whatever - I thought that was the most important place in Boston. You could post on Abuzz and ask what time the performances are! Razz
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:38 pm
Run! Flee for your life! It's the Half-Shell!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:59 pm
If one had gone to the Hatch Shell last night they could have seen "Blondie" (Debbie Harry, etc..) playing for free! lol
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:32 am
lol! What do you want for free?

Great suggestions by all...I cant think of anything missed just yet

ah wait....rent a car and navigate through the Big Dig...you should see all kinds of interesting things Wink Actually...they're prolly still doing tours..it could be interesting, I guess.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:48 am
Sports fan? Fenway park is great during the summer.

And if you like real Chinese food, hit East Ocean City in Chinatown. Spicy salted squid(fried calamari) is one of the best dishes I've ever had...and they have good seafood, take the fish right from the tanks. One of my favorite places. Everyone I've introduced that place to ends up going back. Then you're walking distance to the Boston Common, Boylston, and Newbury St.

Steak...Grille 23 off of Boylston, or Capital Grille in Newbury.

Great sangria+pretty good tapas style Spanish food at Tapeo's on Newbury, and Dali in Somerville.

Fanueil Hall. Bars, stores, restaurants.
0 Replies