If I said that I was thirteen would anyone care?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:33 am
aperson wrote:
but at least I can do the basic task of spelling words correctly.

Perhaps you could work on grammar and respect.

~~~
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:58 am
I've always been fairly able in spelling, though I've made enough typos on a2k to feed an army. A new thing I learned since I've been on a2k is that when typing fast I make primitive errors such as here for hear, and there for they're - words of which I know the distinctions, words that in any case the spellchecker won't pick up. When I was younger I equated people who spelled poorly with people of lower 'smarts'. One of my cousins was a horrible speller.

She found out rather late that she was/is dyslexic. In the meantime, she got a perfect score on the math part of the SAT test, and that made me rethink. I learned through the years that some of the smartest people are not good at spelling, whether or not they have dyslexia. We all have different kinds of brains. That cousin made it, made it well, through university by primarily using tape recorders to learn course material, combined with reading, which was difficult for her.

One of the smartest folks on a2k spells badly, or seems to - but in fact he has a bit of a mangled hand and doesn't bother to correct what others can figure out.

And finally I arrived at a further epiphany, that spelling doesn't matter one whit in the scheme of things. People's hearts do. Arrogance is as bad a trait of the heart, from you or me, as bad spelling is of the brain any day. Amigo, for example, is well regarded here for his heart, his thoughts, his creative mind.

I'll admit I hate text messaging type spelling on a forum, but I'm getting less ferocious about it. I still think a forum is an inappropriate place to use it, but now see it as a language of its own, a language usually of youth, and that it is here to stay, at least for a while.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:02 am
ossobuco wrote:
I'll admit I hate text messaging type spelling on a forum, but I'm getting less ferocious about it. I still think a forum is an inappropriate place to use it, but now see it as a language of its own, a language usually of youth, and that it is here to stay, at least for a while.

wut do u meen?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:06 am
o no, u 2?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:40 am
How are the mighty fallen!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:46 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Aperson--

Is this a hill you want to die on?

Ooh! Ooh! There's one for the sigline thread! Cool
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:20 pm
Obviously I am digging myself a hole here.

Time to back away...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:41 pm
Not Really...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 09:07 pm
Not at all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:28 pm
Back away, don't flee.

You win some, you lose some, and you have a few draws.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:37 pm
aperson wrote:
Obviously I am digging myself a hole here.

Time to back away...

No need to back away. Just wave the shovel in a menacing fashion.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 03:57 pm
I think the way she tied a white rag to the shovel is very effective.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:54 am
Is this "aperson" still thirteen or has there been a birthday in the meantime?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:56 am
I'm a he thank you very much.

And don't expect any respect from me. It's not a matter of arrogance... well it is. Basically, I'm not here to say "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir." I say that enough at school. When I'm here, I am your equal, no matter what my age is. That's why I came here in the first place - to discuss philosophy and matters of high thought as an equal with adults! I can't do that with my peers. Do you really want to take that away from me? At least I had that when I was truly anonymous. Maybe I should have never revealed my age in the first place...
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:58 am
Bloddy hell what's up with you?

Moody!
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:59 am
"this "aperson"" is 15 from january.

If you don't know me maybe you should read some of my posts before dismissing me as an insolent teenager (teenager carries a very negative air about it - one of stupidity, disrespect and recklessness.)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:01 am
only if you let it...
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:02 am
Hey hey hey aperson,

U got me all wrong.

I have read some of your posts which I found interesting so I thought I would "check in" on your thread.

No need to be so defensive, I aint judged you about anything.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 01:04 am
Don't recall dismissing you as an insolent teenager but think I might now!!!!

Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 10:49 am
If you really want to play in the big leagues and be treated as an equal by adults, you'll have to stop all this nonsense, aperson. Forget the self-consciousness and the arrogance and cut to the chase. Adults don't have the time or the patience for that stuff.

What is it you want to discuss?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 06:11:05