If I said that I was thirteen would anyone care?

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:36 am
I have to side a bit with Chai on this. I would treat you differently, however, not out of disrespect or because I your thoughts and ideas did not matter, but more what is appropriate for a 13 year old. And to give you the benefit of my experience something that no matter how mature and intelligent, cannot be replaced.

On the positive side, I love children and teenagers and realize often times, they have insight that adults do not or have forgotten. I can tell you that my own children teach me new things every day. It is wonderful to see things from a younger person's eyes. A 13 year old could also give me insight to see things from my children's point of view. So no matter the age, we can all teach and give insight.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:57 am
Intelligent conversation can come from anyone, depending the topic. I wouldn't expect you to be able to speak intelligently on things you don't understand or know about yet given your age but I could expect you to have something valuable to say about lots of other things.

It goes for anyone. Many of the older members here lived through things I can't understand or really know about and I am well past 13. It's just that with time comes experience.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:12 am
Linkat wrote:
I would treat you differently, however, not out of disrespect or because I believed your thoughts and ideas did not matter...

...And to give you the benefit of my experience something that no matter how mature and intelligent, cannot be replaced.

That's a perfect way to put it.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:16 am
I wish I'd had the Internet when I was younger. I had so many questions. I could have learned so much.

It seems to me that adults in my day, in my world, did sort of have a secret society. They would say no harm against another.

Now that I am older, I have reconnected with some teachers from 30 years ago, and I got the low down about other teachers and such from an extremely weird private school I went to.

Same thing about the church I attended.

And, I bet if I found some of my parents' associates from those days, I might find more insight into my parents, too.

I certainly could have used the fine, helpful, informative, wise folks here at Able2Know to shed some truth and light on my circumstances.

Anyway, just lamenting the lost years, trying to figure things out on my own . . .
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:52 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I was wearing special glasses to penetrate the fogs and rains.....and stuff.

I gotta get a pair of those rose-coloured glasses. Where'd you buy yours? Do they have clip-ons for those of us that already wear specs?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:02 am
Quote:

I was thirteen.

I am 36.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:02 pm
I think knowing a person's age always matters.

I try to evaluate what people write based in part on their age. For example, if someone posts something immature on the Relationships forum and I know they're only 18, I'm inclined to be much more tolerant than if I know they're 45. I could go on....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:43 pm
A few people have rocked my preconceptions on all this. Craven, of this site, is one but not the only one.

Many many people were plenty smart in their teens and could argue older people off the court.

Maturity, another question. But we are all grappling with maturity on any given day. (That not said re Craven, who has at least sometimes - back at his youngest - seemed starkly mature to me, if not always. Never mind anyone's view of my own maturity.)

So, I don't judge by age, or try not to. Ability to argue and or debate (I don't have this myself), sensitivity to the nuances of human distress and joy, ability to see beyond self...
these matters vary.

The same thing happens at the other end of the age spectrum. People with years are often dismissed, perhaps less so now than some immediately prior years.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:45 pm
Yes, Dupre, I get you on that.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 02:23 am
Well I suppose you'd treat me differently if I said I was Hindu, or suffering severe depression, or North Korean, or anything. Part of how you treat people depends on who the people are.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 04:32 am
DrewDad wrote:
Quote:

I was thirteen.

I am 36.

good point

anybody over the age of 14 could ask the same question

your response reminds me of an exercise a creative writing teacher used one time, it it helped illustrate perception over expectation

he would casually ask the students this question, if you had three things name them, some people stared blankly, a few got it, but most, expecting the question to be, (or subliminaly hearing it as) if you could have three things, got it completely wrong

i too was 13

sadly and at the same time happily i am no longer
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:05 am
Well, if you were 13, yes I would. If it weren't the internet, I could get an idea of from your body and mannerisms. An idea.

I'd be less inclined to bite your head off if you are 13, no matter how quackedout you act. Tolerance, as mac mentioned. If at 45 you are still acting like a quackedout, you'd get a lot less of my time.

Part of it too is being able to try and accurately guage what a person's abilities are. There is only so much one can tell from words. Some who I perceive as highly intelligent online I might find dull in rl bc I can only go by the information they present to me. A misrepresentation of a child or teen, by not mentioning their age or lying, really gets me mad. There are certain things that I would rather keep to myself in that company.

And I've seen it on other boards where a very bright member, who say has dyslexia or some other situation (severe anxiety even) that shows up onscreen, is treated as a younger or less intelligent member because of it. Even accused of lying.

Weird, perceptions are.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:43 pm
Sorry to bump this thread, but I've decided to come forward: I was 13 at the time of writing this thread, I now am 15.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:07 am
Aperson--

I think we guessed--but isn't it nice to be out of the closet! Welcome.!
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
Yes it's good to get a breath of fresh air.

I saw no sign of people guessing my age without stupidly obvious hints that I have inserted here and there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 09:24 am
Aperson--

On the Internet it doesn't matter if you are a dog.

Your Rep on A2K has little to do with chronological age and much to do with mental maturity.

Why are you feeling a little tremulous right now?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 10:22 am
actaully without the use of thumbs being a dog on A2K would be quite remarkable... the typing and all...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 11:02 am
I do it every day. Voice (bark) recognition, baby!

Arf!
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:08 pm
Hm? Tremulous? Sorry, how am I being tremulous?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:15 pm
Quote:
Sorry to bump this thread, but I've decided to come forward: I was 13 at the time of writing this thread, I now am 15.

You weren't happy with the apparent status quo, so you pushed open the closet door and strolled out to see what would happy.

Why were you discontented with the status quo?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 10:51:54