Water Softener Salt

angie06

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:17 pm
Based on what I've read in this forum, (and because I just cleaned a hard as concrete, huge clump of salt out of the brine tank), I've decided to switch from salt pellets to blocks of salt. The only problem I have is how do I drop the 50# block into the brine tank without doing any damage? I have checked with Lowes, Home Depot and Menards to see if any of them sell some type of "strap" or "belt" that you wrap around the block of salt to lift it and *gently* drop it in the brine tank. Does anyone know if they make such a thing and where I can buy it? I don't think it matters but I have an older (1979) Rainsoft System.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,001 • Replies: 5
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:24 pm
Don't drop'em! :wink:

You are on the right track looking for a belt like tool for the job.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/correctsalt.JPG

If you have a stand alone salt tank you can tip the tank toward yourself and gently slide the first one in, holes on the sides.
Now you can stack the blocks for a total of 4.

I advise my clients not to check the tank monthly and add another block as soon as it will fit.
This lets you put one block on top of 3. No bending over or risk of dropping it into a pool of salt water.
If you drop the salt block you risk cracking the container. If this happens you must replace the container.

HTH ~
0 Replies

angie06

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:04 am
Thank you H2O_Man. If no one posts where to buy some kind of belt, I'll try your suggestion.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:12 am
Hey, H2OMan, I was told by a water-softener guy that if you use pellets, stay with pellets, and if you use crystals, stay with crystals. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but he claims to be the professional.

I kind of like that idea of switching to blocks. So it should be no problem? Regardless of the unit?
0 Replies

angie06

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:10 pm
H2O_Man.......one other question please. You said to put the salt blocks in with "the holes on the side". Is there a reason for this other than it makes it easier to put the blocks in? Our salt tank opening is 10" x 10". I haven't bought the salt blocks yet as I was waiting to see if I could find a belt, but by looking at the picture of the salt blocks you posted, I don't think they will fit in our tank with the holes on the side. Thanks in advance H20_Man.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:44 pm
I'm used to working with 14 x 14 tanks.
You can't do as I suggested.

A nylon nelt will work.
Some clients use synthetic rifle slings.

HTH ~
0 Replies