So I Pull Out Onto the Main Street . . .

Intrepid

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 07:34 pm
Damn young whippersnappers!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 07:41 pm
What the young don't always know is, a lot of older persons are physically able. I don't say this to boast, but I still work my job at a pace that runs the younger guys ragged. The trick is to keep up the pace as you age, for, if you let yourself go, you will begin to become less fit in a short order.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:45 am
All the more reason to go out and get that video camera phone you always wanted but really couldnt justify. Video the idiot, then call the cops, if the cops dont react release the video to the media.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:16 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I normally have it under control. This day was a bit of an abberation for me.

Same here. I usually am ok, until someone does something which almost sends me into a ditch or over a cliff.
Unfortunately, I attract all of the worst drivers and the ones who don't know that opening your car door on a main drag, without so much as looking, is just plain stupid.
I live in the country, where there isn't very much traffic. If you see 3 cars in a row go by, it's rush hour.
I'll be the only car on the road for miles, but every idiot in my area decides to cut me off anyway.
I use to love going for drives on a nice day, but I think it's safer for me to stay off the road Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:05 am
djjd62 wrote:
young kids should be able to protect themselves against old farts out for a sunday drive

they should all get ak47's with their drivers permits

Well, this is Texas after all....

Edgar, I'd say your anger is perfectly valid, as they were endangering you and your wife.

Personally, however, I prefer to drive more slowly when someone tailgates. Speeding up just encourages them.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:32 am
DrewDad
I do the same thing. Someone gets on my ass, they better be ready to pass, because that's when I take my foot off the gas ;-)

They never ever stay there long and it works every time :-D
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:59 pm
Montana wrote:
DrewDad
I do the same thing. Someone gets on my ass, they better be ready to pass, because that's when I take my foot off the gas ;-)

They never ever stay there long and it works every time :-D

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Embarrassed Oh, I missed the car part....sorry Embarrassed
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 01:01 pm
Ya'll lucky not to be in Oklahoma. Some people have bumper stickers that say, "If you can read this, you're too close." In Oklahoma, it says "If you can't read his odometer, you are too far away."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:55 pm
When someone gets too close, I put it on speed control. That way, I can relax my gas pedal foot and not unconsciously start speeding up.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:56 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
When someone gets too close, I put it on speed control. That way, I can relax my gas pedal foot and not unconsciously start speeding up.

When I get too close, I put on the brake. Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:49 pm
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

When I get too close, I put on the brake. Razz

Um. Yeah . . . So do I.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:50 pm
See! We can agree! Laughing Cool
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:51 pm
Intrepid wrote:
See! We can agree! Laughing Cool

Gee, intrepid; don't we always agree about everything?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:52 pm
Oh, man. That's my favorite thing to do. When someone gets on my bumper that means it's coasting time!

Another favorite is to get right next to someone else who's going the same speed as me, making it impossible for Speed-Racer to get around us. I love it. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:00 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Personally, however, I prefer to drive more slowly when someone tailgates. Speeding up just encourages them.

As long as I'm in the right hand lane, I just ignore them, and just maintain my speed. I'll even flip up the rear view mirror to the night position so I don't have to look at them.

When it's heavy traffic and someone does that, and they pass, get in front of me, then has to slam on the brakes because the driver from his seat 8 feet in the air couldn't see past my almost 5 foot tall corolla, and notice that the cars 30 starting feet in front of me and for the next mile were driving 10 miles an hour....I just laugh and laugh.

What is the deal with braking ever 10 seconds?

Edgar, I'm glad those kids got alarmed.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:01 pm
I has a similar experience to edgar's just a couple of weeks ago.

I, too, had just pulled onto the highway and sped up when I saw a white car approaching from behind. The white car, like edgar's, contained three teenagers.

As they made their move to pass me, I made a sudden swerve to the left and forced them off the road and over the edge of the cliff. I could hear their screams all the way up to the point that their car exploded in flames at the base of the cliff.

Then.... blissful silence.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:04 pm
I endeavor to stay at the same speed instead of speeding up or slowing, unless, ahem, and it's rare... that I am at fault re the speed zone. Slowing down only pisses people off even more, which is flirting with road ragers.

I tend to speed somewhat on highways and follow limits/slightly above in cities, depending on traffic and conditions .. unless it's pouring cats and dogs, or the sun is directed piercingly right atcha, or the road is full of multiple ess curves of orange cones.

I've friends who spend most of their driving time angry at slow pokes in front of them. How else do you look for an address but slowing to speed limit or slightly less.. given signage often gives little clue. Other drivers are human, may be sad or nauseous or worried or whatever.

Tailgater Hater
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:07 pm
echi wrote:
Another favorite is to get right next to someone else who's going the same speed as me, making it impossible for Speed-Racer to get around us. I love it. Twisted Evil

Right, the Wisconsin pass. Make sure you do it at about 5 mph below the speed limit, just so's nobody takes that "freeway" thing too seriously.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:10 pm
I have experienced road rage from those who created the incident in the first place.

It is funny how they back down as soon as they realize that you are not intimidated by them. I had one, when i was beside him and looking directly into his eyes who quickly averted my gaze and promptly proceeded to zoom through the red light. Fortunately, for other drivers, nobody was going through the intersection at the time.

A case of the bully being bullied.

I too like to box in the agressive driver between me and the car in the next lane. That really pisses them off. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:13 pm
I want one of those thingies for my wheels, like the guy used on his chariot in Ben Hur.
0 Replies