How is your garden looking today?

neko nomad

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:17 pm
Over here. the weather was clear to partly cloudy, with widely scattered afternoon and evening thundershowers today.
the heat is letting up somewhat, and I managed to do a fairly good job of waxing the car in preparation for the rainy weather ahead.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:20 pm
eoe said it's been too dry in some place and too wet in others. Here in the Boston area it's too dry one month and too wet the next. We've got it all here! wetwetwet.....
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:38 pm
It has been a pleasant autumn so far Smile A lot of my summer annuals are still looking nice! Marigolds and petunia. My cosmos have recently doubled in size and are covered with buds!! I really hope the flowers will open before the first frosts arrive. The dahlias are looking lovely too, and I am busy planting out spring bulbs, including my ambitious plan to have crocuses in the lawn without mutilating the lawn too much in the planting process Smile
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:33 pm
Can you send us a picture?
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:40 am
Thinkzink, I think you and I are kindred souls in gardening....

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgD!Ao8ZUFg0gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lbm0heBqMnhghG*5zO3Zw2B29PpPXcVdvyA67qZh*L5xDywlEs41mxaSRdxsajXmRhnt!4rC!AhFrHgdunLD5Z2Ib6G0wO9wQ/neko%20nomad%20377A.jpg

As far as my garden is concerned, autumn is over.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:17 am
Wilma did a number on my garden. The annuals shut down earlier than usual and the perennials are trying to regroup
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:43 am
BBB
The leaves have almost stopped dropping. Time to start raking.

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:50 pm
Neko

Stop posting those photographs of your fabulous garden this minute! You make me insanely jealous! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:29 pm
Aw, Ms. O: jealous, YOU ? You hafta be kidding. I'm more the plant addict
than gardener. Compliment well taken, though, and I thank you. Wait
till some of the modest gardeners start to post photos, as I myself
am hopefully waiting.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:43 pm
eastern lake ontario : no more lawn to cut !!! grass is lush and green - snow will be covering it soon. not many leaves left on the trees; we had a lot of heavy rain and pretty ferocious winds the last few days which cleaned out the trees. but we still have some parsley growing; it should be good until it gets a heavy snow cover. hbg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:59 am
I was noticing something odd yesterday. Although our oak tree (It is a red oak, I think, with large and now dark brown, leathery leaves.) is normally the last to lose its leaves, but this year the flowering cherry still sweetly holds her pale yellow leaves while surrounded at her feet by large piles of oak leaves. I KNOW this is different from past years. What's up, I wonder?

After having enviously noted some others gardens in the neighborhood, I am hoping to purchase some of those red-leafed trees that don't immediately drop everything at the first touch of cold. There are some (Sweet Gum? or some kind of maple?) that will hold their leaves for weeks, while others like my dogwoods turn red, curl and drop in the course of a couple of days.

Very disconcerting.

Here's a short poem by Thomas Hood for all of us northern gardeners:

"No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds -- November."

(and for Hamburger, I guess we could add, and no lawn to cut.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:18 pm
eastern lake ontario :
we have a sugar maple and a silver maple in front of our house - some 25 feet distance, on city property. the sugar maple usually holds on to its leaves well into december - but we have the problem of having the leaves fall on the snow and can't rake them off the lawn, a bit of a mess in the spring - sometimes the grass gets killed underneath. also, the sugar maple is a fast grower and we'll have to call the city every few years to trim back the branches. it would be very expensive if we would have to pay for it. hbg
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:24 am
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WgAAAGQaDb80gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lEOOaKG8g7MzDbpjbqpaoCMX36Krt1B5C4jYFKAcuOFZEQzveufW9jVfepoCCat*NT1jcH2MSIPa45asaMAxTePqWwqWnxCjwDJd6JFjLKss/neko%20nomad%20430A.jpg

Nekochan making an early spring tour of the garden (click on picture)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
Gotta divide the hostas this year. I'm terrified...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:20 pm
How do you know when you need to, eoe?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:25 pm
Eight tulips are no in full blossom on our roof terrace, a couple of narcissus will hopefully come tomorrow to give some colour.
(And perhaps the vialos from autumn recover soon, too.)

Hopefully I will get my Nikon D200 the forthcoming week (or at least relatively soon), so that I can make some digital photos.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:27 pm
I have a ton of daffodils! So cheery. The crocuses seem to be almost done.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:29 pm
We would have, too - but we've got only a couple of nights without frost since two weeks - and ten days ago, we still had snow in the pots outsite.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:08 pm
eoe wrote:
Gotta divide the hostas this year. I'm terrified...

They should be fine, eoe. You can either dig up the whole thing and replant smaller chunks or cut a pie=shaped wedge out of them and use the cutting for a new plant. The remaining part will be oddly shaped this year but will be fine by next year.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:29 pm
The plan is to dig them up, divide in half and replant half in same location, other half in new location. This weekend hopefully.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8319/hostasinjuneii2sh.png

Soz. this is how big they were last year. Too big for the space they're in and one iplant s beginning to choke. I've got to override my fears and save them!!!
0 Replies